Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

This is going to be an interesting angle too.  MASN owes 100 mil each to Nats and the Orioles because they are obligated to pay both teams the same.  So Nats are at around net plus 50 mil (100 mil from MASN, mid 20ish percent contribution of 200 mil for their ownership at the time). O's are gonna be at net minus 50 mil (100 mil from MASN, mid 70% ish contribution of 200 mil).  So right now, MASN is a decent bit of negative line on the team's annual (if Nats were in the O's shoes, 10 mil per year expenditure would represent about a one-third hit to the annual operating profit). Then we have a similar payout for 2018-2023, and then a new deal for 2024-2029.

The Diamond TV network failure might be the beginning of the end to the RSN bubble, with the exception of the largest markets like LA, NY, and CHI.

I don’t think it’ll be long before there’s a national package like the NFL has. Not that big, but similar model. I think it might portend to a salary cap too. This is all down the road, of course

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

The Diamond TV network failure might be the beginning of the end to the RSN bubble, with the exception of the largest markets like LA, NY, and CHI.

I don’t think it’ll be long before there’s a national package like the NFL has. Not that big, but similar model. I think it might portend to a salary cap too. This is all down the road, of course

Yeah, MASN numbers are down by almost 50% from their peak days.  Manfred has been on record as viewing streaming as the future.  Hopefully all road leads to the demise of MASN.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, bearrock said:

Yeah, MASN numbers are down by almost 50% from their peak days.  Manfred has been on record as viewing streaming as the future.  Hopefully all road leads to the demise of MASN.

The main problem with RSNs is it blocks local streaming, which I don't understand, at all. I no longer have cable so I resort to radio and gameday. Probably good for my blood pressure, as bad as they've been lately.

2 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

The main problem with RSNs is it blocks local streaming, which I don't understand, at all. I no longer have cable so I resort to radio and gameday. Probably good for my blood pressure, as bad as they've been lately.

Isn't MASN only one local cable network too? I mean, most people can't watch it regardless.

5 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Isn't MASN only one local cable network too? I mean, most people can't watch it regardless.

They’re on the major ones. But if you don’t have one of those, you’re SOL. If they offered a streaming only option, that’s another revenue stream. But alas, Angelos

**** Angelos. I hope the new owner is more open to renegoatiating the terms of that very unfair "deal".

Other than physically going to the games as a season plan holder, I almost never watch the games on TV because of this. they can't even put MASN on youtube tv. how da **** you think i'm gonna watch? I have to listen online to the radio to follow the team.

19 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

The problem is the illegal way is often too difficult to be a viable option. Well you could watch a stream but it won't be the same. And forget about that vpn ****.

On 12/7/2023 at 5:54 PM, Riggo#44 said:

Yeah that last one was over the line, you walked right into it though... 

What was over the line?

Calling a Womens basketball team better run then a Mens baseball team?

And I'm the one being called sensitive?

Put me on ignore already so I can enjoy this thread in peace then.

@Ponostop following me from thread to thread asking what team I'm switching to next like a middle schooler FFS...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

And I'm the one being called sensitive?

Considering you're responding to a post from over 3 days ago, when the rest of the thread was discussing other real issues and ideas affecting the Nationals, I would say yeah, you're sensitive.

You say you're at peace, great, good for you. We don't need you to pop up in both threads posting constantly about how at peace you are. No one cares. Good luck to you and your new team, maybe they'll make the world series for the first time in 14 years.

Move on, everyone else has.

• Confused 1

Moving on from attention/approval-starved former fans, beyond Free Agents--the Nats still need to hire more development staff, including hitting coaches at Harrisburg. The amount of strikeouts there was really alarming:

Hassell, who is a contact hitter, K'd 31.9% of the time there.

Wood: 33.6%

House: 28.6%

Wood and House still destroyed the ball, when they made contact. Hitting .248/.334/.492 and .324/.358/.475 in their age-20 season. They both vaporize baseballs when they make contact. I feel like House has gotten overshadowed by Wood and Crews, but he's really good. 

The other problem I have is this is a really top-heavy system. After Wood, House, Crews, we don't have much. We really need Travis Sykora and Yoyo Morales to develop. It's going to be a really interesting year--especially with all the changes this offseason, off the field.

41 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Considering you're responding to a post from over 3 days ago, when the rest of the thread was discussing other real issues and ideas affecting the Nationals, I would say yeah, you're sensitive.

You say you're at peace, great, good for you. We don't need you to pop up in both threads posting constantly about how at peace you are. No one cares. Good luck to you and your new team, maybe they'll make the world series for the first time in 14 years.

Move on, everyone else has.

In all fairness, I have other things going in in life and was thrown off getting followed into another thread about this.  Stop quoting me about it, I'll stop responding. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Riggo#44 said:

Moving on from attention/approval-starved former fans, beyond Free Agents--the Nats still need to hire more development staff, including hitting coaches at Harrisburg. The amount of strikeouts there was really alarming:

Hassell, who is a contact hitter, K'd 31.9% of the time there.

Wood: 33.6%

House: 28.6%

Wood and House still destroyed the ball, when they made contact. Hitting .248/.334/.492 and .324/.358/.475 in their age-20 season. They both vaporize baseballs when they make contact. I feel like House has gotten overshadowed by Wood and Crews, but he's really good. 

The other problem I have is this is a really top-heavy system. After Wood, House, Crews, we don't have much. We really need Travis Sykora and Yoyo Morales to develop. It's going to be a really interesting year--especially with all the changes this offseason, off the field.

The thing about the system being top heavy is because our advanced guys are so young. Wood and House would be entering their junior year in college. As much as I would love to see them, I could see them making a case to hold them back this season.

I’m looking forward to following Sykora, Vaquero, Green, and Susana this season.

Nobody is following you. You keep posting terrible takes in threads I frequent. 

You seem like a good dude. At the end of the day we are talking about sports in these threads. I'll do my best to ignore you and Ixs terrible posts in the future, but I'll admit I find it difficult to do so. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

I’m looking forward to following Sykora, Vaquero, Green, and Susana this season.

I feel like Green is a lost cause. that 40% K rate at Low A is just awful. We'll see what happens with the others--Vaquero needs a lot more power, Susana and Sykora are going to have the same issue: great stuff, 0 consistency.

14 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I feel like Green is a lost cause. that 40% K rate at Low A is just awful. We'll see what happens with the others--Vaquero needs a lot more power, Susana and Sykora are going to have the same issue: great stuff, 0 consistency.

With Wood and Crews along with Young, Hassell, and Lile, we can be very patient with Green. Despite his k rate, he was still creating runs. He’ll be a boom or bust guy, but I’m good with giving him another four years to bake before declaring him a lost cause.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

With Wood and Crews along with Young, Hassell, and Lile, we can be very patient with Green. Despite his k rate, he was still creating runs. He’ll be a boom or bust guy, but I’m good with giving him another four years to bake before declaring him a lost cause.

We’ll see, but I saw a fangraphs article that no one with his K rate at Low A has ever made it to AAA, I don’t think. Definitely not the majors.

That draft in general is looking pretty bad, overall. I still wish we took Brooks Lee instead. Infield would look a lot better with him manning 2nd next year

Other guys not mentioned that have potential:

• Andrew Pinckney
  • Drew Millas, I know he only had 33 plate appearances, but his numbers were consistent at the MLB, AAA, and AA level this year. Here's his brief (and super small sample size that might not mean anything) comparison to Keibert Ruiz. Ruiz on the left and Millas on the right. Millas can actually play defense and run the bases, he doesn't chase way out of the zone. He's not an all-star, but he looks like a really good OBP guy, which as a solid catcher isn't half bad.

image.png.8407cc231a38362d1e378e653640fc71.pngimage.png.abe6baf99b86fce0b8c9e55071f46bfe.png

• Trey Lipscomb, he needs to get his walk numbers up. But his K numbers have been consistent throughout A, A+, and AA. He's our only utility infielder that can play all the spots (maybe?), and he just won the Gold Glove MiLB for 3rd base last season. So he might be the only plus defender we have that might be able to hit.
  • Jacob Young, rocketed up the minors last season going from A+ to MLB. So far he looks a lot like Alex Call (in a very small sample size). Fast and plus defender at Center Field. But he's 5 years younger, so maybe there's still more to him.
  • DJ Herz, acquired in the trade from Candelario going to the Cubs, played better for us than the Cubs and is still young.
  • Zach Brzykcy, missed all of 2023, but was fantastic in the minors in 2022.

• Marlon Perez, they kept him in A for all of 2022, and A+ for all of 2023. So I'm assuming he'll start 2024 in AA. He turns 24 in March, and his WHIP, K9, BB9, ERA, etc all look great so far.

Some others possibly? Jake Bennett, Tyler Schoff, and Jack Sinclair

A few of those guys have pitched like 1 inning in AAA, but most of them are just A+ and AA pitchers. Most of these guys are probably just relievers.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

The hot stove has been turned up,  my friends. Nats sign RHP reliever Dylan Florio, formerly of the Marlins and Twins last season, to $2.25M one year deal with a $1.25M incentive to pitch in 60 games. Knowing Davy, if he performs, he’ll keep getting run out there. No word yet on how much is deferred. 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I feel like our targets are getting priced out of our budget. Hoskins and Soler would have been great, but their demands are much higher than we anticipated, I think.

Bellinger asking for $200m is insane

To help keep the conversation honest, what is the Nationals budget now?

I agree with not doing a Werth type contract while still trying to sell the team.  I remember it showing we wanted to be taken seriously in the free agent market, but if we aren't, don't do that right now. If for any reason it came across Nats getting rid of large contracts or potential large contracts to make the team easier to sell.

I don't see how they can build a contender and keep the overall salary in territory they think is easiest to sell the team...especially with the demands folks like Bellinger are making (and that's because someone will give it to them)

33 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

To help keep the conversation honest, what is the Nationals budget now?

I agree with not doing a Werth type contract while still trying to sell the team.  I remember it showing we wanted to be taken seriously in the free agent market, but if we aren't, don't do that right now. If for any reason it came across Nats getting rid of large contracts or potential large contracts to make the team easier to sell.

I don't see how they can build a contender and keep the overall salary in territory they think is easiest to sell the team...especially with the demands folks like Bellinger are making (and that's because someone will give it to them)

I’ve said a number of times this is going to be a bargain shopping off season until we see what we have in the last couple draft classes. This FA class isn’t good either, way too much risk. 

I think Rizzo is going to pull a trade for a starting pitcher

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

I feel like our targets are getting priced out of our budget. Hoskins and Soler would have been great, but their demands are much higher than we anticipated, I think.

Bellinger asking for $200m is insane

I don’t know. They’ve identified a power bat and starter as priorities. If they don’t come away with more, it will be pretty disappointing. But, at this point, I see them trying to use one of the three minor leaguers at first base, mix Keiboom in at DH with Meneses at 1B, or Garrett at DH with Robles and Young in the OF. Pretty uninspiring unless they feel good about Wood and/or Crews starting with the big club.

There have been a few SPs that have already signed that they could have paid a slight premium to bring in: Severino, Gibson, and ERod. There are a few more out there that could still make sense to move Williams to the bullpen.

As far as trades go, I’m not sure how they could structure them to help this year. I did hear that Houston is interested in Harvey, but I don’t think we have enough prospect depth to make moves that would really help us this season.

• Like 1