Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Maybe he needs another ovation?

On 10/25/2023 at 4:06 PM, Ball Security said:

Pipeline had House at 60 and Bohm at 55. I hope House ends up better. They just have very similar mannerisms and build. I never really connected the two until last night.

Whoever they hire as Dir. of Player Development needs to get Wood, House, Crews, Hassell et al to their potential. This and the development staff they're bringing in is probably more important than an FA they will sign.

• Haha 1

Nationals Hire Gerardo Parra, Ricky Gutierrez As Coaches

With a number of vacancies to fill on their coaching staff, the Nationals will fill two of those spots with Gerardo Parra as the new first base coach and Ricky Gutierrez as the new third base coach, Andrew Golden of the Washington Post reports (via X).  Parra and Gutierrez will respectively take over from Eric Young Jr. and Gary DiSarcina, as the Nats parted ways with both base coaches following the season.

This is the first coaching job for the 36-year-old Parra, who has spent the better part of the last two seasons as a special assistant to Nationals GM Mike Rizzo.  2021 was the final season of Parra’s 12-year Major League career, and he sandwiched two seasons with the Nats around a stint in Japan with the Yomiuri Giants in 2020.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/10/nationals-hire-gerardo-parra-ricky-gutierrez-as-coaches.html

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

47 minutes ago, EmirOfShmo said:

Nationals Hire Gerardo Parra, Ricky Gutierrez As Coaches

With a number of vacancies to fill on their coaching staff, the Nationals will fill two of those spots with Gerardo Parra as the new first base coach and Ricky Gutierrez as the new third base coach, Andrew Golden of the Washington Post reports (via X).  Parra and Gutierrez will respectively take over from Eric Young Jr. and Gary DiSarcina, as the Nats parted ways with both base coaches following the season.

This is the first coaching job for the 36-year-old Parra, who has spent the better part of the last two seasons as a special assistant to Nationals GM Mike Rizzo.  2021 was the final season of Parra’s 12-year Major League career, and he sandwiched two seasons with the Nats around a stint in Japan with the Yomiuri Giants in 2020.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2023/10/nationals-hire-gerardo-parra-ricky-gutierrez-as-coaches.html

I can see Parra being a coach. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, CRobi21 said:

More from Rizzo, via Golden

A lot of guys did not get QOs which helps.

I’m in on Hoskins or Soler for a power bat.

Not sure what they do about acquiring pitching. I’d rather go big or not at all. In other words, I’d rather give starts to Irvin and Rutledge than someone like Giolito, Gibson, Cleavinger, etc.

DFA-ing Smith puts them in the market for a 1B, unless the plan is to bring him back for less. There are still moves on the 40 that can be made to open up room for FA. Friday is the decision to offer Robles arbitration.

With SD needing to clear payroll, I’d be willing to take on Kim and Barlow’s contracts with the idea of moving them at the deadline. Play Kim at 3B, move him at the deadline, and bring up House.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

DFA-ing Smith puts them in the market for a 1B, unless the plan is to bring him back for less. There are still moves on the 40 that can be made to open up room for FA. Friday is the decision to offer Robles arbitration.

With SD needing to clear payroll, I’d be willing to take on Kim and Barlow’s contracts with the idea of moving them at the deadline. Play Kim at 3B, move him at the deadline, and bring up House.

I'm still all-in on Hoskins this offseason. Overpay him. Fine. We need that power. We could play Kim at 2nd too.

Also, did you see the Padres owner died? I wonder how long they'll keep up that pay roll now?

Edited by Riggo#44

3 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm still all-in on Hoskins this offseason. Overpay him. Fine. We need that power. We could play Kim at 2nd too.

Also, did you see the Padres owner died? I wonder how long they'll keep up that pay roll now?

I had not seen that about the SD owner. I read that if they can’t find a deal for Soto, they’ll want to sell Kim, Barlow, and Grisham. 

I’m good with getting Hoskins bat. I’m not thrilled about him playing 1B. We definitely need a power upgrade and 1B/DH is where it’s at. I like the idea of Smith/Hoskins better than Hoskins/Meneses (1B/DH). But running Smith/Meneses back in 24 is not a good idea. I am concerned that with the limited bat market, landing Hoskins may be difficult.

Yes, Kim can play all three infield positions. I think I’m more confident in Garcia than Kieboom.

1 year for Kim at 7 million is an absolute steal. A Gold Glover that gets on base and can run the bases? Yes please. Don't like the idea of moving farm for him unless it's possible to extend. But he'll still only be 28 next season, and we're at the very early stages of figuring out how valuable stealing bases with the new rules can be. Just to make it clear, if we compare Kim's 2023 numbers with our 2023 roster, he'd lead the team in OBP and be 2nd in steals. Our farm is lacking just about anybody at SS or 2B except maybe Darren Baker whose glove I've read tops out at decent. So it's not like trading for Kim would create a logjam with our prospects.

I'm less familiar with how this works in baseball than football. Could we trade for Kim and do an extension as part of the negotiations?

41 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

1 year for Kim at 7 million is an absolute steal. A Gold Glover that gets on base and can run the bases? Yes please. Don't like the idea of moving farm for him unless it's possible to extend. But he'll still only be 28 next season, and we're at the very early stages of figuring out how valuable stealing bases with the new rules can be. Just to make it clear, if we compare Kim's 2023 numbers with our 2023 roster, he'd lead the team in OBP and be 2nd in steals. Our farm is lacking just about anybody at SS or 2B except maybe Darren Baker whose glove I've read tops out at decent. So it's not like trading for Kim would create a logjam with our prospects.

I'm less familiar with how this works in baseball than football. Could we trade for Kim and do an extension as part of the negotiations?

What would likely happen is that SD would accept compensation for one year’s worth of Kim’s service. Then the Nationals would have all season to extend him. Being one year out, the chances of him taking it to FA is significant.

SD’s need is to reduce payroll. They’d probably prefer to play Cronenworth at 2nd instead of 1B.

I think Kim is very underrated.

• Like 1

This is from a Post article about Monumental Sports.

I thought this was relevant.

I think we all know this is happening:

Monumental may have grander plans, too. Plenty of people around Washington and MLB expect the company will eventually acquire the Nationals, which would surely bolster the possibilities for the network and even more vertical integration. Asked about that possibility, Leonsis said only, “If you have more programming, I think it’s better for your network.”

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

As the Hot Stove gets fired up, here are some things I’d like to see happen:

1) Extensions for 1-3 of Abrams, Gore, Gray (in that order). They did a really nice job locking in the catcher spot with Ruiz last offseason. Hopefully they can get something done here.

2) Use payroll flexibility to take on contracts other teams want to get rid of or FAs on 1 year deals. I would love to land a frontline starter. But I know it will be difficult. I think Montgomery gets bid up past the point where it’s sensible because he doesn’t have a QO and had post season success. I don’t really want to dabble in the Giolito, Flaherty, Stroman markets. Perhaps Rodriguez, but he has red flags. I’d be willing to overpay on one year of Severino (1/14 mlbtr prediction) and see if he can get healthy and attract something at the deadline.

3) See if they can “buy” bad contracts from SD. I mentioned before, but Kim (inf) and Barlow (rp) could be on the way out. How bad does SD want to reduce payroll? Would Meneses and Harvey do it? I think with Harvey’s health concerns, it makes the 2024 team better. SD gets cheaper but with guys who can help them.

4) Trading Meneses and DFAing Smith gives them an opportunity to make improvements at 1B/DH. Sign Hoskins (2/38 mlbtr). See if 3/45 gets it done or offer 2/40-44 and get it done. Spencer Horowitz is a 1B that is blocked in Tor. 26 year old. Hits left handed. Could a deal around Kyle Finnegan get it done? Finnegan + De la Rosa.

5) Trading Harvey and Finnegan creates a hole in the backend of the bullpen. Rainey is back. Barlow comes here via trade. Buy another BP arm possibly (Brent Suter is a guy who has shown consistency)

Those moves should get payroll to about the 2023 average of $160M give or take depending on the extensions.

6 Abrams

5 Kim

9 Thomas

DH Hoskins

2 Ruiz

7 Garrett

4 Garcia

3 Horowitz 

8 Robles (really surprised they agreed to terms with him)

Vargas, Young, Millas, Kieboom/Call

Gray, Gore, Severino, Corbin, Irvin (Rutledge in Rochester)

Rainey, Barlow, Suter, Garcia, Weems, Ferrer/Thompson/Willingham/La Sorsa, Williams (long), Adon (long) 

Cavalli and Brzykcy rehabbing and ready by midseason.

I like this team. This doesn’t rush Wood, Crews, or House, but you could easily slot them in when ready.

Try to extend Kim in season. If not, he, Severino, Barlow and Thomas could be trade pieces.

• Like 1

On 11/15/2023 at 10:34 AM, BRAVEONAWARPATH said:

This is from a Post article about Monumental Sports.

I thought this was relevant.

I think we all know this is happening:

Monumental may have grander plans, too. Plenty of people around Washington and MLB expect the company will eventually acquire the Nationals, which would surely bolster the possibilities for the network and even more vertical integration. Asked about that possibility, Leonsis said only, “If you have more programming, I think it’s better for your network.”

Code for, if TV rights suddenly become available, we'll bid hard. Until then, not interested.

Some movement in FA. Nola back to Philly. Lynn to St Louis and Renaldo Lopez 3/30 to Atlanta.

I’ve read a lot of speculation about Cleveland moving Bieber for OF help.

I’ve seen him to Bal for Santander. And I’ve seen him to Was for Thomas and a “B” prospect.

Bieber is not the same as he was in 2020 and is a FA after the season. But with Crews and Wood at the door, it could make some sense to make the 24 team better. Not my favorite idea, but it does improve the pitching for next season.

• Like 1

That Nola deal is crazy. He regressed badly last year, Phillies better hope it isn't a trend. Wheeler is 34 and threw career high in IP last year, and is a Free Agent after this year. 

I'd absolutely give up Thomas and a B prospect for Bieber. But that also comes from Bowden so it's highly unlikely to be based in any kind of reality.