Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

5 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Let's be honest with ourselves. Hudson is the closer now. Let Doolittle serve as a lefty matchup and don't force him to carry the load for a bit. Or just straight up IL him.

Davey just runs him out there constantly. Every time we have any kind of lead...

55 minutes ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

I was just thinking that last night. Might help? Then again the All star break bought us like one good appearance from him so who knows if 10 days off will do anything. 

He needs to be used differently altogether until he gets right. Once every three games or so, lower leverage situations, with a focus on lefties. Wouldn't hurt him to start using off speed stuff more often either. That's just called aging gracefully. 

6 minutes ago, Bacon said:

He needs to be used differently altogether until he gets right. Once every three games or so, lower leverage situations, with a focus on lefties. Wouldn't hurt him to start using off speed stuff more often either. That's just called aging gracefully. 

Agreed. 

Doolittle showing some cracks is a big reason I wanted the Nats to make a splash with another closer. Glad it wasn’t Shane Greene though. :ols: 

1 hour ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'm pretty sure someone in this thread, probably Riggo, correctly predicted that Shane Green would be a disaster. 

Probably Riggo. His peripherals suggested "fairly effective reliever" not "lockdown closer..." Atlanta didn't overpay for him too much I don't think, but there shouldn't have been an expectation that he was going to continue to be one of the top closers in baseball the rest of the year. 

• Like 1

Relievers in general are so volatile--I really don't like giving up premium players for what's essentially a "bench-pitcher"

The Braves big three acquisitions at the deadline:

Chris Martin: 10.38 ERA

Mark Melancon: 9.82 ERA
Shane Greene: 11.82 ERA

The Nats:

Strickland: 1.93

Hudson: 1.69

Elias: 0.00 (he needs to get back right quick)

Granted this is all extreme small sample...