Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2018 Free Agency Database - (Signed: WILLIAMS - McPhee - Scandrick - P-Rich) - (Lauvao, Bergstrom, Nsehke, Taylor, Z. Brown and Quick re-signed)

DC9

Saw these a bit ago thought these should be mentioned

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/01/sua-cravens-redskins-lions-seahawks?fv-home=true&post-id=92138

Cant we just let Su’a go already? No sense in dragging this out right? Or am I missing something? I know he was a second round pick but if they don’t want him then why keep him?

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/01/redskins-lb-zach-brown-discussing-contract?fv-home=true&post-id=92119

Good to learn we are in negotiations with him already let’s hope it goes well 

And on the wth was he thinking front?

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/01/leveon-bell-pittsburgh-steelers?fv-home=true&post-id=92131

Missing the playoff game walkthrough, turning down 30 million last season? I like Bell but damn what is the man thinking doing these sort of things??

Digging into the cap to get a better feel, I’m seeing the following - cap is projected to be 174-178 million, though most places seem to operate off 178.  Much of what follows has been mentioned, but I’m pulling on a thread here. :)

We have a little under 47 mil in cap space based off that (including our 1.8mil in rollover from 2017).  Just looking at the top 51, we’re at a little under 54 million in cap space.  

Last season, the team had 59 mil in cap space, which included our 15mil rollover.  We paid Cousins, Pryor, the Mcs, Swearinger, and Brown, totaling about 42 million.  We signed our draft picks and practice squad guys, and then a ridiculous amount of guys off the street.  Then we rolled over 1.8 million to this year.  So, in essence we saved 17 mil for rooks, emergencies, etc.  

Where I get fuzzy is the 67 players on the roster leading to 46 mil in cap space, versus the top 51 resulting in 54 million in cap space.  

If Cousins re-signs, he’d likely falls in the 24-28/yr range, though 1) I have trouble buying that the Redskins actually accept 28, and 2) it’s possible they sign him to a smaller annual salary with more guarantees, or structure it for a lower salary this year, which could take them as low as 18 (though that’s really pushing it I believe).  So let’s say 25.  

If we go with the 54 number, subtracting that 25 leaves us with 29.  Take off the 17 (could go with 15, since we rolled some over), and that leaves us with 12 (or 14).  Brown is going to eat into that big time, probably 7-10, though I’m thinking the lower end or we probably let him walk.  That leaves around 5-7 mil for any additional signings, and that’s if the cap is at 178.  

The only real potential cuts I see are Hood for 1 million in cap space, and Reed for 5.  McClain adds 3 in dead cap vs his current cap hit.  On the other hand, we may be able to re-sign Foster, Hopkins and Bergstrom for around 4 million.  Beyond that though, it will be tough to bring back a guy like Grant (don’t love the guy, but he has value to us), or Niles Paul (which I’m ok with).  Or one of our OLBs - Murphy and Galette.  

Looks like they’re going to have to get pretty creative to bring back many of our FAs or sign others... if I’m looking at things right.  

58 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Digging into the cap to get a better feel, I’m seeing the following - cap is projected to be 174-178 million, though most places seem to operate off 178.  Much of what follows has been mentioned, but I’m pulling on a thread here. :)

We have a little under 47 mil in cap space based off that (including our 1.8mil in rollover from 2017).  Just looking at the top 51, we’re at a little under 54 million in cap space.  

Last season, the team had 59 mil in cap space, which included our 15mil rollover.  We paid Cousins, Pryor, the Mcs, Swearinger, and Brown, totaling about 42 million.  We signed our draft picks and practice squad guys, and then a ridiculous amount of guys off the street.  Then we rolled over 1.8 million to this year.  So, in essence we saved 17 mil for rooks, emergencies, etc.  

Where I get fuzzy is the 67 players on the roster leading to 46 mil in cap space, versus the top 51 resulting in 54 million in cap space.  

If Cousins re-signs, he’d likely falls in the 24-28/yr range, though 1) I have trouble buying that the Redskins actually accept 28, and 2) it’s possible they sign him to a smaller annual salary with more guarantees, or structure it for a lower salary this year, which could take them as low as 18 (though that’s really pushing it I believe).  So let’s say 25.  

If we go with the 54 number, subtracting that 25 leaves us with 29.  Take off the 17 (could go with 15, since we rolled some over), and that leaves us with 12 (or 14).  Brown is going to eat into that big time, probably 7-10, though I’m thinking the lower end or we probably let him walk.  That leaves around 5-7 mil for any additional signings, and that’s if the cap is at 178.  

The only real potential cuts I see are Hood for 1 million in cap space, and Reed for 5.  McClain adds 3 in dead cap vs his current cap hit.  On the other hand, we may be able to re-sign Foster, Hopkins and Bergstrom for around 4 million.  Beyond that though, it will be tough to bring back a guy like Grant (don’t love the guy, but he has value to us), or Niles Paul (which I’m ok with).  Or one of our OLBs - Murphy and Galette.  

Looks like they’re going to have to get pretty creative to bring back many of our FAs or sign others... if I’m looking at things right.  

If we sign Cousin's to a LTD we could get him for a cap hit of around $18m for his first year. Which would leave us with about $36m in cap space. Plenty of room to work with.

HTTR 

4 hours ago, skinny21 said:

17 for rookies seems really high to me. Most teams use between 4-7 to sign them each year. Depending on the picks of course.

I know you mentioned emergencies in that number but I don’t think there is any reason to do that. Guys can always be restructured if they needed the money. 

If you use the normal number for rookies then they have more then 20 and while I don’t think that helps them be serious players in free agency (how many more teams have more money then that?) it does help some.

Just can’t see them being players in free agency this year with so many other teams loaded with more cap room  because players come here to get paid which leaves them overpaying for average talent once again. Bad idea. 

If we find the teams losing guys to other teams like Bree, Murf, Jr. then the best idea for them to make is to not sign other teams FAs for a change and play the compensatory picks game for 18. If they did that it’s possible the team could get some picks next year. Unlikely but would beat the idea of overpaying for meh 

5 hours ago, skinny21 said:

McClain can be a June 1 cut to split his cap cost between this year and next, and you're allowed to do two of them at the start of free agency

5 hours ago, markmills67 said:

If we sign Cousin's to a LTD we could get him for a cap hit of around $18m for his first year. Which would leave us with about $36m in cap space. Plenty of room to work with.

HTTR 

$18 mil?  Where did that come from?

I'd imagine he's going to need at minimum $23 - 25 guaranteed year one for him to even consider negotiating.  He and his agent know that transition tag is going to be $28 and the franchise would be $34.5... i dont think he signs an LTD for year 1 being HALF what he'd get if we tagged him.  

5 hours ago, markmills67 said:

HTTR 

It’s certainly possible, just seems a bit unlikely to me.  We saw that with Stafford, but my impression was that is was partially due to it being an extension.  

1 hour ago, bobandweave said:

17 for rookies seems really high to me. Most teams use between 4-7 to sign them each year. Depending on the picks of course.

I know you mentioned emergencies in that number but I don’t think there is any reason to do that. Guys can always be restructured if they needed the money. 

If you use the normal number for rookies then they have more then 20 and while I don’t think that helps them be serious players in free agency (how many more teams have more money then that?) it does help some.

Just can’t see them being players in free agency this year with so many other teams loaded with more cap room  because players come here to get paid which leaves them overpaying for average talent once again. Bad idea. 

If we find the teams losing guys to other teams like Bree, Murf, Jr. then the best idea for them to make is to not sign other teams FAs for a change and play the compensatory picks game for 18. If they did that it’s possible the team could get some picks next year. Unlikely but would beat the idea of overpaying for meh 

1) I agree that seems high, but we had 17 last year and used all but 1.8 for those things.  I’d love to be wrong though.  

2) Good point about compensatory picks.  We always hope for them (and never get them), but perhaps Breeland, Galette, Pryor, etc. do it for us this year.  Of course, I have to wonder if Cousins and Brown outweigh the rest.  Not entirely sure how that works.  

1 hour ago, carex said:

McClain can be a June 1 cut to split his cap cost between this year and next, and you're allowed to do two of them at the start of free agency

Great point. 

6 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

$18 mil?  Where did that come from?

I'd imagine he's going to need at minimum $23 - 25 guaranteed year one for him to even consider negotiating.  He and his agent know that transition tag is going to be $28 and the franchise would be $34.5... i dont think he signs an LTD for year 1 being HALF what he'd get if we tagged him.  

Because as long as the guarantees are high (and his salary jumps in subsequent years), you can backload the contract.  We’re not going to be able to do the old “year 5 will pay you 50 mil, but you won’t see that because your guaranteed money is up and we’ll cut you before then”.  Kirk wants to see the money, and I can’t blame him, but you could maybe go with 18 fully guaranteed year 1, then 25 fully guaranteed for years 2-4, and 30 mil year 5 with little or no guarantees.  His yearly average would be just under 25, but he’d see 93 guaranteed.  Not giving my opinion on those numbers, just showing how I think that idea could work.  

One sliver of silver lining is that Kirk seems to understand the idea of cap %, and so may be a bit flexible on salary as long as he has his guarantees.  

Sidenote:  I keep forgetting about Francis being on the roster.  I like that we have two ‘developmental’ guys that have shown some promise on the dline (adding Lanier in there).  

28 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Because as long as the guarantees are high (and his salary jumps in subsequent years), you can backload the contract.  We’re not going to be able to do the old “year 5 will pay you 50 mil, but you won’t see that because your guaranteed money is up and we’ll cut you before then”.  Kirk wants to see the money, and I can’t blame him, but you could maybe go with 18 fully guaranteed year 1, then 25 fully guaranteed for years 2-4, and 30 mil year 5 with little or no guarantees.  His yearly average would be just under 25, but he’d see 93 guaranteed.  Not giving my opinion on those numbers, just showing how I think that idea could work.  

One sliver of silver lining is that Kirk seems to understand the idea of cap %, and so may be a bit flexible on salary as long as he has his guarantees.  

Yeah i guess it could work, but if I'm Kirks agent... if they put that deal in front of me, knowing that i can force their hand to tag me at almost double that... I come back and say 'put the tag on us for $34 and we'll talk again next offseason."   Like you said, these are just opinions, but I would be very surprised if anything under $25 mil guaranteed year 1 is agreed upon, simply because they both know that we have the cap space, so if we really want Kirk here, we have the ability to do it for that tag $.  His agent knows that the $25 per year contract after this season is pretty likely, regardless of the team signing the check.  

@skinny21 There are a ton of the injury signees that can be cut without any dead cap consequences that will free up cap space.  They are all small contracts but they do add up.  Players in this bracket are:

Montori Hughes (DE) - 790k

Cameron Jefferson (RG) - 705k

Tavaris Barnes (DE) - 705k

Kenny Hilliard (RB) - 705k

Ari Kouandjio (G) - 705k - though may be brought back to camp depending on what's going on with Lavaou and Long.  Didn't make final 53 last season.

TJ Clemmings (OT) - 705k - was pretty worthless, but maybe they bring back to camp

James Sample (S) - 705k

AJ Francis (DE) - 705k - though may be brought back to camp

Demetrius Rhaney (C) - 705k

Louis Young (CB) - 630k

Alex Balducci (G) - 630k

John Kling (OT) - 630k

Cassanova McKinzy (OLB) - 630k

Alex McCalister (DE) - 630k

Kenny Ladler (S) - 555k

Pete Robertson (OLB) - 555k - though would prob come back for camp

Orion Stewart (S) - 555k

Kyle Kalis (G) - 555k - I like this guy.  Not sure why he was cut the final cut day but could be a released

Ondre Pipkins (DT) - 555k

LeShun Daniels (RB) - 555k

Otha Peters (ILB) - 555k

Manasseh Garner (TE) - 480k

Dare Ogunbowale (RB) - 480k

Added all up, it comes to ~14.5m added to the cap.

12 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

Yeah i guess it could work, but if I'm Kirks agent... if they put that deal in front of me, knowing that i can force their hand to tag me at almost double that... I come back and say 'put the tag on us for $34 and we'll talk again next offseason."   Like you said, these are just opinions, but I would be very surprised if anything under $25 mil guaranteed year 1 is agreed upon, simply because they both know that we have the cap space, so if we really want Kirk here, we have the ability to do it for that tag $.  His agent knows that the $25 per year contract after this season is pretty likely, regardless of the team signing the check.  

His signing bonus alone on a LTD will far exceed the 34m franchise tag.  Contract can be structured in a way where he gets HUGE dollars in year one (from signing bonus) and still provide a better % of cap hit to be able to sign others.

1 hour ago, skinny21 said:

1) I agree that seems high, but we had 17 last year and used all but 1.8 for those things.  I’d love to be wrong though.  

2) Good point about compensatory picks.  We always hope for them (and never get them), but perhaps Breeland, Galette, Pryor, etc. do it for us this year.  Of course, I have to wonder if Cousins and Brown outweigh the rest.  Not entirely sure how that works.  

Do you know how that 17 was broken down by which players etc.? Must be in their nature to have cap laying around to use in case of a surprise cut. And that would be a good idea especially for this team if they do see guys walking out the door on them. 

6 minutes ago, carex said:

@Paul Cumberland many of those guys aren't actually counting against the cap right now due to the offseason Top 51 rule

That will be true when the top-51 rule goes into effect at the start of the new league year (3/14) which also coincides with the start of free agency.  Team currently has 65 players under contract for 2018.  Everyone I listed above 555k salary is above the cutoff line.  Now assuming we sign larger contracts, it could push those people down and since offseason rosters are limited to 90 players, I can see a lot of those coming back for at least camp purposes, so yeah.. there's that, I suppose..  But that being said, if we need to free up space, I just wanted to point out which players could potentially be released in order to do so.

40 minutes ago, Paul Cumberland said:

@skinny21 There are a ton of the injury signees that can be cut without any dead cap consequences that will free up cap space.  They are all small contracts but they do add up.  Players in this bracket are:

Added all up, it comes to ~14.5m added to the cap.

His signing bonus alone on a LTD will far exceed the 34m franchise tag.  Contract can be structured in a way where he gets HUGE dollars in year one (from signing bonus) and still provide a better % of cap hit to be able to sign others.

Any idea how/when that 14.5 comes into play?  Something about the rule of 51 and the 53 man roster, plus PS guys that I may be missing in my calculations.  I hate the cap rules sometimes...

19 minutes ago, bobandweave said:

Do you know how that 17 was broken down by which players etc.? Must be in their nature to have cap laying around to use in case of a surprise cut. And that would be a good idea especially for this team if they do see guys walking out the door on them. 

I don’t, and don’t know a way to check without really getting into the weeds, lol.  I believe 5-6 million for rooks and so I guess the remaining 9-10 (because we rolled over 1.8 of that 17) went to replacing the 20 guys on IR and futures/PS guys.  

I get the compensatory thing in general, just not sure if re-signing your own counts against that.  Or if it only counts if you re-sign them after FA actually begins.  Haven’t watched the video yet though, so maybe it’s addressed there.  

Edit: @carex so ~ 1.3 cap savings this year and 2.25 next year then for McClain (as a June 1 cut).  I still wonder if he can turn it around (he had a learning curve I believe), but whether we have the time (and cap space) to hold off on that decision until later in the offseason is another story.  

28 minutes ago, Paul Cumberland said:

I get that... but that number still effects the cap so the amount of $18 mil cap hit for next season is still very low imho.  Unless I'm misunderstanding the way the cap works vs the signing bonus, it still hits the cap, and is part of that 'guaranteed money' that we offer.  I can understand if base salary is $18 mil but it was suggested that $18 mil is the cap hit for next season, which would include at least a portion of the prorated signing bonus.

I don't know the ins and outs of the cap, so I very well be very wrong and misunderstanding how it works.. 

7 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Any idea how/when that 14.5 comes into play?  Something about the rule of 51 and the 53 man roster, plus PS guys that I may be missing in my calculations.  I hate the cap rules sometimes...

I don’t, and don’t know a way to check without really getting into the weeds, lol.  I believe 5-6 million for rooks and so I guess the remaining 9-10 (because we rolled over 1.8 of that 17) went to replacing the 20 guys on IR and futures/PS guys.  

I get the compensatory thing in general, just not sure if re-signing your own counts against that.  Or if it only counts if you re-sign them after FA actually begins.  Haven’t watched the video yet though, so maybe it’s addressed there.  

PS guys count against the cap in-season but you gotta get to final cuts to sign them.  There is no offseason PS.  Not sure if reserve/future deals have any impact till OTAs and/or camp begins.  Those players will hit the off-season roster at some point and be part of the 90 teams are allowed to have.  As for the top 51-rule, I commented on that above your post here and how it could push some of the players I listed below the line.  That said, those cuts still could occur before FA begins to free up cap space

This isn't going to be popular with some, but with the thought of freeing up cap space, we could either outright cut Norman (gaining 8m in 2018 cap space) or designate him a June 1 cut (gaining 14m in 2018 cap space).  When those funds are available is different depending on what kind of cut he'd be.  Dead cap would be huge if outright cut (9m) but would provide cap funds immediately.  Perhaps we can re-sign the younger Breeland with that though if contract is properly structured.  A June 1 cut wouldn't provide funds until June 2 but would make the dead cap hit more bearable where it would be a 3m dead cap hit in 2018 and 6m in 2019.  Those funds could be used for emergency/injury signings along with draft picks though normally we have our draft picks signed way before then so they can take part in OTAs, etc.

28 minutes ago, Paul Cumberland said:

@OVCChairman Just as an example, say the QB signs a 5-yr contract with a fully guaranteed signing bonus of 70m.  The signing bonus is split equally across all 5 years which is a 14m cap each year.  If the year 1 salary is only 4m, then the cap hit is 18m in year one.  QB pockets 74m in year one that way...

right, so we're speaking the same language.  

that $18 mil year 1 just seems low but my math may be off. 

12 minutes ago, carex said:

I'd rather just try to renegotiate Norman's contract.  And cutting someone to try to re-sign someone sounds like a good way to lose both

I agree with the renegotiation tactic but it has to be agreed to.  Not sure Norman will take a pay cut or add voidable years.  The other option is a restructure but that's what got us into cap hell when Vinny was around.  Personally, if Norman looks himself square in the mirror and thinks he played up to his 20m cap hit in 2017, he's gotta be fooling himself - regardless of the ribs and lung issues.  Some here will point out his leadership and swagger he brings to the defense.  Personally, I'd rather have less of that and more play making ability.  He's getting long in the tooth as well for a CB.  Darrell Green being the exception to the rule.

4 minutes ago, Paul Cumberland said:

I agree with the renegotiation tactic but it has to be agreed to.  Not sure Norman will take a pay cut or add voidable years.  The other option is a restructure but that's what got us into cap hell when Vinny was around.  Personally, if Norman looks himself square in the mirror and thinks he played up to his 20m cap hit in 2017, he's gotta be fooling himself - regardless of the ribs and lung issues.  Some here will point out his leadership and swagger he brings to the defense.  Personally, I'd rather have less of that and more play making ability.  He's getting long in the tooth as well for a CB.  Darrell Green being the exception to the rule.

I think his cap number actually drops over the final 2 years of the deal... not a MAJOR drop by any means, but that opens the door for a restructure with an added season or 2.  

I do see a note here that 2018 salary fully guarantees on March 18, so I would assume if any move is going to be made with him, it's going to be before that date.

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I think his cap number actually drops over the final 2 years of the deal... not a MAJOR drop by any means, but that opens the door for a restructure with an added season or 2.  

There is no guaranteed money in the last two years of the deal. The cap numbers are $14.5 million in 2019 and $15.5 million in 2020. They could let him go prior to the 2019 season and incur a $6 million dead cap charge; the dead cap drops to $3 million in 2020

5 minutes ago, OVCChairman said:

I do see a note here that 2018 salary fully guarantees on March 18, so I would assume if any move is going to be made with him, it's going to be before that date.

Didn't see the exact date from my research but that would be the 3rd day of the new league year and you're correct, his 2018 contract becomes fully guaranteed then.  Decisions, decisions...

4 minutes ago, Paul Cumberland said:

There is no guaranteed money in the last two years of the deal. The cap numbers are $14.5 million in 2019 and $15.5 million in 2020. They could let him go prior to the 2019 season and incur a $6 million dead cap charge; the dead cap drops to $3 million in 2020

Didn't see the exact date from my research but that would be the 3rd day of the new league year and you're correct, his 2018 contract becomes fully guaranteed then.  Decisions, decisions...

I believe the 'prorated' part is the guaranteed money - 3 mil for each of the 3 remaining years of his contract.  

We can definitely push money out (turning it into bonuses) if he agrees, but doesn't that just push the dead money hit till later, as well as add to the cap hit later?  

The good news is that we're mostly looking to add/keep smaller contracts - Foster, Hopkins, maybe Murphy, etc.  So while we only have a little leeway, we should be able to retain who we want (besides a few guys, Breeland in particular) with small adjustments/cuts.  Of course that means we are pretty much out of the running for a higher priced FA (NT, receiver, LG). Not great to go into the draft with needs, but at least we have some options there - they're just far from ideal at the moment - in Hood, Kalis/Koaundijo/Catalina, Harris/Davis.  

15 minutes ago, Paul Cumberland said:

Right, so anyone could see how he might be willing to restructure to lock up those last 2 years (at a minimum).  You hope he's willing to look at himself and understand his situation... and part of that situation is that his contract exceeded his value in the 2nd half of the season, and he's going to have a hard time getting another double digit type payday.  

Archived