Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2023-24 Washington Capitals Thread

ixcuincle

Just now, Hersh said:

Fire sale forth coming. Hopefully.Ā 

Caps will be selling, but who will be buying??? Can't imagine a strong demand for any of our players. Mantha should fetch a 2nd rounder. Everyone else (minus Wilson, Strome, and our young guys, who likely are all off the market) are worth Confederate currency right now.

Our best chance to improve at the deadline would be to use our extra cap space to take on salary dumps in exchange for draft picks.

Dark days ahead for this club.

I don't agree with Firesale, but certainly open to offers on a lot of players.Ā  I would consider a few vets untouchable; mostly Ovechkin and Oshie.Ā  Guys like Strome, Wilson, McMike, Protas, and Sandin have to be considered as part of our future core, and thus not on the block.Ā  I think Milano and Bear should probably be retained, too.

I like Mantha; I think Lavs did him dirty, and he's a bright spot in the darkness that is our scoring this season.Ā  It's also a contract year, though, so if we got a decent offer for him, we could trade him and talk to him about returning in free agency.

Rumor-mill has it that Nic Dowd is a highly-coveted deadline acquisition, and could command as high as a 1st round pick given how effective he is while making only $1.3 mil with another year on his contract.Ā  I think we'd have to take an offer like that.

The last time this club had a full on sell-off was 20 years ago, when ownership acknowledged the Jagr trade was an epic disaster and decided to tank for Ovi. It was painful at the time, but it turned out to be a franchise-altering decision.

The thing about that sell-off is that we had assets that were worth something. Players like Gonchar, Oates, Bondra, Witt, and Konowalchuk all brought in returns that helped build the Rock the Red era.Ā  Right now, we don't have dog****. We failed to sell high on ANY of our core players, and now they're just broken down, overpaid has-beens who couldn't get picked up by another club if we offered them for free.

Terrible mismanagement of this team, and we're staring at a long rebuild because of it.

6 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Rumor-mill has it that Nic Dowd is a highly-coveted deadline acquisition, and could command as high as a 1st round pick given how effective he is while making only $1.3 mil with another year on his contract.Ā  I think we'd have to take an offer like that.

Ā 

I like your insight on this thread and it's not often I disagree with you. But I've got a better chance of having a 3-way with Taylor Swift and Margot Robbie than GMBM does of convincing anyone to give up a 1st rounder for Nic Dowd.

1 hour ago, capcrunch98 said:

Ā 

I like your insight on this thread and it's not often I disagree with you. But I've got a better chance of having a 3-way with Taylor Swift and Margot Robbie than GMBM does of convincing anyone to give up a 1st rounder for Nic Dowd.

Ā 

He's just reporting what the NHL trade rumors and reporters have been saying the last few days so there is an outside chance of that given the market.Ā 

1 hour ago, PokerPacker said:

I don't agree with Firesale, but certainly open to offers on a lot of players.Ā  I would consider a few vets untouchable; mostly Ovechkin and Oshie.Ā  Guys like Strome, Wilson, McMike, Protas, and Sandin have to be considered as part of our future core, and thus not on the block.Ā  I think Milano and Bear should probably be retained, too.

I like Mantha; I think Lavs did him dirty, and he's a bright spot in the darkness that is our scoring this season.Ā  It's also a contract year, though, so if we got a decent offer for him, we could trade him and talk to him about returning in free agency.

Ā 

Everyone not named Ovechkin and Wilson should be available for the right offer. Please do not bring Mantha back. Never trust a player that hasn't produced in a while then suddenly has a good season in a contract year.Ā 

Ā 

As @capcrunch98Ā rightly points out, there aren't many with trade value so there really won't be a fire sale. I wonder what they'd be able to get for Carlson.Ā 

1 hour ago, Hersh said:

Ā 

Everyone not named Ovechkin and Wilson should be available for the right offer. Please do not bring Mantha back. Never trust a player that hasn't produced in a while then suddenly has a good season in a contract year.Ā 

Ā 

As @capcrunch98Ā rightly points out, there aren't many with trade value so there really won't be a fire sale. I wonder what they'd be able to get for Carlson.Ā 

I understand your position on Mantha, but I thought he played better than he was given credit for before this season.Ā  Lavs dumped him in the dog house and put him in poor position to perform, but I thought he still looked pretty good even when the numbers on the scoresheet weren't there.

1 minute ago, PokerPacker said:

I understand your position on Mantha, but I thought he played better than he was given credit for before this season.Ā  Lavs dumped him in the dog house and put him in poor position to perform, but I thought he still looked pretty good even when the numbers on the scoresheet weren't there.

Ā 

I guess the main question would be, what's the point of bringing him back? He will be 30 to start next season and, to me, the Caps need to get young and not worry about winning at all next season.

8 hours ago, Hersh said:

Ā 

He's just reporting what the NHL trade rumors and reporters have been saying the last few days so there is an outside chance of that given the market.Ā 

I like Dowd. He's a solid player, great team guy, the kind of player who deserves to win a championship at some point in his career.

But that would absolutely blow my mind if we could get a 1st rounder straight up for him (or anyone else on our roster besides Wilson, Strome, or McMichael).Ā 

The only real assets we have going into the deadline are Mantha and cap space, which we should use to take on bad contracts from contending teams with draft picks as sweeteners.

Dowd will bring a nice return. Not sure about a #1 but it's not out of the question. He's one of the best 4th liners in the NHL. Dominant in the D zone, plays C and wins faceoffs, kills penalties, scores every now and then, has another year left on a great contract.Ā 

Ā 

Definitely need to move Mantha as well. He's never played "bad" imo, but he's not worth anywhere close to the 5.7 million he gets. He makes nearly as much as Oshie and more than Wilson. Even in his wildest dream he's no (healthy) TJ Oshie or Tom Wilson.Ā 

• Like 2

All things considered, tonight went perfect:

Ovi scored

Mantha scored (helping his trade value, as he's one of the only tradeable assets we have worth more than bear crap)

We played well, so the game was worth watching and I wasn't embarrassed to be a Caps fan

We lost, which sadly is the best result right now for a team facing the beginning of a rebuildĀ 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

On 10/19/2023 at 12:29 PM, Hersh said:

I'm firmly in the camp that they could've retooled over the last few years and still remained competitive but they allowed their emotions to dictate too many moves. The Caps went all in on getting older despite the results in the playoffs after the Cup. When was the last time the Caps didn't have a legitimate goalie prospect? They certainly do not at the moment.Ā 

Ā 

Anyway, this team is headed for a bottom 5 finish in the league. It's likely to be a very painful two seasons as far as on ice play.Ā 

Ā 

If not for the one 9-1-1 stretch early in this season, Caps would be on track for a top-5 pick right now. Currently 10th, with room to fall to maybe 6th. Desperately need top-10 or higher draft talent.Ā 

Edited by Hersh
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Hersh said:

Ā 

If not for the one 9-1-1 stretch early in this season, Caps would be on track for a top-5 pick right now.

Ā 

Very true, although as a fan I would never lament a 9-1-1 run. We needed that at the time, with Backstrom stepping away, Oshie injured, and Ovi showing signs of slowing down. And it allowed the team to see what they had in Lindgren.

There will be plenty of losing and high draft picks for this team over the next couple years, whether management wants it or not.

• Like 1

Yup, this team has the talent to pull off wins like these against the top clubs. The problem is they're just not good enough to do it consistently. Watch - they'll lay an egg in their next home game against a bottom-feeder.

But for today, they looked great, so hats off to them.

23 minutes ago, capcrunch98 said:

Yup, this team has the talent to pull off wins like these against the top clubs. The problem is they're just not good enough to do it consistently. Watch - they'll lay an egg in their next home game against a bottom-feeder.

But for today, they looked great, so hats off to them.

That next home game is tomorrow (1:30) against the Canucks.

2 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

That next home game is tomorrow (1:30) against the Canucks.

Yes, I'm aware if that (have tickets actually). I didn't mean literally their next home game.

My point is that they're talented enough to beat one of the top teams in their own barn, but flawed enough to turn around and no-show in a game they should win. This past Tuesday's home stinker against Montreal is a fine example.

Edited by capcrunch98
  • Thumb up 1