Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

Brady House on BAs list of prospects to bounce back this year:

Brady House, 3B, Nationals: A member of the potentially historic and talent-laden high school shortstop class of 2021, House is fully healthy after dealing with a variety of injuries during the 2022 season. A talented player with good size and an easy, powerful righthanded swing, House was moved to third base this season and has impressed with his play during minor league spring training. He’s shown the ability to work deep into counts, hit for power and run. As is often the case, House’s debut season was derailed due to health more than poor play. He returns to Low-A Fredericksburg to begin the 2023 season. Look for House to impress with his plus power and feel to hit early during the 2023 campaign.

1 hour ago, Metalhead said:

He probably feels guilty for not being able to play and possibly depression from that. Imo, retirement would be an honest option and then find a place for him on the staff.

He’s getting paid an awful lot of money to pretend like he might play again. I’d be doing exactly what Stras is doing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

He’s getting paid an awful lot of money to pretend like he might play again. I’d be doing exactly what Stras is doing. 

I'm pretty sure insurance covers a large chunk. I think 80% of the contract of the Mets player injured in the WBC is covered by insurance.

4 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

I'm pretty sure insurance covers a large chunk. I think 80% of the contract of the Mets player injured in the WBC is covered by insurance.

I'm certain Stras does not care what the source of the money is.  I'm also pretty certain that if he retires, he forfeits the money remaining on the contract, and it's a ****ton of money.  So he has every incentive to go through the motions of rehab and give the Nats regular updates and otherwise do what players do when they actually intend to come back and play.  But he's pitched 31 innings since the WS, it would be a miracle for him to return, let alone at a level anywhere close to 2019 Stras. 

2 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I'm certain Stras does not care what the source of the money is.  I'm also pretty certain that if he retires, he forfeits the money remaining on the contract, and it's a ****ton of money.  So he has every incentive to go through the motions of rehab and give the Nats regular updates and otherwise do what players do when they actually intend to come back and play.  But he's pitched 31 innings since the WS, it would be a miracle for him to return, let alone at a level anywhere close to 2019 Stras. 

I misunderstood your comment then, I thought you were upset the team was strapped because of his salary and still paying him.

• Like 1

Just now, Metalhead said:

I misunderstood your comment then, I thought you were upset the team was strapped because of his salary and still paying him.

Haha, no.  not upset at all, just pointing out that (1) Stras is not coming back to pitch and (2) he's also not going to retire because he's making so much money.  The Nats made a bad decision in hindsight, but I'm not mad at anyone.  It's not like if the Nats had an extra $25 million this year, they'd be competitive.  

Is the team strapped?  They are in the 8th largest media market in the US, have a relatively new stadium, and are 23rd in payroll overall (because they are 26th in active roster payroll).  If you DOUBLED their payroll (including Stras), they'd be league average in payroll.  I hope they're setting some money aside this year for future years when they are competitive. 

• Thumb up 1

49 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Stras has to be one of the top athletes under the "What Could Have Been" file, behind only maybe Bo Jackson. He had a good career--but if he stayed healthy, he would have been a Hall of Famer.

He's in a weird hybrid because he's both a "what could have been?" and a World Series MVP who for that season was amazing. 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I’ve shared this before but one of my coolest baseball experiences was seeing Stras pitch a rehab start for Potomac. Got seats right behind home plate and from that vantage point, holy **** that change up was incredible. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

I’ve shared this before but one of my coolest baseball experiences was seeing Stras pitch a rehab start for Potomac. Got seats right behind home plate and from that vantage point, holy **** that change up was incredible. 

He was in Rochester when he pitched for Syracuse. Standing room only sell out. I went by myself to watch him. 

• Like 1

Gray not looking even average. That's a shame. Really hoped an offseason to rest and build back up would make a difference.

I complained a lot last year how none of the pitchers developed enough or were able to get past whatever issues they had. I pushed that Hickey just wasn't the guy for right now with them. With the sale being basically paused. The payroll being bottom 10. I'm not going to complain about it again this season. But this was predictable. 

Edited by @DCGoldPants

1 hour ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Gray not looking even average. That's a shame. Really hoped an offseason to rest and build back up would make a difference.

I complained a lot last year how none of the pitchers developed enough or were able to get past whatever issues they had. I pushed that Hickey just wasn't the guy for right now with them. With the sale being basically paused. The payroll being bottom 10. I'm not going to complain about it again this season. But this was predictable. 

Yeah, he wasn’t good today.  Gave up two rockets.  Olsen’s HR was wind aided though. What’s frustrating is that his third and fourth runs were scored when they should have been out of the inning.  They ruled a hit, but Abrams could have been charged with another error. The defense has to help out this staff. Abrams also had a poor AB when he flew out to left on the first pitch after the Thomas lead off double in the third. It’s early, but Abrams needs to be a lot better.

Garcia hit into two DPs, but he did have a tough 10 pitch strike out.  Robles, Smith, and Ruiz have been promising. 

• Like 1