Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Audi Field to Host Washington DC Defenders XFL Team in 2020

Ron78

What Will You Do To Support the XFL Franchise in DC?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. What Will You Do To Support the XFL Franchise in DC?

• Attend games at Audi Field
    • Watch games at home or in sports bars
    • I will not support this team

1 hour ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Exploitation?  Do you really think a kid straight out of high school should be playing with grown ass men and getting blown up by them?  End what chance they might have to make the NFL?  Purely speculation, but lets say that the XFL gets some former NFL players that played some or got cut along with college players that go undrafted. 

And you really want to see some 18/19 year old kid who hasn't developed and not been on a proper training regimen take the field and go up against former pro athletes and former college players (3-4 years experience)?  They will get blown the **** up and could risk serious injury.  For what, 75K?  If this were basketball, sure, there is no reason HS kids shouldn't be able to go straight to the NBA.

Professional football though?  No way, not even is a lower talent league like the AAF or XFL.  I don't agree with college athletes not getting paid, specifically in football and basketball, so I'm not defending the NCAA on that front, but money/talent evaluation aside, their bodies just aren't ready to go straight out of HS into pro football, IMO.

Look at how many NCAA players get drafted in the NFL, and start their rookie year and even make the pro bowl.  Yet a few months prior to this, those same players were in college and  at least scrimmaging against those same 18 year olds. 

College football teams don't have JV teams like high school because they see no need to separate players.

Amobi Okoye had just turned 20 when he entered an NFL training camp.

And it being a spring league, the would be more likely closer to 19, unless they leave high school early. 

I agree it would be tough for a 18/19 year old to make a pro roster even for a second tier league, particularly for positions like line, but I wouldn't entirely rule it out.  

11 hours ago, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

Exploitation?  Do you really think a kid straight out of high school should be playing with grown ass men and getting blown up by them?  End what chance they might have to make the NFL?  Purely speculation, but lets say that the XFL gets some former NFL players that played some or got cut along with college players that go undrafted. 

Non-sequitur.  NCAA exploits athletes.  Full stop.  NFL supports this exploitation with their rules.  Other sports have minor leagues where young people who need to grow and development can do so while facing a lesser level of competition, and also collecting a paycheck to make a living.  The NFL, instead, cozied up with the NCAA to exploit kids.

And you really want to see some 18/19 year old kid who hasn't developed and not been on a proper training regimen take the field and go up against former pro athletes and former college players (3-4 years experience)?  They will get blown the **** up and could risk serious injury.  For what, 75K?  If this were basketball, sure, there is no reason HS kids shouldn't be able to go straight to the NBA.

It's not like being eligible to play in a sport at 18 ensures everyone enters the league at that age whether their bodies are ready or not.  Guys don't roll straight out of high school and onto an NHL team (excepting the exceptionally talented and physically matured outliers).  They can play in juniors or NCAA to develop if they wish, or if they are good enough, they can play in lower tier professional leagues where they will get paid to play and develop (I do have one complaint to add here, though: the NHL has a stupid deal with CHL that prevents kids who were drafted into the junior league from playing in any pro league below the NHL until they are 20).

And you know what?  I'd rather risk injury for $75K than risk injury for $0.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Like 2

On 2/8/2019 at 2:46 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

The XFL is not a threat to the NFL.  It would take decades of success and expansion to become any sort of legit threat to the NFL.  

That at most likely will not happen.  For either league.  But since the AAF is taking a different path, it has the best potential (IMO as of now) to last longer.  

If if it is successful this year, it’s got an advantage over the XFL.  A year head start, partnership with the NFL (airing games for now) and possibly obtaining a new contract with CBS that shows live games on a major network each week in season 2.  

According to the article below, Vince is $1.5 Billion richer than he was a year ago, which is pretty significant.  The income he gets from the WWE will more than cover the expenses of the XFL for as many years as he chooses.  The AAF does not have that kind of backing.  Vince will end up crushing the AAF.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/wwe-news-vince-mcmahon-wealth-massive-increase-revealed

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ron78 said:

According to the article below, Vince is $1.5 Billion richer than he was a year ago, which is pretty significant.  The income he gets from the WWE will more than cover the expenses of the XFL for as many years as he chooses.  The AAF does not have that kind of backing.  Vince will end up crushing the AAF.

https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/wwe-news-vince-mcmahon-wealth-massive-increase-revealed

The AAF almost went belly up after it's first games. Doubtful league makes it beyond a year. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

Why would a freshman or sophomore go to the XFL where he's going up against grown men

Football is not basketball

I'd consider 21/22 to be grown man and thats what they'd be going up against in the NCAA.

Some guys reach their peak early.   In HS we had a guy who was 6'5 280 pounds as a sophomore.   Another who was 6'7 250

Amobi Okoye had just turned 20 when he went into an NFL training camp. 

Since this is a spring league, most HS graduates are going to be closer to 19 than 18. 

6 hours ago, Ron78 said:

2 hours ago, Rdskns2000 said:

The AAF almost went belly up after it's first games. Doubtful league makes it beyond a year. 

Vince does seem determined this time around and has made it clear that he will do it his way with his money so if he fails, it's all on him.  I would like to see both succeed, competition never hurt a product.  An old ESPN article said he expects to spend 500 million for the first 3 years.  So that's around 166 million/yr.  Forty players with 8 teams total is 320 players, with average salary at 75k/yr.  So for player salary, $24 million.  

With him being worth 3.2 billion now lets say that increase in 1.5 billion is used only to fund the new XFL.  If he operated at at 166 million/yr (just rounding), he could easily fund it for 9 years (1.49 billion total).   

I'm going to speculate, because that's all we can really do, but I think in his mind he's putting in $500 million for 3 years, regardless of the outcome.  That he has in his mind that after $500 million and 3 years, if it doesn't succeed then it wont and he will no longer proceed.  Here is an article saying that he has spoken with Kaepernick, who said he would play for $20 million/yr.  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffarnold/2019/02/26/could-vince-mcmahon-have-20-million-reasons-to-bring-colin-kaepernick-to-xfl-version-2-0/#603186a93192

He might not do it, but it would be one of the smartest moves if he were to sign him, IMO.  After watching the AAF, I like it, but reading more about the XFL, I really think their only chance at survival will be hoping and praying the NFL picks them up as their developmental league, where they can power over them.  The games I've watched the past few weekends, attendance is pretty bad for the most part.  

2 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

Why would a freshman or sophomore go to the XFL where he's going up against grown men

Football is not basketball

I had the same argument man.  But, as pointed out, just because they don't have a rule saying three years removed from HS, doesn't mean they will sign a bunch of HS graduates or Freshmen/Sophomores, it just means that they won't prevent teams/league from signing them under the right circumstances.  

Thinking about it a little more, they might be just waiting and seeing what players they attract/sign.  Who knows, maybe a bunch of college bound players like the sound of getting paid 75K for three years or two years, or one year instead of going to college and worry about not getting paid (or getting caught getting paid) and having to deal with classes/grades/etc.

Another thing to consider is, when the league is played, Feb - April.  So take Trevor Lawrence for example.  He is not eligible to enter the NFL draft until 2021.  Even if he is or thinks he's ready for the NFL in 2019 (assume the XFL is up and running right now), if he signed with the XFL and was playing for them in 2019, and 2020, then declares in 2021.  He gets paid $150-200K.  There are risks for those rewards and we don't know the talent level yet.  

Now, lets look at those players that are big enough and fast enough to declare after their sophomore year, again assume the XFL is currently up and running this year.  Those players can't declare until 2020, so for them, would it be worth it to sign with the XFL right after their season is over and play in 2019 and earn 75K?  Maybe.  Maybe not, because if the XFL season follows the AAF as far as 10 week schedule/playoffs, it will end at the end of April, which is right at the time of the NFL draft.  

So, you have a sophomore that just completed his 2nd college season, signs/plays in the XFL in 2019, he still can't get declare until 2020.  Would have to start playing beginning of Feb. immediately, literally one month after the CFC game.  How many of those players, especially ones on Power 5 teams that made the playoffs, would be willing to basically expose their bodies to another 10-12 more games.  Take Clemson or Bama, that would be near the equivalent to playing in a 25-27 week season, with only a month off in December (college) and one month off before the XFL starts.

To me, regardless of the money, it's not worth the grind on my body and higher risk to injury and not making the NFL or hurting my potential draft status to play in the XFL, especially if I'm a first round or second round pick, even a 3rd or 4th rounder.  In the hypothetical scenario, say the player did that, season is over in April, they have to wait until 2020 to declare for the draft.  What impact does waiting one year from playing have on them?  Their draft status?  Sitting out an entire year usually hurts players more than it helps them.  

Do they play in 2020 in the XFL and hope their play gets teams to sign them as an FA?  Will Vince allow them to be released from their contracts prior to the combine so they can declare for the draft that year?  Can they declare while under contract to play with the XFL?  

So, while I initially was disturbed by the lack of the three years removed from college rule, to me it really doesn't look like it would be the best option for some players to go that route.  And I don't think we will see a bunch of 18-19 year olds skipping college to go the XFL.  If I had to predict what players it would attract most, I'm going with a mix of what the AAF attracts along with troubled players that got kicked out of college, speaking on players we saw on Last Chance U that had to go to junior college for a year or two and try to get offers from Division 1 schools.

Instead of going the junior college route, maybe they get a shot in the XFL and make money while doing it.  Some of those guys just aren't cut out for college life.

• 5 weeks later...
On 2/7/2019 at 11:59 PM, Dont Taze Me Bro said:

XFL doesn't stand a chance now that the AAF has deals with CBS, TNT and the NFL Network.  I'll give it a shot, but I don't expect this to go more than two seasons.  Mainly because Vince's ego might make him take the financial loss to go more than one season this time.

Told you so.  Markets like Birmingham, Memphis, Salt Lake City, etc. are **** markets that don't generate enough revenue to support a professional football team.  They need revenue sharing from much bigger markets (like NYC, LA, and Chicago) in order to support the league.  Other sports leagues have learned that lesson, so I was surprised that the AAF was ignoring it.  The XFL may not have a chance either, but at least revenue potential in the markets they chose is very high.  The AAF was definitely doomed from the start.  They lost over $100 million.

Luck discussed the plans when asked how the XFL plans to differentiate itself from the NFL game.

On extra points, teams can choose whether to go for a one-point conversion from the 2-yard line, a two-point try from the 5-yard line or a three-point attempt from the 10-yard line.

"We literally have a nine-point touchdown. We think that's valuable because teams that historically are down by let's say three scores, well guess what, if it's a 16-point or a 17-point differential, you're really looking at a two-score game theoretically," he said.

The XFL's overtime rules are currently being tested in the Spring League. Luck said each team will have five opportunities to convert a two-point conversion in the overtime session. The defense would score one point with a turnover.

Forty-four players will be on the field at the same time in the overtime session, with both team's offenses and defenses on opposite ends of the field.

http://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/26478796/xfl-3-point-tries-2-point-ot-shootouts

On 4/9/2019 at 4:32 PM, clietas said:

Uhh that's gon be weird. Split screen OT?

I suspect even though all of their players will be ready, and on the field at the same time, they will still only be playing one at a time (the "shoot-out" alternating between the two teams will just be expedited by the fact that both teams area already out there).  Team "A" will take five shots at one end zone, and then team "B" will take five shots at the other end zone until one team outscores the other on conversions.

Edited by Ron78
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/11/2019 at 12:34 AM, Ron78 said:

I suspect even though all of their players will be ready, and on the field at the same time, they will still only be playing one at a time (the "shoot-out" alternating between the two teams will just be expedited by the fact that both teams area already out there).  Team "A" will take a shot at one end zone, and then team "B" will immediately take a shot at the other end zone until one team scores a conversion and the other does not.

Will we have to wait while the officiating crew runs back and forth the length of the field to monitor both sets of plays?  And will the officials have a crash cart on the sidelines for the inevitable heart attacks induced afterthe 4th or 5th round?

On 5/6/2019 at 11:30 AM, Dan T. said:

Will we have to wait while the officiating crew runs back and forth the length of the field to monitor both sets of plays?  And will the officials have a crash cart on the sidelines for the inevitable heart attacks induced afterthe 4th or 5th round?

No.  They will be splitting the the officials into two groups of four, and the teams will alternate attempts.

On 5/6/2019 at 2:03 PM, Warhead36 said:

It's gonna be a disaster.

I can't wait to watch.

The XFL announced it's television deal and schedule today.  They have contracts to put shows on two legacy networks and two cable networks.  The networks will be paying for production costs and splitting the advertising revenue, so it looks like the XFL will be getting paid (unlike the AAF).

Edited by Ron78
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/21/2019 at 4:28 PM, Cooked Crack said:

We defending against lightning?

We're defending against crackheads.

The results of the first day of drafting are below.  Cardale Jones was our allocated starting quarterback.

Quarterbacks

Running backs

Wide receivers

Tight ends

Offensive linemen

Defensive linemen

Linebackers

Defensive backs

Special teams