Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

3 hours ago, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

Personally, I'm just gonna sit back and enjoy the Crews/Wood/House era.😀

I'm with you there. I am more interested in who IS on the team, not who WAS on the team. I am going to look forward to the next winner and not cry about how offering someone $440m is somehow disrespectful.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, bearrock said:

This article goes in depth with the topic and has examples

Maybe it was they're not allowed to hold out for a new deal? Weird. I could have sworn I read somewhere that restructures were not allowed. But being fully guaranteed deals, doesn't make much sense for a player to agree to one.

2 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Senzel move looks like this year's Corey Dickerson.

If he makes the team. I figure this move is the competition for Garcia and Kieboom. 

2 catchers

IF: Meneses, Garcia, Abrams, Kieboom, Vargas, Rule V, Senzel (7)

OF 4

DH 1

That’s 14. Senzel can play the OF, but I have to think they still carry 4 others.

So, I think one of Kieboom or Garcia doesn’t make it or they return the rule V.

Need to pick up the 1B/DH.

18 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

So, I think one of Kieboom or Garcia doesn’t make it or they return the rule V.

Garcia has been incredibly disappointing--especially with the critiques of his preparation and work ethic. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in AAA to start the season. Keiboom might just get cut outwright.

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Is it now safe to say we won the Soto trade?

The reason for the trade is glaring--anyone still complaining about it simply wants to ignore facts and live in their own little narrative. However, in order to "win" the trade, we need Abrams, Gore, and Wood to hit their immense ceilings. We need to win in order to win that trade. It's shocking to see someone like Soto traded twice in less than 18 months. This might be the approach in dealing with Boras many teams employ moving forward.

I am looking forward to this season--it's a big one and hopefully will be another step back to contention. I am going to enjoy the process and won't be jumping on the Yankees bandwagon. I don't believe in "having a second team."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Is it now safe to say we won the Soto trade?

I was very reluctant to see Soto go and the returns are TBD to be honest (already crowning Abhams elite when he had a hot stretch and cooled off after) but again my take and opinion from seeing this is...

You don't want to pay Soto? Fine.

You don't want to give him an alleged non-backloaded contract, fine. He turned down your 440m contract, fine.

Trade him. Get what you can in return. Get that haul.

But then what do you do with that 440m? Just sit on it?

Why not use it to buy not one player, but multiple? What's holding them back?

"Do you really think a 5th place NL East team should be spending money?"

Well yeah, I don't think we should be doing a Bruce Sherman or Bob Nutting, owners who have notoriously been cheap.

"But it's not the same situation. You comparing Washington to Oakland / Pitt / Miami is disingenuous."

How so? Because the Lerners are cheaping out and refusing to spend that money that they offered Soto? 

• Confused 1
  • Thumb down 1

40 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

But then what do you do with that 440m? Just sit on it?

full

There isn't a rule that says because you made that offer to him, you have to then go and just spend it on others immediately. That would defeat the purpose of a rebuild around young talent you got in return that will be under team control for a while.

• Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

How so? Because the Lerners are cheaping out and refusing to spend that money that they offered Soto? 

You keep saying the same thing over and and over and it’s getting really ****ing annoying. This year was the first time the Pirates gave a contract over $80m in their history when they signed Reynolds. Ever. The Nationals exceeded that in 2010 when they signed Werth.

When was the last time the As exceeded a $125m payroll? When was the last time they gave the money we gave to Scherzer, or Strasburg on either of his contracts?

There only comparison exists between your ears. Your stupid, ill-informed, demonstrably false narrative is old, tired, and just dumb. Stop filling this thread with your nonsense and get a clue.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

I'm not even advocating for them to throw money away irresponsibly. But the fact of the matter is you do have money that you did set aside for Soto, wasn't deferred like you all keep crying about, and then he didn't accept, fine. What are you going to do with that money then? Oh, can't buy talent cause nobody big will join a losing team. Gotta Moneyball it.

Enough with this cheap ass. Lerners sadly have mailed it in since winning the title. It would be nice for them to use that money to buy better players and upgrades.

There is still time in the offseason so hoping we use that bank wisely. Not saying to just blow it all on Ohtani or whatever, but build a team. Several positions could use an upgrade and guess what, that's what that 440m is for. Stop penny pinching.

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

But the fact of the matter is you do have money that you did set aside for Soto

This isn't a fact. There isn't $440M sitting in a room somewhere waiting to be spent. I wish the Lerners spent more also. Not like the top 3-5 teams, where it almost never ends with a title. But def top half of MLB and even maybe around 10th highest. But you're woefully ill-informed if you think because they offered Soto that amount, they should spend it on whoever because it's sitting somewhere unspent. Not to mention, unless you're way outbidding anybody else. Why would that big money player want to come here and wait another few seasons for Crews, Wood, House, Morales, Hassell, to be ready to make a run?

Bro, you can start "ixcuincle's Fan since 2001 New York Yankees" Thread in the tailgate. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Enough with this cheap ass. Lerners sadly have mailed it in since winning the title. It would be nice for them to use that money to buy better players and upgrades

Did they? Because the resigned Strasburg to $245m AFTER the World Series. They signed Schwarber AFTER the World Series. They had every intention of competing in 2021--which was AFTER the World Series. They brought back several of those players, including Kendrick, AFTER the World Series. The timeline and the facts do not line up with your narrative. They didn't begin the rebuild until July of 2021 when it was clear our window had closed. So, once again, facts and reality does not match with your fantasy-driven, whine-fest.

16 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Why would that big money player want to come here and wait another few seasons for Crews, Wood, House, Morales, Hassell, to be ready to make a run?

Even if they don't block one of our top prospects--suppose the go sign Bellinger. What happens if he falls apart Anthony Rendon style? Or, what happens if he's decent this year and next, then starts to regress and decline into that .650 OPS range, where he takes up a roster spot and is forced to play because of his contract? Spending on a 30-something now, for more than 2, MAYBE 3 years is near sighted. Now is the time to play the prospects, see what we have, see what is coming and make a realistic assessment of our roster's strength and weaknesses as we come closer to actual contention. Not this "Buy me something Lerners!" like a child screaming in a toy store.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Well the Candelario return idea was short lived (not that I liked it anyways), he just signed a 3 year and $45 million deal with the Reds.

That's a lot of money for him and in a spot where we have a potential star in hopefully less than 3 years.

• Like 1

I'm seeing this argument on the Lerners being cheap on another message board and suffice it to say there's no clear cut answer. Yes, thanks to the Lerners for spending to win a title, but since 2019 their ownership has been very lackluster. They have acted like this is a small market team, they have not gone out and spent to win, and that to me, I'm sorry, I can't accept that.

"Nobody wants to play here."

A team has a floor at least, can we agree on that, that they need to spend. Why would you own a team and put no effort to improve it? "They're last place. Nobody wants to play here." Boston ran things like a last place small market team and WERE ABLE TO GET YOSHIDA. AND FENWAY SPORTS GROUP IS CHEAP AS ****.

You can talk till the cows come home how it wouldn't make sense to spend for a team that will just win 80 wins anyway. I say differently. The Rangers were horrid and last place, lost 100 games. Spent. Guess what happened 2 years later.

Not saying they need to blindly blow through 440 million on dumb contracts, but if you can sign a good contract, why the **** not?

"BELLINGER ISN'T GOING TO PLAY HERE."

I never said for them to sign him.

"SNELL WON'T COME HERE."

Can we at last get a solid rotation piece though? Fill in some holes? Or are we just going to go with a makeshift rotation again lol

• Thumb down 1

2 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

I'm seeing this argument on the Lerners being cheap on another message board and suffice it to say there's no clear cut answer. Yes, thanks to the Lerners for spending to win a title, but since 2019 their ownership has been very lackluster. They have acted like this is a small market team, they have not gone out and spent to win, and that to me, I'm sorry, I can't accept that.

"Nobody wants to play here."

A team has a floor at least, can we agree on that, that they need to spend. Why would you own a team and put no effort to improve it? "They're last place. Nobody wants to play here." Boston ran things like a last place small market team and WERE ABLE TO GET YOSHIDA. AND FENWAY SPORTS GROUP IS CHEAP AS ****.

You can talk till the cows come home how it wouldn't make sense to spend for a team that will just win 80 wins anyway. I say differently. The Rangers were horrid and last place, lost 100 games. Spent. Guess what happened 2 years later.

Not saying they need to blindly blow through 440 million on dumb contracts, but if you can sign a good contract, why the **** not?

"BELLINGER ISN'T GOING TO PLAY HERE."

I never said for them to sign him.

"SNELL WON'T COME HERE."

Can we at last get a solid rotation piece though? Fill in some holes? Or are we just going to go with a makeshift rotation again lol

Blah, blah, blah. Same "LERNERS BUY ME THAT TOY!" without any real logic behind it. So no matter how much people point out your glaring logical fallacies and just blatant falsehoods you cling to, you continue to post the same bull****. So, do us all a favor, go root for the Yankees. Please. Go start a "DIE HARD YANKEES FAN" thread.

The most funniest excuse I read about the Nats not spending is because they didn't want to get burned again by a Corbin or Strasburg contract.

Well, that's the risks you take spending. I would rather us spend despite the risks than sit on our hands and search through other team's trash.

1 minute ago, ixcuincle said:

The most funniest excuse I read about the Nats not spending is because they didn't want to get burned again by a Corbin or Strasburg contract.

Well, that's the risks you take spending. I would rather us spend despite the risks than sit on our hands and search through other team's trash.

Well yeah--but also you complete missed the point of spending on 30-31-32 yr olds now, which I am not surprised. You complete ignore anything that doesn't fit in your cry-baby, bright-shiny-object and continue with your same thoughtless keyboard mashing. Please, go root for the Yankees. We all want you to go root for the Yankees.

I got some work to do but let me tell you:

The Lerners are great for buying the team from MLB. They are a local ownership group that won us a title. I will forever be thankful to Ted and Mark Lerner.

That said...the last few years have been very sketchy. The Lerners have cheapened up, tightened the purse strings and I was listening to Nats Chat...Al Gaudi seemed very alarmed about the whole scouting fiasco with guys suddenly departing. He was wondering why that would be the case, and in the 2nd to latest episode (Frank Howard) he also muses about the reasoning behind the whole Strasburg "retire / no he's still on our 40 man roster". Again, love the Lerners but that doesn't mean they are immune from criticism. And they very well should be critiqued. They are not flawless, and we shouldn't be blindly defending them whenever someone like Ghiboli or MLB reporters call them out on their ****.

The whole sale issue seems to have gone now, and it doesn't sound like they're selling. In the same vein since the sale talk has died down they seem to be just "going through the motions" so to speak. Again, love the Lerners, but it may be time for them to contemplate another sale process if they're not interested in running the team anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/09/09/lerner-family-stephen-strasburg-nationals-sale/