Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

Monk woke me from hibernation to inform me that the college season is underway.  It's time for us to get to it.

20 game slate coming up on Thursday and Friday.  This is the ninth year we've done this, so you all know the drill.  Free your weekend up.  Get yourself a Costco-sized case of beer.  Also, hooking yourself up to a urine bag is a veteran move.

If you do sit down to watch the games to evaluate players live, feel free to use this thread as a journal and post your notes.

It's too early to know anything for certain, but there are scenario's (level of play, free agency, cap spending on position, etc etc) where some positions could be more likely than others in the 1st two rounds.  I started to go through them, but possible scenarios exist for most of the positions.

I think the only positions where we can rule out prospects for the first two (maybe three) rounds are DT, QB, RB, and OT.  Still leaves a lot of highly touted prospects to scout.

I am likely going to the Alabama-Louisville game on Saturday so my focus is initially on those rosters.    I haven't really dove into the Alabama roster yet.  Their top draft prospects seems to be R. Davis, J. Williams, D. Harris.  But thinking about their roster matched to our needs for the moment that guy who intrigues me is Mack Wilson.  A middle Linebacker with some speed, burst and can cover.  5 star recruit.  Looks like he can play Mo or Mike MLB.  And, he's very close friends ironically with Sean Dion Hamilton.

Having a MLB who can also cover IMO is an underrated trait that can help a defense.  IMO neither Brown or Foster are that good in coverage.   Judging by early buzz, Wilson would be a late first, 2nd round type right now. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2019-nfl-draft-six-players-who-could-be-in-the-next-wave-of-first-round-picks-from-alabama/

Mack Wilson, LB

Wilson impressively led the team with four interceptions from his linebacker spot despite playing just 376 snaps on defense last season. He represents the new wave of smaller, speedier linebackers starting to come through Nick Saban's sophisticated but throwback system at Alabama. 

He erupted in the national title game against Georgia's loaded offensive front with 12 tackles and two tackles for loss. A sure tackler with above-average speed and good size -- 6-2 and 235 pounds -- Wilson is primed for a more prominent role on the Crimson Tide defense in 2018, and I think he could have a Reuben Foster type of impact this season. Alabama has had an off-ball linebacker selected in the first round in the last two drafts, and three of past five. The coverage-savvy and speedy Wilson is on track to be the next. 

https://tdalabamamag.com/2018/05/30/shaun-dion-hamiltons-departure-to-nfl-served-an-eye-opening-notice-for-mack-wilson/

As high school teammates, Hamilton and Wilson valued each other. This mentality remained with both at the University of Alabama, especially after the way the latter honored an injured Hamilton (knee) with his play in the 2017 season. Wilson, a flamboyant dresser with freakish athleticism, took to social media a lot in expressing his love and respect for Hamilton’s wisdom. 

Even in the face of a season-ending mishap, Hamilton still drew a landing spot in the fifth round of year’s NFL Draft to the Washington Redskins. During a conversation between Dezmond Willis – personal coach of Wilson and Hamilton — and yours truly of Touchdown Alabama Magazine, it was seeing Hamilton live out his dream that opened Wilson’s eyes. 

“What I love about the relationship of Shaun Dion and Mack is that Shaun Dion taught Wilson how to be a student of the game,” Willis said. “Hamilton is the reason why Mack went to Alabama. He showed Wilson the ropes and just seeing his intelligence on the field, Mack wanted to learn more.” 

Before coming to Alabama in 2016 as a five-star prospect, Wilson juggled both quarterback and running back for the Wolverines. 

“Not a lot people know that about him,” Willis said of Wilson. “He’s blessed with God-given abilities and he also played basketball at Carver too.” 

With Hamilton and Rashaan Evans gone, Wilson emerges as the alpha dog for Alabama defensive front seven. After posting 40 tackles and four interceptions in 2017, Willis said the 237-pound superstar is more focused now than he’s ever been as he enters his junior season. 

27 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

My guess is our greatest needs will be at CB and TE.

Deandre Baker in the first

Foster Moreau in the second

I'm going to guess rush LB and TE. I think the young CBs step up behind a strong front 7, but that they won't be able to ink Smith before he runs for FA money. 

1 hour ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

My guess is our greatest needs will be at CB and TE.

Deandre Baker in the first

Foster Moreau in the second

Looking like a good draft for CB not so much at TE, Noah Fant notwithstanding but will see. 

D line obviously is insanely loaded in this draft but for once it doesn't seem a need.  As I joked about months ago, if they are going to keep drafting D lineman from Alabama, then R. Davis is the obvious one this time or further down the first round or 2nd Isaiah Buggs. But I presume they've done enough on that front.

Bryce Love to me can be an insane weapon, especially if he proves this year he can catch.   Guice and Love in the backfield would be insane. I remain a BPA guy, as opposed to needs within reason.  But as for needs clearly:  OG. TE.  Maybe CB.   Maybe MLB.  Maybe WR.   And I don't think its crazy to start looking at young QBs to groom. 

Here's PFF's current top 5 per position

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/draft-2019-nfl-draft-prospect-rankings-top-5-at-every-position?utm_content=bufferd96e5

1 minute ago, bird_1972 said:

I would add EDGE to the "needs clearly" list for next year.

Could be.  Depends I think on if Ryan Anderson develops and Preston stays.  But regardless as a BPA guy, if a pass rusher ends up the clear BPA  then IMO take him.   Sticking with the Alabama theme, I noticed in one early mock, McShay had Jennings going to us in the first.   He only had one sack last year but some think he has the tools to explode this season, will see. 

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Could be.  Depends I think on if Ryan Anderson develops and Preston stays.  But regardless as a BPA guy, if a pass rusher ends up the clear BPA  then IMO take him.   Sticking with the Alabama theme, I noticed in one early mock, McShay had Jennings going to us in the first.   He only had one sack last year but some think he has the tools to explode this season, will see. 

Any other EDGE guys other than at Alabama that are slated to be top prospects in 2019?

7 minutes ago, bird_1972 said:

Any other EDGE guys other than at Alabama that are slated to be top prospects in 2019?

LOL, yeah plenty, but since I am likely going to Alabama's opener I am focused on them first. 

Reputation wise, its right up there with D line in this draft -- many or so I hope will be out of our draft range because they are likely going top 10.

Like Bosa, Gary, Ferrell, etc. 

1 hour ago, Sandy Monk said:

I'm going to guess rush LB and TE. I think the young CBs step up behind a strong front 7, but that they won't be able to ink Smith before he runs for FA money. 

I think both Norman and Reed could be done here in 2019. We should pay Smith and take the option year out on Scherff. 

30 minutes ago, UK SKINS FAN '74 said:

I think both Norman and Reed could be done here in 2019. We should pay Smith and take the option year out on Scherff. 

All very possible. I think many draft predictions by a fan get based off of our individual predictions over team direction or particular player. 

My guess is both that Norman has a strong year, and that Washington feels like very strong contenders in 2019. If all that pans out, I don't like letting Norman go. He actually gets a little cheaper next year too, so we'll see. All just fun speculation. 

Even if Jordan Reed has a good and healthy year, I'm all for still drafting a day 2 TE, if the value is there. I don't mind keeping JR in that case, but I would never trust the durability year to year. VD has very little left after the year, and I don't really trust in Sprinkle to be much more than an average TE2. 

27 minutes ago, Sandy Monk said:

All very possible. I think many draft predictions by a fan get based off of our individual predictions over team direction or particular player. 

My guess is both that Norman has a strong year, and that Washington feels like very strong contenders in 2019. If all that pans out, I don't like letting Norman go. He actually gets a little cheaper next year too, so we'll see. All just fun speculation. 

Even if Jordan Reed has a good and healthy year, I'm all for still drafting a day 2 TE, if the value is there. I don't mind keeping JR in that case, but I would never trust the durability year to year. VD has very little left after the year, and I don't really trust in Sprinkle to be much more than an average TE2. 

During Jason Wittens's career, the Cowboys selected 3 TEs at the two spot and took a TE 5 other times. Reed has his uses but Witten was a HOF talent.

4 hours ago, Darth Tater said:

During Jason Wittens's career, the Cowboys selected 3 TEs at the two spot and took a TE 5 other times. Reed has his uses but Witten was a HOF talent.

Witten has been my favorite TE, possibly ever which kills me to say. I'd love to find a TE that well rounded who just always shows up and plays solid. 

I remember a thread on here a while back talking about a WR to build a franchise around. Hines Ward was my pick. Kind of the same mindset for a guy like that. 

I'm thinking OG, OLB, WR, ILB in the first in that order. You can never have enough depth on the OL, or enough studs to rush the QB. Those should always be first priorities imo on teams. For WR, we still don't have a solid #1, I'm just not sold on Doctson like others seem to be. He's 26 and has had multiple injuries already, this is a make or break year for him. Having a stud ILB to go along with Zach Brown will make this defense STOUT, I don't think Mason Foster is bad at all, I just really enjoy the thought of having 2 studs in the middle along with our potentially good DL. 

Archived