Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best/Worst Season in Redskins history?

Spaceman Spiff

5 hours ago, skins4eva said:

That 91 teamed played the first game of the season against Detroit in Detroit and beat them 45-0...we played Detroit in the NFC Championship game later that season and destroyed them again...also shut out 3 of our first 5 opponents.

Oh, I am well aware of the 91' season.

After the SB win, surprisingly, my [ then wife ] who was a big time Cowboys fan, bought me one of the actual balls used in that SuperBowl, along with a plaque of Rypien and the COA, and also a Zuba set-up [ I still have the shirt ]. The warm-up pants were kinda hard to look at; if I had a hangover I couldn't wear them much less look at them.

The 91' season was chock full of amazing feats;

1. Chip Lohmiller, the FG kicker, by himself, out-scored the ENTIRE Indianapolis Colts team. The entire team!

2. The MNF game against the Eagles, we shut them totally out; actually held them to under 100 total yards of offense; something very hard if damn near impossible to do in today's game [ unless you count when we played the Raiders last year, holding them under 100 total yds ].

3. The Redskins played, and beat, 6 teams that ended up in the playoffs. Dallas, Detroit, Atlanta, Houston, Chicago, and Buffalo.

4. Th' Hogs were known for their size, weight and skill since 1982; in 1991, th' Hogs were the 3rd lightest o-line in the league.

5. Rypien was only sacked 8 times [ I think ] the entire season. In the game against the Falcons, Rypien had a chance to set the NFL record for touchdown passes in a game, but pulled himself out of the game because he didn't want to jinx the team, and said that we may have to play these guys again.

This 1991 team is by far the least considered team in terms of greatness. Some of the 'haters' in the sports world said 'it was an off-year for the league', but the Redskins were just that damn good but they couldn't bring themselves up to saying it. Everything clicked for the team this year, they threw up some gawdy stats and points, and most of the media picked the Redskins to be in the SuperBowl that year before the season started. Its just amazing that they tuned out the greatness that was the 1991 SuperBowl Champion Washington Redskins.

19 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

This 1991 team is by far the least considered team in terms of greatness. Some of the 'haters' in the sports world said 'it was an off-year for the league', but the Redskins were just that damn good but they couldn't bring themselves up to saying it. Everything clicked for the team this year, they threw up some gawdy stats and points, and most of the media picked the Redskins to be in the SuperBowl that year before the season started. Its just amazing that they tuned out the greatness that was the 1991 SuperBowl Champion Washington Redskins.

We also played what I would contend was the best Bills team in their pretty remarkable 4 year run, and we dominated them. 

16 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

The '91 team was awesome, but I think there were factors that at the very least would've made the road during the NFC playoffs a bit more interesting and perhaps made the '91 team more highly considered, even by Skins fans. Joe Montana missed the entire season for the 49ers, Randall Cunningham got injured in the first game of the season for Philly, and of course Parcells retired after the '90 season and was replaced by Ray Handley, who inexplicably started Jeff Hostetler over Phil Simms.  So the wild card teams turned out to be Dallas, Chicago, and Atlanta. Of course the up-and-coming Cowboys were primed to set up a third NFCCG Dallas-Washington battle, but they crapped the bed against Detroit, 38-6. Neither Atlanta nor Detroit did anything of note immediately before or after that season. The Skins did decisively beat those teams, but it would've been cool to have perhaps played Philly, SF, or NY one of the postseason games so we may have had a more "remembered" playoff game like we did in the 80s against the Cowboys, 49ers, and Bears.

And, as RTF pointed out, we did play a Bills team in the middle of their four-straight SB run and obliterated them. 

13 hours ago, hail2skins said:

The '91 team was awesome, but I think there were factors that at the very least would've made the road during the NFC playoffs a bit more interesting and perhaps made the '91 team more highly considered, even by Skins fans. Joe Montana missed the entire season for the 49ers, Randall Cunningham got injured in the first game of the season for Philly, and of course Parcells retired after the '90 season and was replaced by Ray Handley, who inexplicably started Jeff Hostetler over Phil Simms.  So the wild card teams turned out to be Dallas, Chicago, and Atlanta. Of course the up-and-coming Cowboys were primed to set up a third NFCCG Dallas-Washington battle, but they crapped the bed against Detroit, 38-6. Neither Atlanta nor Detroit did anything of note immediately before or after that season. The Skins did decisively beat those teams, but it would've been cool to have perhaps played Philly, SF, or NY one of the postseason games so we may have had a more "remembered" playoff game like we did in the 80s against the Cowboys, 49ers, and Bears.

And, as RTF pointed out, we did play a Bills team in the middle of their four-straight SB run and obliterated them. 

And THAT is the reason they don't consider the 91 Redskins as one of, if not the greatest all-time.

Because the 49ers, Cowboys, Giants, their 'darlings' of the NFL were not good enough to make it to the NFCC game. That's not a fault of the Redskins, they played who was on their schedule.

Still, there has to be considerable consideration for the strength of schedule and who the others teams were.

Houston Oilers were a strong team. when we played them they were like 7-1. It took overtime to get the win, thanks to a Darrell Green interception.

Dallas ended up in the playoffs and beat Chicago. They were up-and-coming, just not good enough, but would have been interesting to play in the NFCC game.

Atlanta was a team that got hot mid-season and made the playoffs [ along with MC Hammer ].

The Eagles, even though didn't make the playoffs, had a nasty defense, which was ranked in the top 5 if I'm not mistaking. 

Detroit was a fairly well balanced team all year, with some RB by the name of Barry Sanders who was making fools out of defenses.

Still, there's no denying what the Redskins accomplished in 1991, and shouldn't be discarded because an 'old guard' opponent didn't get to the NFCC game.

On 11/30/2018 at 9:14 PM, Rufus T Firefly said:

We also played what I would contend was the best Bills team in their pretty remarkable 4 year run, and we dominated them. 

In the 30 for 30 on that Bills run, Bills players said the Redskins team was the best team they played in those Super Bowls. 

On 12/1/2018 at 10:51 AM, skins island connection said:

The Eagles, even though didn't make the playoffs, had a nasty defense, which was ranked in the top 5 if I'm not mistaking..

That Eagle defense was unreal...they were the top-ranked defense in yards allowed (not only overall, but both passing and rushing!!!) and created the most turnovers. They were nasty and somehow they still won 10 games with no offense after the Cunningham injury. 

Agree on all the '91's. Before the Patriots had their near perfect run, I always thought that year's Redskins were the closest team to having a good shot at an undefeated season. If not for that loss to the nothing-to-lose Dallas team, who used a little gimmickry and got some good breaks, no way they wouldn't have tried to win that last game against the Eagles. Worst team, ugh, I don't know. I don't want to think about it to hard, but John Beck was painful to watch.

Archived