Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Washington Nationals Thread: The Future is Near!

Riggo#44

3 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Thats the angels.  Look at who dominates the league these days.  I don’t have to scout **** if I can just write a blank check for all stars. In the MLB you can literally buy a championship.  Why?  Because so much of it is individual brilliance.  Yeah great clubhouse attitude is great but quite simply if you stack the squad and no one rattles the cage you can get to the WS.   It’s not like other sports where other elements come into play. 

That’s why cash strapped teams like the Yankees haven’t been to the World Series in over a decade and the booming organizations like KC and Tampa have.

22 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Would be interesting to do a top 10 (and bottom 10) Rizzo decisions.  

Off the top of my head, I'd say backing up the truck for Max Scherzer is high on the list, just b/c Max far exceeded reasonable expectations.  The Ross/Turner trade is way up there.  Signing Soto and then calling him up so early is also way up there.  Howie Kendrick for McKenzie Mills.  

I'd also be interested to see what people think of "The Strasburg Shutdown", or if it is even still controversial (I don't think it is).  Giolito for Eaton is probably the most controversial.  One side is "Gio is the much more valuable player overall" and the other side is "Eaton was instrumental in the Cship."  

Rizzo has been so unbelievable in the trade market.  Gio trade was a great one too.  We lost out on some key targets that year (didn't Greinke block a trade to us?).  Roark, Ramos, very good trade values.  

Even the Giolito Eaton trade viewed through the lens of what I suspect played a role (budgetary constraints imposed by Lerner), was good management because it was intended to keep our window open past Harper's FA (though Eaton's production here kind of torpedoed that but offset by Soto's emergence and Eaton getting hot at just the right moment).

Before 2020, Ray/Fister trade probably looked the iffiest, but Fister did give us one good year and Ray was in the woods in 2020.  He seems to have settled down again this year, so that probably gets my vote as the "worst" Rizzo transaction, but that's probably above average for many GMs in the league.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

Thats the angels.  Look at who dominates the league these days.  I don’t have to scout **** if I can just write a blank check for all stars. In the MLB you can literally buy a championship.  Why?  Because so much of it is individual brilliance.  Yeah great clubhouse attitude is great but quite simply if you stack the squad and no one rattles the cage you can get to the WS.   It’s not like other sports where other elements come into play. 

This is a perfect description of the NBA. However, is a nowhere near accurate assessment of MLB. The Nats had arguably much better teams in 2016 and 17, but lost in the NLDS. The Dodgers spend more than anyone year-in and year-out, yet failed to win a title for 32 years. And even then, they only won after the farce of a season last year. Meanwhile, TB consistenly competes, despite their meager payroll, KC won a title, and went to back-to-back WS in 14 and 15. In 2019, 3 of the top 5 payrolls did not make the playoffs, while the Rays and Twins (who won 101 games) did.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, RichmondRedskin88 said:

I understand what you are saying about having the ability to have a giant payroll affords you the ability to more often than not compete.  I just think that the Dodgers have had such a great run of success because they matched having the ability to pay guys while also maintaining a tremendous farm system.  Guys coming up through the system and becoming big time players while at the same time being able to go out and afford any free agent they seek.  Couple that with also being a destination city for a lot of guys and it’s a perfect marriage.  Kudos to the Dodgers they have truly become a premier organization.

36 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Rizzo has been so unbelievable in the trade market.  Gio trade was a great one too.  We lost out on some key targets that year (didn't Greinke block a trade to us?).  Roark, Ramos, very good trade values.  

Even the Giolito Eaton trade viewed through the lens of what I suspect played a role (budgetary constraints imposed by Lerner), was good management because it was intended to keep our window open past Harper's FA (though Eaton's production here kind of torpedoed that but offset by Soto's emergence and Eaton getting hot at just the right moment).

Before 2020, Ray/Fister trade probably looked the iffiest, but Fister did give us one good year and Ray was in the woods in 2020.  He seems to have settled down again this year, so that probably gets my vote as the "worst" Rizzo transaction, but that's probably above average for many GMs in the league.

Yeah outside of the trade to get us Turner, I think Ramos for Matt Capps is my favorite trade he's made.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Sometimes the best moves are the ones you DON'T make. Not giving Jordan Zimmermann or Ian Desmond big money contracts were huge wins for us.

Agreed.  But if I recall correctly, Desmond saved us from ourselves by turning down a huge extension.

• Like 2

The irony of complaints about trading Turner for prospects is the Nats got him originally in a trade. Granted it was swapping prospects and not established players, but if the Nats would have had to give up  say, Ian Desmond, how much would have complained in hindsight ?

39 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Off the top of my head, I'd say backing up the truck for Max Scherzer is high on the list, just b/c Max far exceeded reasonable expectations.  The Ross/Turner trade is way up there.  Signing Soto and then calling him up so early is also way up there.  Howie Kendrick for McKenzie Mills.

1. Signing Max.

2. Revamping the International Development Program after the Smiley Gonzalez/Bonus Skimming fiasco--including signing Soto for $2.5m.

3. Trea Turner/Joe Ross for Steven Souza, Jr.

4. Kendrick for Mills.

5. Gio Trade

6. Doolittle, Madson for Luzardo and pieces.

7. Hudson for Kyle Johnston.

8. Daniel Murphy for $37m from the Mets.

Worst:

1. Jonathan Papelbon.

2. Strasburg Contract

3. Corbin Contract

4. Giolito Trade

5. Drafting Seth Romero

6. 2016 Draft in general (Kieboom and Dunning, with Will Smith 4 picks later, Sheldon Neuse, with Pete Alonso 3 picks later)

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mammajamma said:

woke up pretty excited to see Jojo tonight. Expectations arent crazy, just excited to see new blood at SP

Top half of the Phillies line up is fairy formidable...the rest is drek. That being said, it'll be 6-8 hitters who probably do all the damage...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Riggo#44 said:

1. Signing Max.

2. Revamping the International Development Program after the Smiley Gonzalez/Bonus Skimming fiasco--including signing Soto for $2.5m.

3. Trea Turner/Joe Ross for Steven Souza, Jr.

4. Kendrick for Mills.

5. Gio Trade

6. Doolittle, Madson for Luzardo and pieces.

7. Hudson for Kyle Johnston.

8. Daniel Murphy for $37m from the Mets.

Worst:

1. Jonathan Papelbon.

2. Strasburg Contract

3. Corbin Contract

4. Giolito Trade

5. Drafting Seth Romero

6. 2016 Draft in general (Kieboom and Dunning, with Will Smith 4 picks later, Sheldon Neuse, with Pete Alonso 3 picks later)

Good list & definitely allows me to fully trust Rizzo because his track record of smart savvy moves is incredible. 

• Like 1