Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eli - career win %

Nerm

12 hours ago, Nerm said:

He is now one game above .500, though they play the Bills next.  Also, when Daniel Jones played the Giants final drive last week, he lost a fumble to Dallas.  So, that may extend Eli's grasp as the medium term starter.

I didn't see the game. I just figure, knowing the giants, that they would sit him to preserve his legacy, simultaneously allowing an excuse to start Jones. 

On 8/17/2019 at 6:51 PM, Nerm said:

It looks like Eli is expected to be the starter for the Giants to begin the season.  I reviewed his career stats, and I noticed that he is only 2 games above .500 as a starter in his regular season games.  So, I thought I would ask everyone....

Do you think Eli will end his career with a winning record, at .500, or with a loosing record?

and... Do you think it matters when it comes time for HOF votes?

I don't know if there are any QBs with loosing records in the HOF.  I think Warren Moon was 1 game over .500, and Dan Fouts was 2 games over, but they did not have SB wins.

On 8/22/2019 at 6:22 AM, SkinsGuy said:

His last name is Manning.

So that won't hurt him.

Yeah, his father Archie Manning is in the Hall of Fame and has a worse record, in fact:

His record as a starter was 35–101–3 (26.3%), the worst in NFL history among QBs with at least 100 starts.[14] He retired having never played on a team that notched a winning record nor made the playoffs. Indeed, he is one of the few players to have played 10 or more years in the NFL without taking part in an official playoff game.

So, Eli sits at .500 currently.  He could get more starts in the future, depending on Jones' health and/or performance.  I read that Eli is not willing to waive his no trade clause, so it kind of seems like he does not want to play for another team at this point.  I am intrigued by the possibility of a Bernie Kosar type ending to his career.  After becoming a Browns legend, he was cut towards the end of the season, and signed with Dallas to step in to replace an injured Aikman, to win a playoff game.  I wonder if Eli or the Giants would consider letting him go to a potential Super Bowl team that was dealing with an injury to their QB.

On 9/18/2019 at 11:32 PM, Nerm said:

So, Eli sits at .500 currently.  He could get more starts in the future, depending on Jones' health and/or performance.  I read that Eli is not willing to waive his no trade clause, so it kind of seems like he does not want to play for another team at this point.  I am intrigued by the possibility of a Bernie Kosar type ending to his career.  After becoming a Browns legend, he was cut towards the end of the season, and signed with Dallas to step in to replace an injured Aikman, to win a playoff game.  I wonder if Eli or the Giants would consider letting him go to a potential Super Bowl team that was dealing with an injury to their QB.

No team will trade anything of note for Eli. His contract expires at season's end, he'll probably just end up retiring and getting a hero's celebration(deservedly so)in New York.

Just now, Warhead36 said:

No team will trade anything of note for Eli. His contract expires at season's end, he'll probably just end up retiring and getting a hero's celebration(deservedly so)in New York.

I think that he will retire as a Giant at the end of this season also.  Sounds like he wants to be a career player for one team, rather than try for one last chance with another team.  I respect that.  But, there is a part of me that thinks he could be a very interesting option for a team needing a Vet QB that could step in for a game or two to keep an offense functioning at a reasonable level.  

But, I don't think either the Giants or Eli find that very appealing.

Dude, Eli is and always was average at best. That Giants team was all Tom Coughlin. He never put up 20 points in either SB.

For instance, just a year ago Coughlin was GM for a team with Blake Bortles at QB that made it 1 game from the SB and almost beat the Patriots.

Blake Bortles was almost a possible SB hero and he's no worse than we all thought about Eli in 2007 when he lucked himself into a SB thanks to Coughlin.

• 2 months later...

It looks like Eli is probably going to start this week against Philly, due to Jones' injury.  Eli goes into this game with a 116-116 career record.   This could be his last chance to start a game.  I'm rooting for him to come out of it with a winning record for his career... because Philly.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:10 PM, Nerm said:

It looks like Eli is probably going to start this week against Philly, due to Jones' injury.  Eli goes into this game with a 116-116 career record.   This could be his last chance to start a game.  I'm rooting for him to come out of it with a winning record for his career... because Philly.

I'm not sure if I want him to improve his record or not tonight lol

I was on Wikipedia doing some research, and apparently this is the first time in history that the eagles took the rivalry lead with the giants.  Whats crazy is, this rivalry goes all the way back to 1933 (as seen by the coaches hat last night)

What's really crazy is how they took the lead.  I never realized this but they have absolutely dominated the giants lately.  Look at this:

Since 2010 they have gone 15-4 against the giants.  (17-4 since 2009)

Season Season series at Philadelphia Eagles at New York Giants Overall series  
2010 Eagles 2–0 Eagles
27–17
Eagles
38–31
Giants
82–74–2

2011 Tie 1–1 Giants
29–16
Eagles
17–10
Giants
83–75–2

2012 Tie 1–1 Eagles
19–17
Giants
42–7
Giants
84–76–2

2013 Tie 1–1 Giants
15–7
Eagles
36–21
Giants
85–77–2

2014 Eagles 2–0 Eagles
27–0
Eagles
34–26
Giants
85–79–2

2015 Eagles 2–0 Eagles
27–7
Eagles
35–30
Giants
85–81–2

2016 Tie 1–1 Eagles
24–19
Giants
28–23
Giants
86–82–2

2017 Eagles 2–0 Eagles
27–24
Eagles
34–29
Giants
86–84–2

2018 Eagles 2–0 Eagles
25–22
Eagles
34–13
Tie
86–86–2

2019 Eagles 1-0 Eagles
23-17(OT)
December 29 Eagles
87–86–2

He beat the Pats twice by scoring sub 20 points in games where the defense totally shut Tom Brady down.

I'd be for him getting into the HOF if he won shootouts 38-35 or something but 17 points is a HOFer where that's absolutely 100% of his claim for the HOF?

No ****ing way.

58 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

He beat the Pats twice by scoring sub 20 points in games where the defense totally shut Tom Brady down.

I'd be for him getting into the HOF if he won shootouts 38-35 or something but 17 points is a HOFer where that's absolutely 100% of his claim for the HOF?

No ****ing way.

Yes, a QB is only a Hall of Famer if he wins shootouts 38-35. Strong analysis. There are plenty of reasons why he shouldn't be in, but that isnt a valid one.

And the Giants scored 21 pts, unless you believe that kickers magically teleport up the field and kick fg's, which would eliminate many game winning drives (which is the ultimate test for a QB, one he excelled at), because stuff...

1 hour ago, Mr. Sinister said:

And the Giants scored 21 pts, unless you believe that kickers magically teleport up the field and kick fg's, which would eliminate many game winning drives (which is the ultimate test for a QB, one he excelled at), because stuff...

Yet you apparently didn't watch the game because if you had then you'd have known that the first points in the game was a Tom Brady intentional grounding Safety. 2 points from 21 is 19.

Eli never put up 20.

20 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

Yet you apparently didn't watch the game because if you had then you'd have known that the first points in the game was a Tom Brady intentional grounding Safety. 2 points from 21 is 19.

Eli never put up 20.

Oh nah, I did. Missed the quarter or so(work related).

Eli never put up 20, got it. QB's must score over 30 pts to be considered hall of famers (or something). So really that nugget does nothing to plug the leaky boat that is your argument, especially considering who/what he beat.

Why does Eli deserve to be in the HoF and 2 time SB winner Ken Stabler doesn't?

Eli will get in because he played in NY. Peter King is one of the loudest voices on the committee, and he ranked the 1990 Bills as better than the 1991 Redskins (seriously). He lead the fight against Art Monk, then abruptly did an about face the very year before his butt buddy Cris Carter became eligible... because all the reasons he gave for excluding Monk (no signature catch, no domination of playoff games... despite over 100 yards in his last SB, not the best WR on his team, etc.) were far more applicable to Carter (who never made it to a SB because he got shut down in both his NFCC games).

King says Theismann, who won an MVP while setting the NFL scoring record, didn't deserve to have his number unofficially off limits, but has made the case that Phil Simms belongs in the HoF.

Do you think Joe Namath would be in the HoF if he had played for, say, the Chargers? Do you think Jeremy Shockey would have made the Pro Bowl over Witten and Cooley if he had played for the Seahawks?

Oh cool... This guy shouldn't be in because that guy never got in, and because that other guy got in over my idol who should've gone in before him, yadda yadda. 

No one said it was fair. I also think Namath is probably one of the more overrated players in history. Not everyone is there because of consistency in their career from start to finish. Sometimes is also what they did in a 5-6 year stretch.

And your Cris Carter argument interesting. Pretty sure some of his best years in Minny came when Randy Moss was probably still in HS, so "Not the best receiver on his team" is a real stretch, not to mention you can be sure he benefited from having Carter across from him.

Ken Stabler should be in. Our guy B Mitch should be in. Hester and Vinatieri will get in before him for sp teams. Hell, Jacoby and the Higs should have their own private wing. Won't happen. It's not fair, but it never will be.

Eli will get in for reasons already stated, and while he will be a HOF'er, he won't be at the grown folks table with Elway, Marino, Baugh, Staubach,  Brady, Montana, etc. But a HOF'er he will be nonetheless, and deservedly so. There is no logical argument where he is not, if you examine his complete body of work, and saying he shouldn't be in because someone else isn't is not a valid argument.Yall need to let this go.

Archived