Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2019 Comprehensive Draft Thread

Going Commando

59 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

Do you believe Jonah Williams can play guard in the NFL?

Yeah but I feel like that'd be a waste of his talent.  Guys with his combination of size and movement skills are so rare.  It's almost criminal to not play them at OT.

I guess you could start him out inside with the plan to move him to OT down the road, but if I drafted him, I'd let him compete for a starting OT job and reshuffle our line if need be.

1 hour ago, stevemcqueen1 said:

I guess you could start him out inside with the plan to move him to OT down the road, but if I drafted him, I'd let him compete for a starting OT job and reshuffle our line if need be.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Start at guard then be the heir apparent to Trent.  Our line would be really special for next three or four years, then we have our LT of the future.  Christian can continue playing swing tackle and backup RT during his time here. 

I wouldn't trade up for him, but if he was there when we pick, a guy like that would be well worth a mid first round pick in my opinion.  The type of college season he has dictates whether he would still be there, because it sounds like he has top 5 potential.

Thanks SM1.   

10 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

That's exactly what I was thinking.  Start at guard then be the heir apparent to Trent.  Our line would be really special for next three or four years, then we have our LT of the future.  Christian can continue playing swing tackle and backup RT during his time here. 

I wouldn't trade up for him, but if he was there when we pick, a guy like that would be well worth a mid first round pick in my opinion.  The type of college season he has dictates whether he would still be there, because it sounds like he has top 5 potential.

Thanks SM1.   

He's a pretty rare talent.  Even thought we're fairly strong at OT, if we're picking mid first again and he's on the board, he'd probably be the best player available.  I'd love to get him into the mix in our offensive line group and see what we can come up with.  That'd be a whole lot of talent to work with.  And I think you're right that it would be smart for us to find Trent's heir.  10 years in the league is a long time at that position.  Trent might go for a while, but if he doesn't, then you really can't afford to ever go into a season with the LT position being a hole.  It's almost as bad as having a hole at QB.  You're just simply not going to make the playoffs.

------------------

Another guy that has blown me away is #40 Devin White for LSU.  I love the way he plays the game.  Absolutely fearless and solid fundamental tackler who gets in on everything.  And the playing speed is just off the charts.  Some of the best you will ever see at the position.  Outran his defensive back on that punt return touchdown.  He's a freak of nature who personifies the rough and tumble physicality of the ILB position.  I still wouldn't say he's as good as Roquan was, but he's a better athlete than Roquan and he's definitely my favorite stack linebacker of the class that I've watched so far.  Definite top 20 talent IMO.  LSU's defense is fun to watch.

Right now (Prior to the start of the season) I see our biggest needs as:

1- OG (We need a quality starter)

2 - CB 

2 - TE

3- WR

4 - LB 

5 - DE

This season's performance & injuries will dictate the priority going into the draft, but I see our holes as being:

OG - Obvious glaring need. BTW - WHERE ARE THE NAYSAYERS THAT SAID YOU DON'T DRAFT A LINEMAN #5 OVERALL!?!?!? Can you imagine if we had another scrub on the Line at RG? Our interior line would be shambles. We need another fantastic Lineman @ LG and we have the makings of a very quality line.  Even if someone emerges, we need depth in the pipeline.

CB - The thinking behind this is thusly... I LOVE Quinton Dunbar. Great story, and more importantly his performance has deserved this opportunity. I love Fabian M. Great story and comeback from injury. I still like Norman, but this is a lot of $$ to tie up in a player that has given slightly above avg performance. I love the attention that has been paid to back-up and the potential in Danny and Adonis, but will this crew develop a true #1? Possibly, but that is a lot of gamble on the table. If Norman does not have a monster season, it may be  time to cut bait and start building.

TE - This changes only if Reed performs at a very high level for 16 (or more) games this season. He gets injured and misses more than 7-8 quarters and he would have to perform at an All Pro level for the remainder 14 games. He misses more than 9 quarters of football and I am drafting his replacement. Love him, but he has to put up. If a monster- can't miss prospect is there in the first 1-3 rounds, welcome to the team. If Reed performs, and Sprinkle shows continued growth, then I am looking  a late round 3rd TE prospect in case VDavis hangs it up after this season.

WR - This position is 100% dependent on this season’s performance. I love the POTENTIAL in Sims, Quinn and Harris. This could be an amazing #1,#2 and #3 trio for years to come. We could also face a reality where Doc is injured by an errant newspaper and misses 18 games this season, Richardson eats too many ham sandwiches and pulls a hammy, Crowder leaves town for a huge payday because he caught 97% of Alex Smith’s passes and gained 800 yards. Harris catches 1 highlight reel catch every other game and drops 5 passes every game. Sims turns into a tall ham sandwich, and Quinn retires because he realizes the best use of his HUGE Mitts is in fingernail polish commercials. J Seriously, there is a lot of injury potential, and disappointment potential in this squad, and we may need a quality #1 or #2 receiver next year. (Hopefully this is the emergent season of the new fun bunch!)

LB – Will Zach Brown continue to be the most undervalued ILB in the league? Will Kerrigan continue to be the most underrated OLB in the league? Will Foster continue to play at a higher level than anyone expects? Which version of Preston Smith will show up this season? Will one of the backups emerge? A lot of questions.

DE – Love the current line, but we need to keep drafting depth and potential.

Desmond Harrison was the late round OT I said I wanted a few months ago, now he’s starting the opener for Cleveland, I will find 2019s Desmond Harrison & hope Washington pays attention this time. 

Antoine Brooks is a guy I hope to see in Washington a year from now. Round 1 is so absurd it’s hard not to wish we could have found a way to get another pick or 3 in it, but we are where we are, & in round 1 I’d love to see us grab one of these guys Walter Football has outside of the top 9:

•Trayvon Mullen

•Rashan Gary

•Dexter Lawrence

•Drew Lock

On the line I’ve loved Adams since watching him making a joke of our friend Ryan Anderson, but I need to look more closely at the guys who can play guard, unless Trent gets banged up this year & we entertain moving him inside in 2019. 

The Oline, CB, & defensive front talent at the top of this draft is remarkable. 

7 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Also, if we could somehow nab Devin White in the 1st... game over for the league with this potential front 7. He's the best ILB I've seen come out in a long time, better prospect than Roquan Smith imo. 242 lbs and it looks like he could run a clean 4.4 40 yard dash. 

For all the ppl who understand schemes and roles better than I do... Would Devin white complement zach brown well, or are they too similar of a player?  Sideline to sideline speed, athleticism off the charts. Sounds very similar to Zach brown.  I like brown a lot, so I would be disappointed if we drafted white and let brown walk, bc we would be letting go of a very good player in brown.  But if we drafted white to eventually take over for foster, I'd be all for it.  (And I like foster, but he is an 8 year vet). 

1 hour ago, KillBill26 said:

For all the ppl who understand schemes and roles better than I do... Would Devin white complement zach brown well, or are they too similar of a player?  Sideline to sideline speed, athleticism off the charts. Sounds very similar to Zach brown.  I like brown a lot, so I would be disappointed if we drafted white and let brown walk, bc we would be letting go of a very good player in brown.  But if we drafted white to eventually take over for foster, I'd be all for it.  (And I like foster, but he is an 8 year vet). 

They are similar but it shouldn't effect scheme at all. Devin White is a very 'plug and play' type of player and will make an impact regardless if he's similar to Brown or not. He's got very high IQ and is the signal caller for the LSU defense. Having 2 Zach Browns essentially would be incredible in my opinion. If we had the chance to draft Devin White, you do it and thank Mason Foster for his service.

Devin White: 

I'm not a fan of the music, but his highlight reel is pretty eye popping.

Another big game thus far by Thompson.  Thus far, though Old Miss receivers Brown (1st rounder?) and Metcalf (2nd rounder?) have been able to get open against Alabama's defense.  

Deionte Thompson with a forced fumble and now an interception in the 1st 10 minutes of this game. You won't convince me he isn't the nations best draft-eligible safety.

Deionte Thompson range is just crazy

25 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

This is the best Alabama team assembled in the Saban era I think. They're SO much better than any other team in the NCAA this year... even more-so than usual. Just hand them the trophy already. 

Yeah very well rounded.  They are destroying Old Miss.   I am trying to focus on potential Redskins targets on defense -- A. Jennings, C. Miller, M. Wilson, D. Thompson.  I presume they are done with the Alabama d lineman considering all the depth they have now at the position let alone I doubt they will be in position to draft R. Davis.

10 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yeah very well rounded.  I am trying to focus on potential Redskins targets on defense -- A. Jennings, C. Miller, M. Wilson, D. Thompson.  I presume they are done with the Alabama d lineman considering all the depth they have now at the position let alone I doubt they will be in position to draft R. Davis.

It's so hard to gauge their players because of how good everyone is around them. Everyone stands out it seems like every time I watch them. I want Tua when he comes out honestly, his pocket awareness and quick maneuverability around that general area is awesome. Reminds me of Russ and has a lot of talent. Alabama QBs do worry me though because many of them just never seem to develop properly. 

Digging this LSU defense.  Greedy Williams is the truth and #90 Lawrence was awesome today.  And those four linebackers are something else.

Very impressed with the Auburn defensive front too.  #91 is a total stud and he's going to be a first rounder when he's eligible.  #49 and #57 were friggin thumping.  Very active.

This was a showcase game for front seven talent.

Archived