Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

R. Kelly... Smoke and fire it seems.

Kosher Ham

you know... i didn't actually know who R. Kelly was through all of this.... 

I heard snippets of evidence and stories against him, and then heard he was going to trial and heard that he was convicted.   And all along i heard he was a "titan of the music industry" --- super  influential singer/songwriter/producer/mogul........... i just assume he did some sort of tough guy music that maybe i had heard...but probably hadn't..........

Today i found out he did "I believe i can fly..."

seriously??

i have morally ambiguous misgivings about the verdict now.     Seriously..... if i had know he did that song...i would've manufactured evidence against him myself, just to get that song cancelled.  How old IS that song???   the song chosen by Ethels, Mildreds and other 80 year old grannies to eventually be played at their own funerals (many years from now, God willing).

We have to institute a Grand Jury commission S.T.A.T.... to investigate the ties that Bette Midler and Mister Mister might have to these crimes.   if we can kill Broken Wings/i believe i can fly/wind beneath my wings with one stone.........?         

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

R. Kelly Verdict Developments: Singer Found Guilty of Sexually Abusing Girl, 14, on Video

R. Kelly, the fallen R&B star who was once revered as a product of Chicago’s South Side, was found guilty on Wednesday of sex crimes, including producing child sexual abuse imagery and coercing minors into sex acts.

Mr. Kelly, 55, had already been sentenced to 30 years in prison after a jury in Brooklyn convicted him of racketeering and sex trafficking charges last year — the first time Mr. Kelly had been held criminally responsible for allegations related to sexual abuse despite accusations dating back more than three decades. The conviction in Chicago could add years to that prison sentence.

On Wednesday, the 12-person jury in the trial convicted Mr. Kelly of six out of the 13 charges brought against him. He was found guilty of coercing three minors into criminal sexual activity and producing three child sexual abuse videos, all of which prosecutors said involved the same 14-year-old girl.

Mr. Kelly was acquitted of attempting to obstruct an earlier investigation into his abuse. The jury also found him not guilty of receiving child sexual abuse imagery and conspiring to receive such imagery as part of an alleged scheme to recover missing videotapes.

Two of Mr. Kelly’s former employees, Derrel McDavid and Milton Brown, were tried alongside the singer and were acquitted on all charges against them. Mr. McDavid, Mr. Kelly’s former business manager, was acquitted of arranging payments to people while attempting to recover the missing tapes. And Mr. Brown was found not guilty of conspiring to recover child sexual abuse imagery as part of an effort to protect Mr. Kelly.

Click on the link for the full article

• 5 months later...

R. Kelly Sentenced to 20 Years for Child Sex Crimes

A federal judge on Thursday sentenced R. Kelly to 20 years in prison for child sex crimes, after a jury found that he had produced three videos of himself sexually abusing his 14-year-old goddaughter.

In a victory for the defense, the judge ruled that all but one year of the prison sentence would be served at the same time as a previous 30-year sentence that Mr. Kelly received after a jury in Brooklyn convicted him of racketeering and sex trafficking charges.

The jury in Chicago convicted Mr. Kelly of six of the 13 charges brought against him in connection with sexual abuse during the 1990s, including counts of coercing three minors into sexual activity and three of producing sex tapes involving a minor. He was acquitted of a charge that he had attempted to obstruct an earlier investigation into his abuse of the goddaughter, and two other counts of enticing minors to have sex.

Federal prosecutors had argued that Mr. Kelly, 56, deserved 25 years in prison on top of his earlier sentence, citing the singer’s “lack of remorse” as a reason he would pose a danger to society if released.

Click on the link for the full article

I would like a lawyers perspective on concurrent vs consecutive sentences, particularly when it’s different crimes (meaning same crime different instance, not like a continuation of the same thing) in different jurisdictions. 

to me this means he got 1 year for what he did. Which seems unacceptable to me. 

although child sex crimes is one of a but a few crimes I haven’t softened on over the years in terms of thinking our criminal justice system is overly punitive. Sex crimes in general, murder, terrorism, maybe a few others. The rest I’ve come to feel were overly punitive to the point of being counterproductive. 

@PleaseBlitzif you’d care to share your thoughts I’d appreciate it 

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

@tshile

I’m 3/4 in the bag at the Charlotte airport. There will be no sharing of cogent thoughts this evening. 

Heyo

Just landed at Dulles. Totally understand. 

what’s your airport drink? I usually go rye straight, or if they don’t have it bourbon straight 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, tshile said:

Heyo

Just landed at Dulles. Totally understand. 

what’s your airport drink? I usually go rye straight, or if they don’t have it bourbon straight 

I eyeball the bartender. If they look competent, Old Fashioned. If not, double Makers on the rocks. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2