Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's been

Ghost of

My turning point came in relation to ST's death. The following year I got really excited with Zorn's hot start.  We dropped a couple games at home to Pittsburgh and Dallas, but then pulled one out against Seattle on the road. Came home at 7-4 to face the Giants, who were having a great year defending their title, but had just lost Plax to a gunshot wound.  The game was around the one-year anniversary of ST's death, and I thought the team had a good chance to knock off NYG that day. Instead, Big Blue dominated us in every sense that day. After that, like you said, something about my die-hard mentality just evaporated. Yes, I did get excited about 2012 too, and still religiously watch every Sunday, but it hasn't been the same. 

I started to look at the players as individual human beings more after that.  I walked away from my job for a breather and started crying when I heard he died, I came back realizing they were just as human and mortal as the rest of us, which at that point I should've already known.

This carried over to the way I look at John Wall.  When he ended up out again for another long-term injury, I saw this was at the same time as him having his first kid and rumors his mother was dying.  I was unhappy he couldn't play for the team, but in my heart I knew the best thing for him was to be home through all that.  His mom just died recently, I'm glad he's able to focus on that any which way he needs to instead of trying to prop up what ever the hell it is Shep is trying to do right now.

Lavar was my first favorite Redskin and first jersey I ever threw away.  Last time I heard him in an interview he deeply regretted cutting himself away from the Redskins the way that he did.  I burried the hatched with him after that, not that I agreed with everything he said, but its easy to lose sight of who they are as people when the standard is so dominated by what they do on the field.  Some of these garbage players are the nicest people you could ever meet, you hear coaches say that all the time when they don't want to cut someone but the production just isn't there. Business.

I did meet Sean's dad at Training Camp one year, showed him my 21 patch tattoo on my chest, I know that meant a lot to him, it wasn't even fair for me to try and start with how much that meant to me, that was his son.  I remember when him and Sean's daughter showed up for one of the homecoming games against the Panthers, GD she looked just like him, its not right, its not fair.

So ya, going forward, my feeling towards Haskins is always going to be semi-skewed because he's from the DC area so I know he sees through the BS, he's younger then me, everyone younger then me who follows this team has seen nothing but BS.  As long as I feel he genieunly wants to change that, he's going to get a different type of pass with me.

• TK locked this topic

Archived