Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

34 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Yeah. Saw that. CHC are obviously moving off of Ohtani and going to plan B. Little surprised they aren’t going hard to keep Bellinger.

I was hoping they would, since he’s extremely risky for the contract he’ll demand. I can see him being Desi with the Rockies level bad.

And I still hate the lottery. But we can be back in it next year, if we miss the playoffs. I think there will be 4-5 teams dropping out? I think? This **** doesn’t make any sense

How are we even in the drawing for the 1st pick if we're ineligible. Shouldn't our ping pong balls (or whatever they are) be removed for the ineligible picks? Just seems like a slap to the face for no reason.

That said, we should be picking 7th, not 10th. That's the **** Angelos part. I don't mind the anti-tank repeat thing, it sucks, but it does make sense.

10 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

How are we even in the drawing for the 1st pick if we're ineligible. Shouldn't our ping pong balls (or whatever they are) be removed for the ineligible picks? Just seems like a slap to the face for no reason.

That said, we should be picking 7th, not 10th. That's the **** Angelos part. I don't mind the anti-tank repeat thing, it sucks, but it does make sense.

So they maintain the odds or something like that? **** Manfreds dumb as. Rewarding the Reds and Guardians with the top two picks is not going to entice them to spend. I hate this stupid ****ing lottery.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

The rule is really stupid because it's not even anti-tanking, but based on revenue sharing payor vs. payee.  If you are a revenue sharing payee, you are ineligible to have lottery picks in successive years.  But in small markets, there's only so much you can do to increase the shared revenue stream, so a small market team could be trying hard and spending money (even at a massive loss to the owner) and still end up being a revenue stream payee.

The logic is that if you try hard and build a successful team, you'll increase your revenue stream enough to no longer be a payee, but I don't think meshes with the reality of some of these teams nor does it make sense with the purpose of the draft, which is to give a competitive assistance to a bad team.  A flat rule like a team cannot have a top 5 pick in consecutive years would've been better imo.

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

we knew for months they were ineligible for the top pick 

Exactly.

I like the idea of a draft lottery, just not the way this one is implemented. Too many loopholes. For example, the Mets were one of the teams that had a -10 pick position penalty for being over the luxury tax in successive seasons. But had they only won 70 games this season instead of 75, their top 6 pick would have been protected. That doesn’t mesh with the concept of anti-tanking.

I don’t really follow hockey much at all, but for the other big 3 sports, I’d like them to have a lottery. But my proposal would be even odds for all non-playoff teams for the top 4 spots. Then order of record for the 5th through 18 (in MLB).

• Like 1

I'm a Nats season ticket holder but seeing my secondary team the Yankees (which I grew up with starting in my HS days in 2001 seeing them make the WS) making moves and gasp...spending big, makes me very, very proud. I am a happy boy today.

Welcome back to the East Coast, Soto, to a team that respects you enough to pay you the big dollars you've been asking for. Chase that bag son

Edited by ixcuincle
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Already under contract until he's 39...

What’s happening here? He knows that he underpaid. But he’s the one that agreed to the length of the Philly deal with the lower AAV and no opt outs. Does he expect them to tear up the contract and redo it? He’s playing for the only team and fan base he’s ever loved. How is this going to play with the Philly crowd?

MVP Sports Group absolutely smoked Boras in the way they handled Machado versus they way he handled Harper.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

What’s happening here? He knows that he underpaid. But he’s the one that agreed to the length of the Philly deal with the lower AAV and no opt outs. Does he expect them to tear up the contract and redo it? He’s playing for the only team and fan base he’s ever loved. How is this going to play with the Philly crowd?

MVP Sports Group absolutely smoked Boras in the way they handled Machado versus they way he handled Harper.

I think its as simple as he's beeing saying for years now he wants to play into his mid-40s, and he only ever wants to wear the phillies uniform.  So he wants to get the deal out of the way.  completely benefits him doing it now though....i'm sure Middleton will worry about that probably 2029ish.

10 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Didn't Boras make a big deal about how it was Harper who asked for the no opt out at the time?  At least that's my recollection.

Could be. I just know that Machado is guaranteed $100M+ more than Harper from the start of their free agency.

9 minutes ago, superozman said:

I think its as simple as he's beeing saying for years now he wants to play into his mid-40s, and he only ever wants to wear the phillies uniform.  So he wants to get the deal out of the way.  completely benefits him doing it now though....i'm sure Middleton will worry about that probably 2029ish.

No need to do it until after the 2031 season if he doesn’t want to go anywhere else. 

45 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I'm a Nats season ticket holder but seeing my secondary team the Yankees (which I grew up with starting in my HS days in 2001 seeing them make the WS) making moves and gasp...spending big, makes me very, very proud. I am a happy boy today.

Welcome back to the East Coast, Soto, to a team that respects you enough to pay you the big dollars you've been asking for. Chase that bag son

If the Yankees really respected you as a fan they would sign Ohtani.

The Cohen vs Cashman/Steinbrenner battle for Yamamoto will be fun to watch. 

Hopefully, for you, your $162M pitcher figures it out. Not sure a 63 ERA+ is going to cut it for a number 2/number 3 pitcher. But he only gave up 25 ER in 21.2 IP over his last five starts to end the season. So that’s progress, I guess.

22 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Could be. I just know that Machado is guaranteed $100M+ more than Harper from the start of their free agency.

Yeah, I was agreeing with you.  I think most people thought at the time, Harper had to relinquish player options and take lower aav just to beat the total value.  Machado got the better deal.

In other news, they picked up Nasim Nunez, SS/2B (23) in the Rule V draft.

He was 16 on Miami’s prospect list. Appears to be a big time glove, super light hitting middle infielder.

The way Davy manages, you can hide the position player. I did not like how Ward was never used last year. Seemed like a waste of time.

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

In other news, they picked up Nasim Nunez, SS/2B (23) in the Rule V draft.

He was 16 on Miami’s prospect list. Appears to be a big time glove, super light hitting middle infielder.

The way Davy manages, you can hide the position player. I did not like how Ward was never used last year. Seemed like a waste of time.

Our farm badly needs SS/2B, so this can only be a good thing right?

41 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

If the Yankees really respected you as a fan they would sign Ohtani.

My understanding is he doesn't want to go the Yankees...trying to stay West Coast...can't make him sign as Yankee, ain't for lack of effort hes not in pinstripes, that's for sure...