Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When does physical attraction end and objectification begin?

BornaSkinsFan83

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

C'mon.  If I see a pretty woman on the street I'm not gonna ask her what she got on her SATs.  

Well I think there are two different arguments then. If its just random women on the street,or in a magazine or something, someone you can't ever really talk to, then its tough to really go beyond observation of her physical appearance anyway.

Seeing a beautiful woman and thinking "damn I'd love to hit that" I don't really consider that objectification. if you're a red blooded male, that's just biology.

My non expert opinion:

Objectification isn't about what you find attractive.  It's about recognizing the other person as a human being that exists, and is valuable, for reasons that have nothing to do with you or your gratification.  So assuring people that you dig smart chicks too doesn't change anything.  Treat people as equals and you'll have no problem avoiding objectification.

As for sports illustrated and similar media... I think one could argue that a photo is an object.  What exactly am I to do with photo that been enhanced and crafted purely to look as sexy as possible that isn't objectifying?  I don't think anyone expects you to treat photos as equals or value a nude picture as an equal.  Perhaps the reason objectification comes up is that a steady stream of images and videos presenting women as nothing more than objects of desire can condition us to view actual women that way.  Or at least treat them as such. 

Great examples of this conditioning are easily seen when women that do not model and are not in fact engaged in any activity having to do with their appearance have something to contribute and yet many responses focus immediately on their appearance.  Why for example should people comment on the appearance of a female political leader before they even bother to discuss what she's said?  Maybe it's because they've been conditioned to value women on how pleasing their appearance is.  It's something to consider. 

I think first we need to figure out if you are just talking about what goes off in your head when you observe an attractive female (at work, randomly on the street, at school etc etc) or also talking about how you actually interact with females.

For me, it is not so much what is in your head, as how you are able to filter that to come off like a decent human being when it comes to actual interaction.

Natural biology is going to dictate what flashes across your brain no matter how hard you try to stop it.

4 minutes ago, NoCalMike said:

I think first we need to figure out if you are just talking about what goes off in your head when you observe an attractive female (at work, randomly on the street, at school etc etc) or also talking about how you actually interact with females.

For me, it is not so much what is in your head, as how you are able to filter that to come off like a decent human being when it comes to actual interaction.

Natural biology is going to dictate what flashes across your brain no matter how hard you try to stop it.

No doubt, I've been reading this thread thinking I'm an awful human being because there is a short list of women that I haven't assessed whether I would do them or not in my head, pretty much instantly upon seeing or meeting them.  Most of my good friends are the same way.  It's just the way we're wired. 

It doesn't mean that I can't see them for more than that, but it's the very first thing that comes to mind.

4 hours ago, LadySkinsFan said:

So, we live in a culture where girls/women choose to get attention through sexual/objectification means instead of through their intellect, character, heart because the sexual/objectification is perceived as more valuable. That's what we are teaching girls that seeking attention is their goal in life.

They see it pays off for some, I.e. Kim Kardashian sex tape and the whole Kardashian "celebrity" thing. 

Youre assuming there is some other way for them to get attention.  People use what they can do get ahead, you shouldnt fault them for it.  Men do it too

Also, there are many women and men that do both.  I wish I was one of them, Im too ugly.  But i would if i could

All I know is, I may look at a woman's ass and briefly envision pressing my face into a a fluffy stack of pancakes, but when it comes to dialogue with said woman, i am respectful and chivalrous.

I can control that aspect of my brain. I think the immediate thought is natural, and that there is nothing wrong with it. There are thoughts and there are actions.

That being said, im sure there are women/men who cause people to say "Hey he/she's cute, and there are men/women where the immediate thought is sex. 

Thats just the way it is

Archived