Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cheap Kindle or other E-reader suggestions HELP!

Skinsfan1311

Good Morning, everyone!

One of the casualties of this current state of affairs is that the libraries are closed. This is really bad for me, because I've been spoiled, by having our our local branch a block from the house. I'm a voracious reader and this is killing me.  I've read, and re-read, everything in the house, but you can only revisit books so much.   I was lamenting the fact that I can't get books, when a friend told me that I could just download books to my phone.  HEADSLAP!!    I hadn't even thought of that! 

While I prefer the feel of a book in hand, I'm going to give in to technology, and buy some type of E-reader.  We have Amazon Prime and I'm a cheap ****.   All I need is the basics.

Any suggestions on what device to buy, and how to use them, or anything at all concerning these things would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Good Morning, everyone!

One of the casualties of this current state of affairs is that the libraries are closed. This is really bad for me, because I've been spoiled, by having our our local branch a block from the house. I'm a voracious reader and this is killing me.  I've read, and re-read, everything in the house, but you can only revisit books so much.   I was lamenting the fact that I can't get books, when a friend told me that I could just download books to my phone.  HEADSLAP!!    I hadn't even thought of that! 

While I prefer the feel of a book in hand, I'm going to give in to technology, and buy some type of E-reader.  We have Amazon Prime and I'm a cheap ****.   All I need is the basics.

Any suggestions on what device to buy, and how to use them, or anything at all concerning these things would be greatly appreciated!  

Thanks!

Kindle app for the phone and or tablet is free. Download overdrive/libby app afterwards and link it to your library account.

If you do want an actual dedicated ereader, I prefer the paperwhite models as it's easier to read and can also be read in the dark.

38 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

Kindle app for the phone and or tablet is free. Download overdrive/libby app afterwards and link it to your library account.

If you do want an actual dedicated ereader, I prefer the paperwhite models as it's easier to read and can also be read in the dark.

This is probably the way to go.  The Overdrive app is usually what libraries use to let you check out ebooks for free, then you can read them on the Kindle app on whatever device you have.

I have an Audible subscription for audiobooks since I usually listen to books during my commute.  It's kind of weird listening to a book on the couch, but here we are.  :ols:

Thanks everyone!   I'm definitely getting some type of device, because the screen on my Galaxy S7 is too small for these old eyes.    Since I'm telecommuting, I would prefer a larger screen.

46 minutes ago, KAOSkins said:

I do Kindle unlimited.  Decentish selection for $10 a month.  Had it for years and I make it payoff.  Really will depend on what you like.  I'm not so picky but I have to always have a book. 

Same here.    I devour books and the library closure is killing me.  

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

This is probably the way to go.  The Overdrive app is usually what libraries use to let you check out ebooks for free, then you can read them on the Kindle app on whatever device you have.

I'm sure you know but to clarify,  almost any book checked out from overdrive/libby can be read on the kindle (and not just the kindle app).

Just change the default delivery to the kindle and when it connects to wifi it will will download it.

__

Maybe we can use this thread for book recs/what are you reading too (possible title change in future, OP)?

Currently reading The Force by Don Winslow.  Next up is with Gravity's Rainbow (anyone ever read it?) by Thomas Pynchon or The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay.

Overdrive is now Libby and is part of the local (Loudoun County) library service. It includes a wide range of ebooks and audiobooks and supports Kindle.

The audiobooks on Libby work great on the phone for a run/walk and with Apple Car play when driving.

Amazon Paperwhite Kindle has been ordered.  Thanks, everyone!

47 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

I'm sure you know but to clarify,  almost any book checked out from overdrive/libby can be read on the kindle (and not just the kindle app).

Just change the default delivery to the kindle and when it connects to wifi it will will download it.

__

Maybe we can use this thread for book recs/what are you reading too (possible title change in future, OP)?

Currently reading The Force by Don Winslow.  Next up is with Gravity's Rainbow (anyone ever read it?) by Thomas Pynchon or The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay.

Thanks!   i'm on a historic fiction jag now.    I'm reading the Lincoln Letter my William Martin & The Rising tide, by Jeff shaara is on deck.  They should keep me occupied until the Kindle comes in.

Currently working through a Great Courses lecture on the history of London. 

London: A Short History of the Greatest City in the Western World https://www.amazon.com/dp/1598035290/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_CMMDEb32YY4JN

Next I have to finish up a sci fi novel about superintelligent spiders in space. 
https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asin=B07H29P76R&preview=newtab&linkCode=kpe&ref_=cm_sw_r_kb_dp_9OMDEbSRBF6AN

On 3/21/2020 at 1:29 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Amazon Paperwhite Kindle has been ordered.  Thanks, everyone!

Thanks!   i'm on a historic fiction jag now.    I'm reading the Lincoln Letter my William Martin & The Rising tide, by Jeff shaara is on deck.  They should keep me occupied until the Kindle comes in.

I just bought "The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz" by Erik Larson - though I haven't started yet...finishing up something else first.  If you like historic fiction you will like anything he writes.  He writes history, but they read like exciting historic fiction.  Everything I've read from him I've either liked or loved.  Last one I read from him was "Isaac's Storm" about the devastating hurricane that ravaged Galveston, Texas in 1900, the deadliest hurricane and greatest natural disaster in U.S. history.  First Larsen book I read was "The Devil in the White City" about the Chicago World's Fair and a serial killer operating a house of horrors just a few miles away.

58 minutes ago, TK said:

I've always just used my iPad. It's one less gimmick to pack &/or keep charged.

Same.  I have 230 books on this old iPad I’m using right now.  

Im reading The Shining now.  (because I want to read Doctor Sleep.)

14 hours ago, Destino said:

Same.  I have 230 books on this old iPad I’m using right now.  

I've got about the entire Star Wars library on there, a bunch of Neil Gaimen books & about the last 3-4 years of DC comics on my Air2 

Archived