Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Pentagon buries evidence of $125 billion in bureaucratic waste

Springfield

2 hours ago, tshile said:

Based on my experiences, I'm not surprised.

Total up other large fed govt budgets, and major localities, and I be the numbe would make a look of people at least think about whether they had a pitchfork already, or if they needed to stop by home Depot 

I also bet the 'cost' to the system to purge it of waste would be so high, in unemployment and lost private sector 'growth, that it'd be a legitimate question if it was good or bad to proceed with the purge...

Being originally from NOVA, that's a legit concern.  I want to say "Oh, but that's money being taken out of the economy".  But as much as some of these execs are making and fighter jets we have that can't fly because of issues, is it really?

Tell me where this report was specific on "where the waste was"?  They identified the number of employees who weren't on the "front lines"... so does that mean someone needs to be in Iraq to support Iraq or near China (in Japan) to support the Navy?  It is a BS report and pretty much tracked with all the things Republicans want to do. 

Either way, I may or not be able to tell you what happens.  Defense Department Budget is divided between Navy, Marine Corps, Army, and Air Force.  These Departments further fan out their money to different pots of the pie and people are in charge of their money.  I.e. Air Force fighter program has a guy (military guy and civilian) in charge of that program and the funding.  They send their money to acquistion and logistics types folks who design/build/support the programs, work with the warfighters on existing fighters.  If any of these guys are unhappy with the use of their money, they are responsible for the oversight of "waste, fraud, abuse" -- and I bet dollars to donuts that these guys all know for the most part how their piece of the pie is spent and are happy with it. 

Under Bush II we may or may not have had to give more work to industry because "we need to increase their profit" -- there are probably DAB reports on this -- it is called "supporting the industrial base" -- although public is also part of "industrial base".    Washington Post didn't report government intentionally directed funding to private industry solely to ensure private industry was more profitable....

... and I am a bit defensive.  I know the flipside is that the guys who are given the money have all intents of using all the money.  There is no incentive for the Air Force Guy with the fighter (military and civilian) to return funds to Congress (and ultimately it would get returned through a couple of people).  All the people would yell at him and say "Why didn't you spend all our money this year?!  We need to make sure the funding gets spent! 

So yes - I agree there is waste - and there is no incentive to really dive deep and identify the wastes.  The DoD is set up to spend the money Congress gives it (ie. from top to bottom all the guys with money want their money spent). 

See Defense Sequestration of 2013 if you want to know how Congress feels when even a bit of that money is cut... I would bet the savings is more like $40B over 5 years rather than $125B over 5 years... and again, some of the IT stuff is sketchy ... DoD information on the cloud... ridiculous. 

28 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Being originally from NOVA, that's a legit concern.  I want to say "Oh, but that's money being taken out of the economy".  But as much as some of these execs are making and fighter jets we have that can't fly because of issues, is it really?

I don't know. What else would those people be doing?

Are there jobs for them? What do they pay? What's the net return to the government, where does it go?

All I have are questions

Sounds like conspiracy to commit fraud to me,  I hope those in charge are found and tried,  Of course they won't be.  This is the same waste that has us spending 3 Billion+ on Air Force Ones, while the Air Force itself is scavenging for parts off 40 year old decommissioned aircraft.  

The report doesn't really surprise me.  $125B over 5 years means 25B/year out of the budget north of 500M.  Redundancies and waste occur in everything big, public and private.  Some of it is more or less natural and hard to root out and stop, some of it is easier to fix.

My disappointment is in their covering it up.  The stuff that can be fixed somewhat easily gets buried and nothing is done, and to defend it, they act as though every bit of waste and redundancy is deeply rooted and inefficient to extricate, which likely isn't the case.

Either way, the report is out there now.  Hopefully some measures can be taken.  They don't have to save 25B a year, but if they can work their way up to, say, 10B a year in 5 years, they can maybe create a blueprint for everywhere else to help slim the budget a bit.

14 hours ago, FanboyOf91 said:

And that's how we got the F-35, kids.

The Air Force is ridiculous... they scrapped 30% of their enlisted force to pay for the F-22 and it was really never commissioned as the fighter.

That said, in regards to early retirement - If you offered me 35% at 15 years I'd probably take it.

Archived