Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Atlantic: Ronald Reagan's Long-Hidden Racist Conversation with Richard Nixon

Cooked Crack

7 hours ago, LD0506 said:

As ever, I am amused.

People clutching their pearls at the thought that Saint Ronnie the Oblivious was somehow not the endearing avuncular uncle prototype they had always been told? That he was actually the same type of closeted, close-minded bigot that the rest of the Repubs have always been? SHOCKING! Shocking I tell you!

I know that a lot of you younguns weren't around for Reagans '80 campaign, but I can vouch for the fact that TONS of this came out, there was a slew of stories about what a POS he was in private and it was roundly dismissed as lies, snark or bitter grapes. 

People don't WANT to know, people want to stumble along in their fantasy dayscape of whatever they heard last and simply dismiss any evidence that vast numbers of their fellow citizens are not just ****ty people, but openly, gleefully ****ty people that will applaud oppression and terror as long as it is happening to a group they are not fond of. They will find an excuse, and if they can't, they'll make one up.

The Republican Party has played this longer than I've been alive. It is the one consistent aspect to their creed. 

"Sounds like one group trying to control another group. In other words, BUSINESS AS USUAL. in America." - George Carlin

11 minutes ago, Kosher Ham said:

You folks are discussing a conversation that happened when? What's the relevant point? 

Silly. 

Next time we'll be sure to consult you on what's allowed and useful to talk about.

3 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

You folks are discussing a conversation that happened when? What's the relevant point? 

Silly. 

Ok, I'll play.........

The "relevant point" in this is the underlying, systemic hypocrisy of the whole "We're not Trump Republicans" and "Reagan was so much better" which is, in technical, scientific terms, a seething pile of horse****.

Trump is Bush is Reagan is Nixon is Barry ****ing blow us all to smithereens Goldwater, etc., etc., and so on. 

The historical amnesia that has people clutching their pearls about Reagan's comments is the same disease that dismisses gangs of thugs breaking legs in Hoovervilles near a century ago. The Republicans are what they always were. The willful blindness I alluded to in an earlier post bears directly on this and the nightmarish passage we are going through today.

Reagan wasn't he first, worst or only one to say this kind of ****. They ALL say this behind closed doors. They have been saying this **** for a couple centuries now. This is the basic element of their identity.

There is no statute of limitations when the bad actors continue to commit the offenses, it is just the latest version of the same damned thing.

Regarding Saint Ronnie, all I can think of is...

On 7/31/2019 at 11:52 AM, BenningRoadSkin said:

Poor whites have to realize that what they believe is the American Dream is a myth. (and I need people to read this sentence twice to get what I am saying because I have a feeling some will miss it)

Think about the Civil War. A generation of poor white men died in combat over slavery. They owned no effing slaves yet felt solidarity with the slaveowners. They support the advances of the wealthy because that is what they are told to do...

On 7/31/2019 at 1:04 PM, AsburySkinsFan said:

Oh I absolutely agree. When poor whites in Eastern Kentucky hear about the struggles in black urban areas they don't see that as special at all. They have their parents locked up (meth and pills) they know the abject poverty, they know what it means to struggle to get by. You're right they do have white privilege but it comes with far less advantages than middle class whites to be sure. I think that politicians become blind to that fact which is why Trump is so popular with those folks. And in a generation we'll be hearing them say the same things that some blacks now say about the Democratic party.

It's been this way ever since Bacon's rebellion and almost without exception, poor whites have continued to fall for it, hook, line and sinker. To paraphrase the way Lyndon Johnson put it, they can be as poor as church mice, but they'll stay happy as long as they have the n*****s to look down on. Tяmp and his minions/policies are just an extension of this.

5 hours ago, Kosher Ham said:

Silly. 

I dont know...  but it does make me wonder why we never find some shady tape about Bill Clinton... about grabbing some intern in the... well, you know... Maybe a FUBU comment from obama? Where are those tapes at?! 

26 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I dont know...  but it does make me wonder why we never find some shady tape about Bill Clinton... about grabbing some intern in the... well, you know... Maybe a FUBU comment from obama? Where are those tapes at?! 

You honestly think that as much as the Grand Oligarch's Party hates Slick Willie and Obama that if there was something like this, it wouldn't have been found? The flip side of the liberal conspiracy angle you seem to be thinking of is that the Saint Ronnie tape was not somehow made public during his political career when it could have done real damage. Or was the liberal media not in existence back then?

Doesn't surprise me in the slightest.  

I had plenty of relatives around Reagan's age who said some absolutely sick, disgusting stuff behind closed doors they would never say in public.   And these were not the plant a burning cross in someone's yard types. 

Archived