Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Liquor Thread

PokerPacker

59 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I refuse to wait in line for things. 

The opportunity to buy an allocated bourbon for 1/10 the price of secondary market is worth a little wait for me. 

There’s so much hitting stores tomorrow though that if you just want a bottle of Weller Special Reserve, just roll up at 10 and you’re probably fine. Stagg is going to be tough to score though. 

Struck out on Stagg. Went to three stores and they all had 10+ people in line for no more than 6 bottles of Stagg (before 8am when it was 25 degrees out). Apparently one of the local stores had 10 people in line at 2:30am. Ridiculous. I’m not that nuts. I ended up snagging the last bottle of Weller Full Proof that my store had (14th in line). 

On 11/19/2021 at 4:39 PM, skinsfan_1215 said:

Gonna be cold as hell tomorrow morning but I’m about to sit outside for two hours for George T Stagg. 

Good luck!

Buy a bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel proof.  It's around $66.00 and is one of the most underrated and best barrel proofers out there, regardless of price.  No need to wait😁

It held its own against the GTS, in a blind tasting, right @HOF44 ?

53 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Good luck!

Buy a bottle of Jack Daniel's Single Barrel Barrel proof.  It's around $66.00 and is one of the most underrated and best barrel proofers out there, regardless of price.  No need to wait😁

You're a day late.

Anyways, I got up late this morning and didn't get any of the limited releases.  I am a sad panda.  I like the lotteries; they don't rely on me being a morning person.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Good luck!

It’s ok, but let’s not get carried away. It’s not GTS. 

• Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, HOF44 said:

It’s ok, but let’s not get carried away. It’s not GTS. 

GTS

There is no substitute.

At least the JDSBBP is attainable,  for the unwashed masses.

11 hours ago, PokerPacker said:

You're a day late.

Anyways, I got up late this morning and didn't get any of the limited releases.  I am a sad panda.  I like the lotteries; they don't rely on me being a morning person.

Don't sweat it.

There are a ton of great choices out there...

Has anybody else gone basically taste-blind to the smokiness in peated scotch? I recently realized I have a hard time detecting smoke at all, even in very heavily peated scotch like Laphroaig and Ardbeg. I definitely get the rest of the typical Islay funky flavors (brine, iodine, etc) but the smoke just isn’t there anymore. Recalling the first time I tried Laphroaig, which was very early in my whisky journey, I described it like licking an ashtray. That’s not there at all anymore. 

1 hour ago, skinsfan_1215 said:

Has anybody else gone basically taste-blind to the smokiness in peated scotch? I recently realized I have a hard time detecting smoke at all, even in very heavily peated scotch like Laphroaig and Ardbeg. I definitely get the rest of the typical Islay funky flavors (brine, iodine, etc) but the smoke just isn’t there anymore. Recalling the first time I tried Laphroaig, which was very early in my whisky journey, I described it like licking an ashtray. That’s not there at all anymore. 

I love those heavily peated Islay whiskeys.

It sounds like your palate has evolved to the point that you're picking up a lot of different flavors, other than just the peat smokiness.

It's there. Do a side-by-side tasting against a Speyside, or a blend, and you'll notice a huge difference.

I'm no expert, by any means, JMHO.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yo, I jus walked out of Giant in VA with a 6-pack of Fireball. I asked if it was fireball flavour holiday syrup and they said nope its whiskey.

I thought you couldn't sell liquor in grocery stores in Virginia, did some rule change recently?  The cashier didn't know, said it jus showed up and they put it on the shelves.

Not complaining, jus confused...

Just now, Renegade7 said:

Yo, I jus walked out of Giant in VA with a 6-pack of Fireball. I asked if it was fireball flavour holiday syrup and they said nope its whiskey.

I thought you couldn't sell liquor in grocery stores in Virginia, did some rule change recently?  The cashier didn't know, said it jus showed up and they put it on the shelves.

Question #1: Are you British?
Question #2: Since when does Fireball come in a six-pack?
Question #3: Does the "fireball" have an ABV or Proof on it?
Question #4: Pics or it didn't happen.

• Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Question #1: Are you British?
Question #2: Since when does Fireball come in a six-pack?
Question #3: Does the "fireball" have an ABV or Proof on it?
Question #4: Pics or it didn't happen.

All fair questions:

1. No

2. I have no idea, thats why I'm asking yall

3. 16.5% alcohol by volume

4. 20211231_202427.thumb.jpg.dcd52bd79225937f8e06e7762989c621.jpg

I'm flabbergasted, bro, and I guess I'm not the only one..very weird...

Edited by Renegade7

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

All fair questions:

1. No

2. I have no idea, thats why I'm asking yall

3. 16.5% alcohol by volume

4. 20211231_202427.thumb.jpg.dcd52bd79225937f8e06e7762989c621.jpg

I'm flabbergasted, bro, and I guess I'm not the only one..very weird...

Hmm, 16.5% isn't THAT much.  That may simply be low enough alcohol percentage to not fall under Liquor categorization.  I've had some beers close to that ABV.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, PokerPacker said:

Hmm, 16.5% isn't THAT much.  That may simply be low enough alcohol percentage to not fall under Liquor categorization.  I've had some beers close to that ABV.

That makes sense, I normally don't get fireball, and jus looked on ABC website and picture it has of fireball is 33% ABV. 

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/whiskey/fireball-cinnamon-whisky

That sounds like a loophole to get certain brands of alcohol in stores that aren't normally allowed to.

I always thought it was type of alcohol required to be in ABC store, not ABV, but hey, more you know...

Edited by Renegade7

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That makes sense, I normally don't get fireball, and jus looked on ABC website and picture it has of fireball is 33% ABV. 

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/whiskey/fireball-cinnamon-whisky

That sounds like a loophole to get certain brands of alcohol in stores that aren't normally allowed to.

I always thought it was type of alcohol required to be in ABC store, not ABV, but hey, more you know...

Hmm, so the regular Fireball has twice the ABV as what you just picked up, then.  Interesting.

On the bright side, @PleaseBlitz's reputation is restored.

I'm now wondering if somebody in charge of the packaging screwed up and it's actually 33%, but they thought they were converting 33-proof into a percentage.  We now require you to chug a bunch of the stuff and tell us if it gets you drunk like a 16.5% or 33% drink.

Edited by PokerPacker
  • Haha 3

Fireball story.

It was August 30, 2014.  I remember the date because my alma mater was playing ****ing Alabama in football that day.  https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/400547835

Although it was a huge game that I ordinarily would not have missed, wife and I had to catch a flight from DC Reagan to Rochester NY for my grandfather's funeral.  My grandfather was one of the most impressive and kindest people in my life, CEO of of NYSE-listed company but spent most of his time doing charitable stuff.  

In any event, my wife and I boarded our flight but then it got delayed so we offload along with 100 other people.  It was rescheduled for like 4 hours later, which means it would be leaving at like midnight.  Given the above I am (1) annoyed, (2) very much in the mood to drink and (3) stuck at DC Reagan.

A ****ing Chiles is the only bar open.  It is an important detail that I had only been making lawyer money for about 8 months at this point, so it is new and awesome to me to have a great deal of disposable income.  The WVU/Alabama game is on.  WVU is keeping it close. The bartender seems cool.  

My wife is NOT a whiskey girl, but for whatever reason the bartender is pushing Fireball and my wife is like ok.  I am like "JUST FILL THE ****ING GLASS."  

Skip ahead an hour.  WVU is still in it.  Kevin White is destroying Alabama's defense.  My wife and I have hooted an hollered enough that a dozen other people have joined us.  I am buying rounds of Fireball for everyone.  Wife and I have had WAY more of our fill of Fireball than is healthy.  The bar RAN OUT OF Fireball, and I gave the bartender $100 to go steal some from the bar next door which was closed.  The party must go on.  Wife and I have had WAY more of our fill of Fireball than is healthy. 

Wife and I have had WAY more of our fill of Fireball than is healthy. 

We eventually lose and the flight eventually boards and we go to Rochester.  

We learned that we were expecting our first child about 2 weeks later.  While my daughter was in utero, I nicknamed her Fireball. 

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Now that you say that....I did see Fireball shots for sale at Target the other day and I forgot all about that VA liquor law.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Skip ahead an hour.  WVU is still in it.  Kevin White is destroying Alabama's defense.  My wife and I have hooted an hollered enough that a dozen other people have joined us.  I am buying rounds of Fireball for everyone.  Wife and I have had WAY more of our fill of Fireball than is healthy.  The bar RAN OUT OF Fireball, and I gave the bartender $100 to go steal some from the bar next door which was clo

Rochester. 

Speaking of drink8ng soemtj8ng dry.  We were headed up to WhistlePig farm to pick a couple barrels of whiskey.  It was only $99 bucks more to fly first class so we get first class seats and then drink the plane dry of whoskey miniatures plus we had each brought a bunch of 2 ounce bottles carry on.   We were sloshed by the t8me we got to Vermont.  

8A20A4C5-627A-40AC-A608-B662D82C31D9.jpeg

782EC196-3345-444A-8A15-5CD8260DF511.jpeg

DE362365-E504-4E26-AC35-A2363DAD928A.jpeg

Edited by HOF44
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HOF44 said:

Speaking of drink8ng soemtj8ng dry.  We were headed up to WhistlePig farm to pick a couple barrels of whiskey.  It was only $99 bucks more to fly first class so we get first class seats and then drink the plane dry of whoskey miniatures plus we had each brought a bunch of 2 ounce bottles carry on.   We were sloshed by the t8me we got to Vermont.  

C265E8F2-245D-4A12-9C47-5214A4AB6888.MOV   C265E8F2-245D-4A12-9C47-5214A4AB6888.MOV   78F04F37-03E5-4D35-9C2E-632E2FB28CB0.MOV  

8A20A4C5-627A-40AC-A608-B662D82C31D9.jpeg

782EC196-3345-444A-8A15-5CD8260DF511.jpeg

DE362365-E504-4E26-AC35-A2363DAD928A.jpeg

😂

We did the same thing, years ago, in First Class on Air Jamaica. We drank them out of whiskey and Bloody Mary mix.