Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Emerging Technologies....They Might Have Cured Cancer….Also Leaf Blower Silencers!

PleaseBlitz

And see @CousinsCowgirl84the "IT bro" **** is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not an "IT bro". I'm a network and datacenter architect with over 20 years of experience in designing and building for many large service providers. I have direct experience in designing and engineering many technologies including satellite broadband.

Yet because I said something you didn't like about Musk and pointed out things that you didn't like or agree with, you choose to demean and minimize my career and expertise. I really hope you don't do this sort of stuff to people in real life.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mistertim said:

And see @CousinsCowgirl84the "IT bro" **** is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not an "IT bro". I'm a network and datacenter architect with over 20 years of experience in designing and building for many large service providers. I have direct experience in designing and engineering many technologies including satellite broadband.

Yet because I said something you didn't like about Musk and pointed out things that you didn't like or agree with, you choose to demean and minimize my career and expertise. I really hope you don't do this sort of stuff to people in real life.

Sounds like a job interview gone wrong.

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

And see @CousinsCowgirl84the "IT bro" **** is exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not an "IT bro"

come on I am teasing you about it now it’s an ongoing thing.  I didn’t think it bothered you. 

12 minutes ago, mistertim said:

. I'm a network and datacenter architect with over 20 years of experience in designing and building for many large service providers. I have direct experience in designing and engineering many technologies including satellite broadband.

Yet because I said something you didn't like about Musk

Only when you try to say he hasn’t achieved or created anything. Or when someone makes false claims about Starlink or Autopilot. 

It’s obvious I’m a fan of his and I’m not ashamed of it, but I have hardly praised everything he's done or condoned everything he tweeted.

He was cool with liberals UNTIL he disagreed with them on COVID. As soon has he did that he became a pariah. He didn’t fit in with their identity based politics anymore because (somewhat understandably) liberals were stuck in an Us VS Trump mentality.

I remember remember when COVID first started I questioned whether the lock downs were worth it, but turns out I was wrong about that.  Elon was wrong too. But ever since then (and not before) the knives have been out.

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

20 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Please cite examples of when we debated about something I have experience in and you don't (ala sat broadband, the internet, communications, etc) and I was factually incorrect and you were correct.

Dammit, I was hoping you'd mention snakes.  

To be somewhat fair, I can imagine that getting a little out of touch about money is hard not to do at that point. When you could probably find $100,000 in between the cushions of your couch and you've been that way for decades it might get harder to relate to people with regular jobs and lives.

Though I'd hope that he'd think a bit about saying something like that and how it would sound before saying it publicly. Just because you're out of touch about money doesn't mean you have to make sure the world knows it and sound so out of touch.

I think the average American cut their cable years ago. I know I did. Wasn’t a great deal though cause now I got HBO max Showtime Disney plus discovery plus Netflix and Amazon prime.   A sucker is born every minute…. 

but unless I’m doing something wrong 

100,000/20 = 5000/year 

5000/12 = $416/mo

i think my cable bill when I had it was around $150….

54 minutes ago, The Evil Genius said:

The average American is paying over $400 a month for cable?

Have none of you dumb ****ers heard of compounding returns? An S&P Index fund has averaged 10.3% over its history. At that rate you will take less than 20 years.

Edited by Corcaigh
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Corcaigh said:

Have none of you dumb ****ers heard of compounding returns? An S&P Index fund has averaged 10.3% over its history. At that rate you will take less than 20 years.

Uhhh...give me a sec...

giphy-downsized-large.gif.9c6ab5ca49d38ea03f94afaf458f3c6c.gif

...how do you spell S&P?

• Haha 6

Elon Musk says “almost anyone” can save up $100,000 for a hypothetical ticket to Mars. “We want to make it available to anyone who wants to go.”

How long's a round trip to Mars? A year? I guess if one never takes a vacation during this hypothetical 20 years of savings ones boss would totes be cool with giving them a year off to travel to Mars.

Sure it'll be available for all to go. The wealthy will be the only ones able at first tho. Much like the aviation industry space travel will eventually be streamlined sos the average person can afford the cost. Probably a lot of government subsidies involved as well. 

2 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

How long's a round trip to Mars? A year? I guess if one never takes a vacation during this hypothetical 20 years of savings ones boss would totes be cool with giving them a year off to travel to Mars.

Sure it'll be available for all to go. The wealthy will be the only ones able at first tho. Much like the aviation industry space travel will eventually be streamlined sos the average person can afford the cost. Probably a lot of government subsidies involved as well. 

Aren't pretty much all hypothetical early Mars trips going to be one way?

Rich people spending a bunch to go up into space and then return is one thing, but exactly how many of them are really going to be interested in paying a ****load for the privilege of going on a dangerous one way trip to a barren and desolate wasteland filled with hardship which will eventually be their final resting place as well?

That's basically like paying money to move to a remote penal colony with no hope of ever being released.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

This is what Musk has said, numerous times.

Rich people spending a bunch to go up into space and then return is one thing, but exactly how many of them are really going to be interested in paying a ****load for the privilege of going on a dangerous one way trip to a barren and desolate wasteland filled with hardship which will eventually be their final resting place as well?

Well, not Elon Musk. That’s for sure. He wants to send the people to mars. The first people to Mars wont be rich billionaires. It will be explorers who want to to. Then once it becomes safe you might see some people pay to go, but I’d be surprised if that happens in my lifetime (40-50 years left)

That's basically like paying money to move to a remote penal colony with no hope of ever being released.

More akin to leaving Europe for America in the 1700s.

https://www.businessinsider.com/elon-musk-doesnt-want-to-die-going-to-mars-2016-9?amp

https://www.space.com/elon-musk-mars-spacex-risks-astronauts-die

• Thumb up 1

Most definitely. At some point tho I'd figure the real money for space travel companies would be in leisure travel / tourism. Probably because of all the times I seens the Total Recall. 

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRdW-qTWGTE8DC742BeVuB

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

20 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

With one primary difference being that America was habitable by humans. It would be like going to America in the 1700s if American in the 1700s was a desert with no air. And many people went to America in the early days with eyes on their fortunes. Mars has no fortunes. It's a rock covered with rust.

14 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

or mining asteroids.

Yeah mining asteroids definitely has the potential to be legit, but only once the cost of travel to them and equipment to mine them becomes economically viable compared to what we could bring back from them. Transporting several hundred tons of raw ore from space to the surface of the Earth sounds like a logistical nightmare.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thumb up 1