Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NBC4: Virginia Students Told to Be Slaves for Black History Month Gym Activity

TD_washingtonredskins

2 minutes ago, TryTheBeal! said:

These rankings are pretty solid, but stay on your toes...I think Malia Obama is gonna play some beer pong this weekend while wearing a BLM crop-top.  

That could shake our nation to its very core!

#gummysharks

Dude, ease up on my gummysharks.  You know you enjoy them just as much.  

It's like McDonalds, there are two types of people.  Those who like McDonalds and those who lie about not liking McDonalds.  Gummysharks are for everyone.

(sign me up for pics of Malia Obama in a crop top, btw)

elementary school teachers are charged with teaching important information to an age group where sitting in a desk all day listening to lectures and reading text books is not all that productive.

so they're forced to be creative.

i have no problem with this and wish people would stop going straight to outrage and learn to think a little bit. we're becoming an incredibly weak society.

4 minutes ago, tshile said:

elementary school teachers are charged with teaching important information to an age group where sitting in a desk all day listening to lectures and reading text books is not all that productive.

so they're forced to be creative.

i have no problem with this and wish people would stop going straight to outrage and learn to think a little bit. we're becoming an incredibly weak society.

I just think we're becoming an incredibly bored society...I'm generalizing here, but we have millions of people with WAY too much time on their hands. I live in Loudoun and a lot of the parents of elementary through high school students:

Don't work/work from home all day

Have their houses cleaned by maids

Have their groceries delivered 

Have nannies or au pairs for their younger kids

Have their yards taken care of by others

By 9:45 many of these people have NOTHING TO DO. So, when these things pop up they have the luxury of being outraged simply to kill the time before Jayden and Baylee need to be picked up from school. 

I get what the teacher was trying to accomplish. My mom did something similar im her 4th grade class actually but it was not "about slaves" or race. Teach simply separated the class in 3rds and treated one group nicely (snacks, games) one group okish (basically had regular class) and one group had to clean up at the end of the day, got no recess and couldn't watch the movie. The next day the okish kids got to join the snack and game times. But the **** group never did. We talked about how much is sucked on friday and then everyone got Pizza and smiles for the rest of the day. 

Point got across. No slaves. No parent teacher issues (that I knew of) 

1 hour ago, TryTheBeal! said:

I think Malia Obama is gonna play some beer pong this weekend while wearing a BLM crop-top.  

Well...how short is the crop top? Don't even get me started on the beer pong game...because you are completely mislabeling it. If you're going to appropriate a game from my generation then please name it right. Beer pong is played on a ping pong table with paddles and beer in each corner.

The game you are most likely referencing is actually called Beruit or TEP, and usually involves more beer then the incorrectly named Millenial version...😤🤬🤣

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I definitely disagree with the part in bold.  People ARE REALLY stupid.  

Now it's more accurate

"Thomas said she has met with Stewart and with parents to try to come up with solutions to "remedy this racist act" 

I have an idea. Let's just call everything racist. 

Misleading, click bait headline. Shocker.

I give it three smolletts out of four. 

20 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I get what the teacher was trying to accomplish. My mom did something similar im her 4th grade class actually but it was not "about slaves" or race. Teach simply separated the class in 3rds and treated one group nicely (snacks, games) one group okish (basically had regular class) and one group had to clean up at the end of the day, got no recess and couldn't watch the movie. The next day the okish kids got to join the snack and game times. But the **** group never did. We talked about how much is sucked on friday and then everyone got Pizza and smiles for the rest of the day. 

Point got across. No slaves. No parent teacher issues (that I knew of) 

I think this is a much bigger problem than people realize.  The message gets distorted because the 'journey' to it is done a certain way.  People get upset by the way they get talked to, without looking at themselves and saying "well if I hadn't messed up, it would never have happened."  The idea that the teacher was trying focus more on the strength of the underground railroad, than the slavery itself should be a story of perseverance and applause.  People overcoming the bigger issue.

A completely different issue that I find myself going through, within this very thread right now, is that I know I am a white male who lives in Northern Virginia, so I have to be very cautious about how I respond to make sure it doesn't get taken like I'm supporting racist acts.  I find myself thinking about my response multiple times with the idea that I want to make sure it doesnt get misinterpreted.  Circling back to the original post, I feel like this teacher has fallen victim to the same thing.  I'm assuming the teacher is white.  I feel like this teacher was trying to teach a lesson, and the lesson is getting completely overshadowed by the 'questionable' action to get that message across.  

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Beer pong with actual paddles = white privilege. 

:bye:

Pffft...shows how much you know..the African American fraternity as well as the Latino Fraternity used to play it that way too...damn kids....

4 hours ago, OVCChairman said:

I think this is a much bigger problem than people realize.  The message gets distorted because the 'journey' to it is done a certain way.  People get upset by the way they get talked to, without looking at themselves and saying "well if I hadn't messed up, it would never have happened."  The idea that the teacher was trying focus more on the strength of the underground railroad, than the slavery itself should be a story of perseverance and applause.  People overcoming the bigger issue.

A completely different issue that I find myself going through, within this very thread right now, is that I know I am a white male who lives in Northern Virginia, so I have to be very cautious about how I respond to make sure it doesn't get taken like I'm supporting racist acts.  I find myself thinking about my response multiple times with the idea that I want to make sure it doesnt get misinterpreted.  Circling back to the original post, I feel like this teacher has fallen victim to the same thing.  I'm assuming the teacher is white.  I feel like this teacher was trying to teach a lesson, and the lesson is getting completely overshadowed by the 'questionable' action to get that message across.  

Good post. 

That's my main issue with the outrage I saw this morning. I too am a white guy from Northern VA, so I also feel like I try to over-edit what I write about topics like this vs. what I would write about other things. 

But, it really annoys me how the initial reaction is always one of "FIRE THEM" without any attempt to understand context or intent. I said it earlier...there is absolutely no way there was anything malicious intended with this lesson. As a parent of two kids in that school district (not that exact school), every teacher I've interacted with gives a ****. They care! Maybe the idea was bad. Maybe the execution was bad. But the intent was good. 

Does that mean it's OK...that's a tougher question to answer. People get reprimanded for outcomes, not only intent. But should this teacher or group of teachers be labeled a racist or should this be lumped in with the VA politicians who dressed up in black face? Absolutely not!

Archived