Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Favorite Artist/Band in Favorite Genre???

Renegade7

Favorite Artist/Band in your Favorite Musical Genre???  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Is your Favorite Artist/Band in your Favorite Musical Genre???

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't like music and I don't like you

25 minutes ago, China said:

I have been selective about what is on my ipod.  I remember hearing about the kid (who was 17 or something) who sailed solo around the world and had an ipod loaded with 10,000 songs for his trip.  I remember thinking that I don't think I could find 10,000 songs that I like.  I don't just load up entire albums unless I like all the songs on the album.  I don't want to have to constantly be skipping songs I don't like.  But like you, I enjoy putting it on mix and having random songs that don't necessarily go together play right after one another.  Fine by me, as I like them all.  My wife and I have overlap of the music that we like but both have music that the other doesn't really care for.  I will listen to heavy metal, and she will listen to religious music.  But whoever's driving gets to play their music.

Ya, I have a separate playlist that I copy to devices that's about 15GB and that's it.  Banshee says that's about 7 days straight, 2,300 songs, that's more then fine but ready to add some more.  I think finding 10,000 I like is possible, but it would take work, and I'm still cleaning up what I have.

It's funny you mention modern Heavy Metal, that and Classical are the two genres I have the most trouble with.  Classicial is just tooo GD slow for me, and I constantly have trouble understanding what the screamer bands are saying.  I have found at least one I like, but I'm not sure how much further I want to go with that because though they can fit my mood,

I haven't been able to train my ears to pull out what we're on the same page about (and most people I associate with don't have near the amount of patience I do on that one).   Love me some Marvin Sapp and Gospel in general (funny I have had these songs come up damn near back to back before :806:):

I think the advantage I have in liking so much is that my ears aren't as likely to bleed when people go deep into what they like, I'm more likely to say "that's cool", or "I like that, too".

10 minutes ago, LadySkinsFan said:

When I am roadtripping, I get to choose the music, Dancer doesn't get a vote. She sleeps most of the time anyway.  I don't turn the music up as high as when she's not in the car.

Well, if you don't ask Dancer, you're never going to know : )

https://wtop.com/music/2017/01/dogs-favorite-kind-music-study-says-yes/

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/news/studies/do-dogs-like-listening-to-music/

Funny, my cat was lying on the desk in front of the computer a little while ago when I was browsing this thread, looking relaxed.  Then I played the Rancid album mentioned, and her ears immediately moved to a position that said I don't like this noise, whatever it is.  :ols:   So, I'm guessing cats don't like punk rock.  I'll have to check them on reggae to see if they're into it like dogs are.

@China and @LadySkinsFan, I always get a kick out of this when I see it : )

In many ways, I read, see, and imagine they're like us in that animals are cool with chill music, like Marley and Trance, but only certain animals will have a taste for going outside of that (like some won't like Florida Georgia Line, some won't like Lil John and the Eastside Boys, or anyone screaming at them).

"Meow, why are you yelling at me?"

My favorite genre is Wave/Synthwave/Future Garage, but my favorite artists are mostly classic rock bands like CCR and Lynyrd Skynyrd.  And then of course you've got the R&B legends like Isaac Hayes, Jill Scott, and Michael Jackson. 

But Synthwave is where my heart is.

I've done this topic. 

I like too many styles of music to pick a favorite. 

I will say that the heavier stuff of rock is equal to listening to James Taylor. 

Ozzy is better than most. Stevie Wonder is better than most, etc., etc., 

Same thing with Reggae, Country, and Go-Go, and several other types of music... about an hour and I would rather hear something else. 

Even some R&B... I'll take Usher over Babyface. 

I'll like a few songs from many groups/artists...but then it seems like the same thing. 

The versatility sells me on the artists in general. 

Sometimes, I simple want old rock, or old Motown, sometimes I like a twist here and there. 

This is the reason that certain artists like Bruno Mars transcend all the barriers and make simply good music. 

When it all sounds the same... it gets boring and lose interest rather quickly. 

Don't get me wrong, artists within their genre that make good produced music and make good songs are great. 

As summer rolls around, I like to listen to a lot of bands from summers past. To me, the Police are the ultimate summer band. Songs like "Roxanne", "I Can't Stand Losing You", "So Lonely", "Truth Hits Everybody" just evoke great memories from the past -- all those hot European girls you coveted back in high school.

Other great summer bands: The Cars, Chemical Brothers, White Stripes.

Favorite music is jazz, and I love too much to say that I have a single favorite. Ditto with metal, my second favorite music.

But if all I had on the desert island was Bach, the Beatles, and Duke Ellington, I'd probably be okay.

• 4 weeks later...

Couldn't pass up sharing this one:

9ThTlqg.jpg

Also not surprised I was the only one to vote "no".

Five Favorite Musical Artist / Group

1. Sade - already talked about, I can read their lyrics and enjoy it same as the music

2. The Weeknd - R&B without the happy happily everafter, enjoy his take on the genre

3. Nas - He's typically the adult in the room, still fighting the good fight

4. Carrie Underwood - She wrote a song about hiding in a storm cellar during a tornado and intentionally not waking up her abuse alcoholic father, hooked after that

5. Marilyn Manson - I get tired of seeing the same thing over and over, I respect that he tries to push the line in regards to art.  He's one of those artists that has songs that you might like more if you didn't know it was him, Taylor Swift is like that, and I expect to get as much crap for this answer as my brother gave me

@Kosher Ham You mentioned how even when you string a lot of songs you like in a row, sometimes you'll notice a common theme or sound even across multiple genres, I noticed that, too.  Just tells me the genres look each other to see what works musically in other places, hip-hop samples electronica much more then it used to, two of Kanye's most popular hits have pretty much the same beat as where they came from.

What i'm noticing is it going the other direction (hip-hop coming into electronica), I don't think it works when someone is actually rapping a lot of times, especially remixes, those are almost always worse when they add Migos out of nowhere.  But stuff like Gramatik, where its more focused on the instrumental, that seems to work.  I think he's from Europe, and The Foreign Exchange is basically a get together between takes on hip-hop from America and Europe.

Archived