Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Presidential Election: 11/3/20 ---Now the President Elect Joe Biden Thread

88Comrade2000
Message added by TK,

1 hour ago, Rufus T Firefly said:

They've stayed in this long and now there's only three months till votes are cast. I'm not sure how many will drop out form now until then, though I hope it's several.

Meanwhile, we're likely headed to another 10 person debate in November. The DNC is making sure we never get to see anything like a real debate.

Was just about to say the same. She's just moving more and more to get Republican sport for a 3rd party run. There's no "she doesn't know what she's saying" here. 

A lot of them are hoping Joe collapses. That may still happen but it won't happen until South Carolina and Super Tuesday. Doubtful anyone can last that long.

It's a 3 way race for now between the top 3.

I don't mind Tulsi running 3rd party. Right now her biggest backers are ultra-right wing Hindu's in the US like my aunt who are consistently Republican voters. They've been holding fundraisers for her throughout the country. Rather than holding fundraisers for Republicans as they usually do, all of them are balls deep in supporting Tulsi's campaign right now. Some of this even bears out in data, where Tulsi supporters seem to be people who don't favor any Dem candidate:

Her base is going to be small regardless, but I fully welcome her candidacy. 👍

1 hour ago, skinsmarydu said:

I'm just realizing that the Iowa caucuses are the day after the Super Bowl. Remember when that drunk John Boehner wanted to make SB Monday a federal holiday? It doesn't seem that crazy now. B)

No need. The NFL will be adding 2 more weeks of football. Most likely by going to a 17 week season with 2 byes. So, the Superbowl will be President's Day weekend.

2 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Should have doubled it to 6%.

I may be a bit of a broken record on this, but at some point at least, they should have switched to polling averages rather than just making an arbitrary cutoff in a couple of random polls.

As an example, right now in the RCP national average, Beto is at 2.3% while Tom Steyer is at 1.0. 

Yet Steyer has easily qualified for the next debate, while O'Rourke is only halfway to the benchmark and in danger of not making it.

I supported a lot of what the DNC was doing early on in the debate process, but at this point they are being really dumb about it. 

Whenever I see articles accusing someone of "Remaking Capitalism" or similar phrases in the headline, I tend to think what they really mean is going back to a more regulated/checks & balances, pre-Reagan era way of doing business and that these articles operate under the idea that Reaganism/Trickle Down is the default position of American Economic principles, anything before it should be forgotten about forever.   The truth is Reaganism is really where the huge change started, that was the "Revolution" as they say.  When you see many of the modern day trends, the 80's are where a lot of them either started or hit the steroids level of acceleration and neither the Republicans or even the Democrats have done a while lot to reverse the trends, although the Dems usually will try to make small changes (ala what they can actually get passed). 

And when I see a statement like "If Elizabeth Warren's entire plan were enacted, roughly half the stockmarket and private-equity owned firms would be broken up, have some activities prohibited or face heavy regulation ", what I see is somebody who's trying to terrify you with "broken up", by lumping them in with "be regulated".  

And I've gotta say, the thought that the financial sector might be regulated doesn't exactly scare me.  If it's the right regulation, I think it's about time.  

So, the statistic is the top 1% has gained $21 trillion over the last 30 years, while the bottom 50% has lost a trillion.

The Trump administration's signature move was cutting taxes on the wealthy by about another $2 trillion, with the argument ostensibly being that if the wealthy have more money to spend and invest they'll elevate the people at the bottom. And wages have barely moved in spite of the booming economy (which isn't at all surprising to those of us who pay attention to reality).

Is there some point where that large percentage of voters in this country realize the "Oh, no, if you regulate and tax the rich, things will be bad for people at the bottom" line, which is being fed to them by the wealthy, is self-serving nonsense? 

Yeah, I'm not optimistic either. 

Archived