Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2020 Comprehensive Draft Thread

zCommander

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That would be great. Sprinkle hasnt been awful, but it's such a huge hole on a team that cant run the ball and a rookie QB.

The odd thing about Sprinkle is he's not even a good blocker, he's mediocre at it.  So what does he do well?

From what I read the Colts were upset that they lost Hentges, they tried to get him through waivers to promote another player for injury reasons.   Colts are also loaded at TE.

@volsmet I watched the Oregon Cal game and I see your complaint about Herbert's play.  That was a rough night, to say the least.  I don't think he's seeing the field all that well.  These are mistakes where he's throwing into man coverage that he should be seeing.  He's also missing low options on hi-lows to push the ball downfield into coverage.  This was a guy who is pressing and not playing with the necessary composure.

But he also just didn't have it that night.  His placement was less than 50/50 and perversely, I thought he actually had better throws when he was pressured.  Basically he has that special arm to where he can push the ball outside the numbers on the run/in the air so he looks good and instinctive on the run.  But his pocket touch was awful.

One of my big complaints about Herbert last year mirrored my complaint about Lock--it just feels like way too much work to move the chains with him.  This is an overlooked trait in QB evaluation IMO.  It's what made Haskins a much better prospect than him.  You need a passer who can be a chain-moving workhorse to run a high powered NFL passing offense.  Herbert's just got no rhythm in his offense because he's not consistent with his reads nor his touch.  They are up and down series to series, much less game to game.  That offense, with that OL and TE blocking like they do, and with those speedy backs and receivers, should be a chain-moving monster.  One of the best in country.  But they just lack consistency and flow.

People are going to see the special arm and high end athleticism and those next level throws that he makes from time to time are going to weigh heavily in his favor.  Somebody is going to draft him hoping to get Carson Wentz.  But he's just never going to be that.  These are situations where he's getting the mismatches to be successful and he's just missing throws and reads.

Cal has absolutely nothing on offense.  That's why they lost this game.  That one running back is tough, but they've got no shot at moving the ball on a good defense.

Cal's secondary looks very good though.  Davis has been popping and he's worth watching and all three of those corners looked pretty good too.  Even Weaver was pulling his weight in coverage.  Their man coverages looked good.

I thought Throckmorton looked pretty good when I focused on him.  But once again, the guys I came away impressed with were the left side.  Once again, Lemieux is the one you trust when you need tough yards like third or fourth and short or on the goal line.  I noticed the Oregon RBs frequently cutting back to get into his lane when the design of the run was closed.  And Breeland was impressive.  He's growing on me because he showed off some versatility as a receiver in that game.  The ability to find and slip into holes in zones is excellent and he showed some real skill adjusting to bad placement.  He looks like an NFL player who can start as a rookie.  Their Center isn't anything special.  Kind of a JAG in the middle of five other very talented players up on the line.  He doesn't have to do much and it frequently doesn't matter if he falls off or misses his block.

If Dwayne Haskins were quarterbacking that team they'd be undefeated and ranked fifth and pushing for a playoff spot.

We do need to talk about Niang and Hall at some point.  Haven't fully evaluated them yet, but the size is the first thing that jumps out to me about both of them.  Niang is huge and that full arm extension is deadly.  Hall is long armed for a corner with a wide set to his shoulder so his frame is really big.  Pair that with the good click and close athleticism and he plays the ball so well.  I love his off man coverages.  He's really comfortable in that transition from backpedal to bail and to taking off to pattern match and he thrives when he gets to read the QB.  Real natural balance and flexibility too.  I like the way he baits QBs into throwing into his coverages then getting there with that shocking close.  He just knows how to let his length work for him and the ball skills are good.

And the strength and physicality are there in force.  He's a handful to block.  He'll be a well-rounded corner that is an asset against the run.

I wish we could see him in press more.  I have my suspicions that he's not as physical and aggressive in the contact window as he should be given his strength level.  He plays a clean game for someone who makes so many plays on the ball.  But I wish he was mean and played angry so he could be like a Marlon Humphrey type corner.

I want to see more of him, but right now I am thinking first round grade on him and that I like him a lot.  Maybe it's the uniform, but he looks like someone the Bears would have playing for them.

So far, I think Okudah is a better athlete and I think I still like Diggs a little more than him.  Not totally sure on that yet.  The way this class is shaping up, I think we're going to probably get like five corners in the top 40 picks who are good.  That's our range to add one IMO.  Hall fits with what I want us to do too--more man coverage on the outside and build the stable of DBs that can be rotate inside and outside and be physical in run support. 

36 minutes ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

We do need to talk about Niang and Hall at some point.  Haven't fully evaluated them yet, but the size is the first thing that jumps out to me about both of them.  Niang is huge and that full arm extension is deadly.

So far, I think Okudah is a better athlete and I think I still like Diggs a little more than him.  Not totally sure on that yet.  The way this class is shaping up, I think we're going to probably get like five corners in the top 40 picks who are good.  That's our range to add one IMO.  Hall fits with what I want us to do too--more man coverage on the outside and build the stable of DBs that can be rotate inside and outside and be physical in run support. 

That's high praise for Diggs, given that analyst consensus for Okudah is Top 5 if not Top 3.  They say he's got better attributes/intangibles than both Denzel Ward (#4 overall) and Marshon Lattimore (#11 overall).

Wirfs, Thomas, etc are tempting.  But as we all know here, there's too many moving pieces in the run game for 1 elite player (Trent Williams) to suddenly fix a major issue.  If the TE's can't block, or the interior can't handle a stunt, then the run game is sunk, no matter if there's an elite OT moving people with ease or not.

I like the idea of trading down, grabbing Niang (late 1st to early 2nd is his projection right?) or Leatherwood, as well as a bevy of other quality players.  Last years CB class blew, whereas this years seems to be the opposite.

P.S.  I'm interested in drafting more speed at WR.  We all like Trey Quinn, but he can be upgraded.  So I'm looking at Slot guys who can maybe fulfill other WR duties as well.  Like occasional 'Y' or maybe downblocking on a run play. 

-I've seen a bit of Tyler Johnson, Minnesota, and he ain't it.  He plays mostly in the slot, but he's not what I'm looking for at all.

-DeVonta Smith is a tentative yes.  He plays outside more often, mostly because Jeudy is just so lethal in the slot, but his potential is up there, and he's got the athleticism for sure.

4 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

That's high praise for Diggs, given that analyst consensus for Okudah is Top 5 if not Top 3.  They say he's got better attributes/intangibles than both Denzel Ward (#4 overall) and Marshon Lattimore (#11 overall).

My bad, I wasn't clear.  I like Diggs better than Hall, not Okudah.  Okudah is the cleanest CB prospect in the class.  I'd put him 3rd on the big board right now.

Anyone ever watch George kittle play? He routinely owns linebackers and defensive lineman. Really clean blocking.

The ability to block then switch to a route runner, create seperation, and be a mismatch against the secondary really sets him apart from other tight ends in the league imo. 

It would be extremely helpful to have a player of that caliber in the redskins offense, especially if we plan to run a run heavy/playaction scheme in the future.

For years our 1 dimensional tight ends have made our offense predictable and that even with some pass catching prowess, i think we'd be better off with players that can block better. 

I would like to see us clean the slate at tight end in the offseason. 

30 minutes ago, volsmet said:

Kittle is the rare quick twitch TE, dude is explosive.

Yep. I'm watching him just completely outplay defenders via the run game, then he switches to the slot, is double covered and still gets open. Or the whole block for 2 seconds then drift to the soft spot in the zone. 

The amount of attention the defense puts towards him and it still doesn't matter. Must be a coaches dream. 

I haven't looked at this year's draft but I hope we can find someone similar. 

17 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

Yep. I'm watching him just completely outplay defenders via the run game, then he switches to the slot, is double covered and still gets open. Or the whole block for 2 seconds then drift to the soft spot in the zone. 

The amount of attention the defense puts towards him and it still doesn't matter. Must be a coaches dream. 

I haven't looked at this year's draft but I hope we can find someone similar. 

There probably aren’t 11 things a human can think of that I wouldn’t do to get George Kittle on my team. I’d probably take prime Gronk & Kittle on my team over Odell & Hop.

2 minutes ago, volsmet said:

There probably aren’t 11 things a human can think of that I wouldn’t do to get George Kittle on my team. I’d probably take prime Gronk & Kittle on my team over Odell & Hop.

I'll take Kittle and dhop. 

Don't get me wrong I think gronk was a beast but I don't think he is viewed nearly the same if he didn't have brady. I just feel with the oft injuries and partying mentality that it might not have worked elsewhere. 

Beckham is straight overrated though. 

21 minutes ago, sportjunkie07 said:

I'll take Kittle and dhop. 

Don't get me wrong I think gronk was a beast but I don't think he is viewed nearly the same if he didn't have brady. I just feel with the oft injuries and partying mentality that it might not have worked elsewhere. 

Beckham is straight overrated though. 

I mean to make the point that I’d take the top 2 TEs over two top 5 WRs, which would be unpopular, but you could wear a D down for 60 minutes with those glorious TEs.

9 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Damn! Looks like it's minimally an ankle. Hope that's all, he is okay and he can come back this season. If he can't hope it doesn't affect his draft status.

He was one of my crushes from last year. He is one of those guys I'd love to the Redskins grab if they can accumulate a number of picks. He will probably go between pick 15-25.

5 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Damn! Looks like it's minimally an ankle. Hope that's all, he is okay and he can come back this season. If he can't hope it doesn't affect his draft status.

He was one of my crushes from last year. He is one of those guys I'd love to the Redskins grab if they can accumulate a number of picks. He will probably go between pick 15-25.

Now that he's hurt we might draft him.

Breeland is the best blocking tight end I've seen so far this season.  He splits out wide and he does play in an H or wing back position from time to time, but he's an in line tight end in truth.

He's not a twitchy player or someone who is going to torch man coverage, but he is highly effective working middle zones and he's a big target and he's a smooth receiver with a nice catch radius and soft hands.

Top 50 pick.

15 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

P.S.  I'm interested in drafting more speed at WR.  We all like Trey Quinn, but he can be upgraded.  So I'm looking at Slot guys who can maybe fulfill other WR duties as well.  Like occasional 'Y' or maybe downblocking on a run play. 

-I've seen a bit of Tyler Johnson, Minnesota, and he ain't it.  He plays mostly in the slot, but he's not what I'm looking for at all.

-DeVonta Smith is a tentative yes.  He plays outside more often, mostly because Jeudy is just so lethal in the slot, but his potential is up there, and he's got the athleticism for sure.

Justin Jefferson from LSU is my favorite pure slot receiver in the class.  True toughness despite his stringy build.  He is a silky route runner with a knack for exploiting zones and a competitor when the ball is in the air.  There is some long speed there to pair with all of that quickness.  He's a hungry alpha type receiver who is much more than the sum of his parts.  You will trust him when you quarterback his team.  Indeed it looks like he's beaten out his more talented and highly regarded teammates to be Burrow's safety blanket.

Right now drafttek has him in the fourth to fifth round range, which feels like value of about three rounds in truth.

I also love his teammate JaMar Chase on the outside for us.  That guy has real speed.  Reminds me of OBj a little.  He's one to watch for 2021 as a potential first round pick.

Archived