Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

***The All-Encompassing ES Hip Hop Thread***

RonArtest15

7 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Probably because most of it just isn’t any good anymore. I know there’s some truth to the whole new music sucking as you age thing, but I think most of today’s rap artists, to use the term loosely, have zero talent.

Sad but true.

13 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

😂😂😂 It’s funny cause it’s true. Well, sorta true anyway. Rap and the supporting tech were in their infancy back then. Today‘s hip hop “artists” had all of that history to lean on and are producing verbal papp. Have this fool call me when an artist from today drops social commentary like Poor Righteous Teachers, TuPac, Talib Kweli, Graydon Square, Lauren HIll/Wyclef, or Goody Mob; sick flow and rhyming structure like Eric B. & Rakim or Slick Rick, the cleverest lyrics and turns of phrase like MF Doom, Eminem, Kanye (before he went full-on crazy) and Busta Rhymes; and on and on. There were too many really, really talented artists to name them all, not to mention the also-rans most of whom had more talent than today’s rap hacks. Oh and by the way, your submissions may not employ overly repetitive lyrics, autotune or be backed solely by weak-assed beats picked up for $3.00 on beatstars. I think your list is gon’ be kinda short. j/s🙂

In fairness, I think there are some recent artists that are legit, talented, and actually care about their craft like Kendrick Lamar, Childish Gambino and a few others. However, 95% of the so-called rap today is made up of the same 12 lyrics repeated ad nauseam backed by a simplistic, lame beat for which the only requirements are bass deep enough and loud enough to drown out the autotune and weak lyrics. Other than that, today’s hip hop blows that old stuff out of the water.

Edited by The Sisko
  • Like 1

Gave you my old-guy like there, Sisko. My wife listens to new stuff, and the big thing I get hung up on is that so many of the current artists PHRASE the same way. I like some damn idiosyncrasy in my rhymes, dammit.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Is this really a Kanye West album?  Or is it a compilation of a lot of rappers/artists that are featuring Kanye every so often?

Lots of collabs but that's the game now. Not feeling this one. Skipped the last album. Don't think I'll be coming back to this one much.

13 hours ago, Cooked Crack said:

Lots of collabs but that's the game now. Not feeling this one. Skipped the last album. Don't think I'll be coming back to this one much.

I guess it is...I dunno, I don't want to listen to a Kanye album to listen to other rappers.  I want to hear Kanye, I like his raps, usually.  

I didn't make it past the first few songs on this one.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...