Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Gruden, Cousins are not winners

FordBailey

3 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

I gave you pretty much every Superbowl winner over the past decade or so, none of them have won or made it to Superbowls after signing big deals (I guess Ryan did).

Maybe its a coincidence, maybe not.  Its the main thing that scares me about the huge deal because I'm not confident in the FO.

With all that said, let's just get him signed.

You could be right about the correlation/causation between QB contracts and actually winning a SB.  I'd have to do some research on that.  But I have to go to bed.  I'll try to get to it later.  

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

Long on words and short on facts.  This team just went to OT while being decimated with injuries.  I'm not Gruden/Cousins fanboy but this thread is what us long term posters hate about the Stadium.  No new intelligent thought.  No unique view.  Just a thread dumping on the coach and QB who honestly did pretty well considering the team we played.  I get it sucks to be so close and lose.  But who even thought we would be this close?  

Dude, they were up by 15 with 3 minutes left. This isn’t your garden variety loss, and the large numbers of points this team has given up after the two minute warning all season is indicative of how badly our coaching staff gets outcoached. 

1 minute ago, Gamebreaker said:

Dude, they were up by 15 with 3 minutes left. This isn’t your garden variety loss, and the large numbers of points this team has given up after the two minute warning all season is indicative of how badly our coaching staff gets outcoached. 

And if the OP had referenced that and made some kind of intelligent breakdown, I would say it was a good post.  But it didn't.  It is just ****ing.

18 minutes ago, jschuck12001 said:

I don't want to argue about if Kirk is or isn't worth it but I can tell you right now Big Ben, Brees, and Rodgers didn't get their huge contracts until after they won a Superbowl.

I'm not sure Matt Ryan was at 15% of total cap last year, he's short of that this year and Kaepernick wasn't at 15% of the total cap when he went to the Superbowl.

Brady has never been at 15% of his team's cap, goofy Flacco wasn't at 15% of the cap when he won the Superbowl or when he made several playoff appearances and either was Wilson when he won the Superbowl.

What about Eli, not sure he's ever been at 15% of his team's cap.

These are my sentiments exactly. If we pay him what we are paying him now we are essentially stuck with the roster we have. 

Thought Cousins was amazing.  He threaded the needle on so many plays and took huge hits to deliver the ball.  I thought Gruden called a gutsy game and the only call that really bothered me was the 3rd and short where we ran the ball.  The fake punt and conversion was frickin' awesome but we just don't have the blockers that knock people back most of the time so I hate when we try to run 3rd and short.  I'd prefer a QB sneak twice or really I'd prefer them to throw even though people will complain about that too if they don't succeed.  Just think it has a better shot.  Even though we gained a lot of yards running the ball, it was still very iffy.  Might break a good one but frequently lost yards so I really don't have confidence in running the ball and surprised they do.

Other than that, heart-breaking to see the complete meltdown on defense after such a good game.  I half expected it since we don't seem to be able to stop anyone once they go to a 2-minute like offense but still didn't expect anything this drastic.

Also felt really bad for Cousins and the offense after the miscommunication at the end of regulation.  That has to be the worst timing ever.  I truly feel terrible for Cousins after such an incredible game.  Not the way to end it.

If we’re being honest, its a combination of everything. The entire team is mediocre. Its not the injuries, the refs or one part of the team. As a whole, we’re just not good enough. We like to think we are better but I would not be surprised if we finish this year with a worse record than last year, which was worse than the year before. So its quite possible we are a worse team.

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

Cousins had a great game. I was all ready to type "this is the kind of game that gets QBs everything they want in contract roulette" then intentional grounding, intentional grounding, and fumble.

He led us to the field goal and still found a way to **** it up. Injuries or not that was pathetic. Defense wins the trophy for most pathetic, but **** them all.

To me, it looked like one of the receivers ran the wrong route.  It looked like Cousins expected (Crowder?) to break toward the sideline but he did not.  Therefore, intentional grounding occurred as the receiver ran the wrong route.  The penalty is assigned to the QB but I’m not convinced he is the root cause.  Has this been debunked in the post game presser, etc?

There is definitely a stench of losing that permeates this franchise, but its not just Cousins and Gruden. Nobody wins here. Shanahan couldn't. Gibbs couldn't besides two fluky playoff runs. RG3 a heisman trophy winner and most electrifying player to enter the league broke down in 3 years here. It starts at the top but I hate playing the Fire Dan Snyder card.

• TSO locked this topic

Archived