Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WSJ: Federal Prosecutors Conducting Criminal Probe of Juul

Cooked Crack

Federal prosecutors in California are conducting a criminal probe into e-cigarette maker Juul Labs Inc., according to people familiar with the matter, escalating law-enforcement scrutiny of the startup.

The investigation by the U.S. attorney’s office of the Northern District of California is in its early stages, the people said. The focus of the probe couldn’t be learned.

Blamed for a rise in vaping among teenagers, the fast-growing company has come under increasing scrutiny by state and federal officials. The Federal Trade Commission, the Food and Drug Administration and several state attorneys general are investigating its marketing practices. The Trump administration said earlier this month that it planned to ban most flavored e-cigarettes.

A Juul spokesman had no immediate comment. The San Francisco company has said it never marketed to teens and that its products are intended for adult cigarette smokers who want to switch. A spokesman for the U.S. attorney’s office said he couldn’t confirm or deny an ongoing investigation.

The FTC’s probe is focused on whether Juul used social-media influencers and other marketing techniques to appeal to minors, while the FDA is conducting a more wide-ranging investigation, covering marketing and outreach as well as the high nicotine content of Juul’s refill pods.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/federal-prosecutors-conducting-criminal-probe-of-juul-11569268759

9 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

Marketing flavors is not the same as marketing to children. My e-cig flavor is called "Yogurt & Berries", it's awesome, and I don't even let my grandkids see me use it (two of them are teens now).

Only kids like flavors!  Adults enjoy flavors like shoe leather and sadness.

The entire media discussion on vaping is clearly agenda driven and often gets ridiculous.  The worst part is it doesn't need to be.  It's not hard to make a calm factual case against nicotine use.  

As as for the recent illnesses, I'm guessing it's a sketchy additive people are putting into their own vapes.  Wouldn't be shocked if its to get high.  If it were a specific brand that was poisoning people they'd likely have noticed the link by now.  

The company also said Wednesday it has a new marketing strategy: It will suspend all TV, print and digital ads and it will stop some of its lobbying efforts. The company said it is committing to fully support and comply with any new federal policy related to vaping products. The US Food and Drug Administration is weighing regulations to ban all flavored e-cigarettes, which some consider particularly attractive to young users.

7 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

It's pretty obvious this attack against e-cigarettes is being led by the big tobacco companies. Their sales are being severely impacted so they are trying to get the government to eliminate their competition. 

If that were true, why would Altria be a major investor in Juul? 

I think they know times are a-changin' & would rather be on the better side in the end...the opposite of what fossil fuel companies are doing. 

I called it.

The findings were deeply troubling.

Of the three purchased from legal dispensaries in California, the CannaSafe testing company found no heavy metals, pesticides or residual solvents like Vitamin E.

But 13 out of the other 15 samples from black market THC cartridges were found to contain Vitamin E.

CannaSafe also tested 10 of the unregulated cartridges for pesticides. All 10 tested positive.

The products all contained myclobutanil, a fungicide that can transform into hydrogen cyanide when burned.

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/vaping/tests-show-bootleg-marijuana-vapes-tainted-hydrogen-cyanide-n1059356

Hidden amongst all this fake outrage against e cigs is the fact that they’re allowed to market in ways that cigarette companies aren’t.  THAT I have a problem with.  They shouldn’t be on TV, radio or print in the same way that cigarette companies aren’t.  Don’t let these companies advertise like they can currently.  Limit them to the same standards as tobacco companies.

I don’t care that they make berry flavors.  I don’t even think they’re as dangerous as smoking cigarettes (but they are still dangerous to some degree I’m sure).  I think the vape scare is man-made and not organic.

Not to mention that people who vape look dumb.  Just absolutely stupid.  Like half wits who have been tricked into thinking vaping is safe and fun and cool.  Morons.

9 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Not to mention that people who vape look dumb.  Just absolutely stupid.  Like half wits who have been tricked into thinking vaping is safe and fun and cool.  Morons.

Can we agree that SOME people who vape look dumb? I use mine normally, regular draw, regular exhale...those who create the huge vape clouds look dumb. 

At first glance I thought the thread title was "Federal Prosecutors Conducting Criminal Probe of Zuul"

I was like "Holy ****, how has it taken this long to get enough evidence to convince you Zuul has done some shady ****?"

I mean just look at the ****er. Not exactly the face of innocence. 

350?cb=20140515200520

10 hours ago, mistertim said:

At first glance I thought the thread title was "Federal Prosecutors Conducting Criminal Probe of Zuul"

I was like "Holy ****, how has it taken this long to get enough evidence to convince you Zuul has done some shady ****?"

I mean just look at the ****er. Not exactly the face of innocence. 

On 9/28/2019 at 8:52 AM, skinsmarydu said:

Can we agree that SOME people who vape look dumb? I use mine normally, regular draw, regular exhale...those who create the huge vape clouds look dumb. 

I know I look dumb, mine is full of 100% THC and after I hit it I look high and dumb as hell.

7 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I know I look dumb, mine is full of 100% THC and after I hit it I look high and dumb as hell.

It’s a shame because vaping THC is the way to go.  Theoretically, it’s way cleaner than smoking a joint, blunt, bong, bowl, etc.  

This is just one reason why it should be legalized nationally and subject to more stringent standards and safety protocols.

9 hours ago, Springfield said:

It’s a shame because vaping THC is the way to go.  Theoretically, it’s way cleaner than smoking a joint, blunt, bong, bowl, etc.  

This is just one reason why it should be legalized nationally and subject to more stringent standards and safety protocols.

I was never big into weed, I never liked to smoke it. You have to do all this work to it, sneak outside or cover your tracks inside, cough, gag, burn your throat, etc. The pen still makes me cough, but its way less painful and a lot more convenient.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived