Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

U.S. Congress Part 116

thebluefood

What is everyone's thoughts on the people not going to the SOTU?  I'm curious.

I personally am against them not going as some form of protest or whatever.  POTUS is responsible for delivering SOTU to Congress.  If they want to hear it or not, want to protest or not, etc I believe it is there job to be there and listen.  I'm not saying they must clap or enjoy it, but they should be there.  It is part of what they were elected to do.  

I don't know if they GOP has done it but if they had, I disagree with it also (before someone asks/accuses). 

Thoughts? 

2 minutes ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

What is everyone's thoughts on the people not going to the SOTU?  I'm curious.

I personally am against them not going as some form of protest or whatever.  POTUS is responsible for delivering SOTU to Congress.  If they want to hear it or not, want to protest or not, etc I believe it is there job to be there and listen.  I'm not saying they must clap or enjoy it, but they should be there.  It is part of what they were elected to do.  

I don't know if they GOP has done it but if they had, I disagree with it also (before someone asks/accuses). 

Thoughts? 

I think they should all go and then walk out mid speech.   :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, visionary said:

LOL, he was a pretty popular name a few years back in Republican circles, though I can't recall why.

He used to be RNC Chair so he was in the news a lot.

3 hours ago, TheGreatBuzz said:

It is part of what they were elected to do

The Constitution doesn't mandate the President do it with a speech. Jefferson, I think, did it with a letter. They could easily fulfill their responsibility by reading a transcript later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, visionary said:

"I have decided, for no reason whatsoever, that now is a very good time for me to leave a profession where I have to run for election as a Republican, and instead seek a position in which I shall receive a lifetime position of being a Republican (while I can still get it)."  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

10 years after financial crisis, Senate prepares to roll back banking rules

The Senate is preparing to scale back the sweeping banking regulations passed after the 2008 financial crisis, with more than a dozen Democrats ready to give Republicans the votes they need to weaken one of President Barack Obama’s largest legislative achievements.

Congress’s appetite for pulling back bank regulations shows the renewed clout of the financial sector in Washington, not just in the GOP but also among Democrats. Eight years after nearly every Senate Democrat backed a sweeping set of new rules for financial firms large and small, the party is now split, with moderates, several of them facing tough midterm election contests, working with the opposing party.

The core of the new bill exempts about two dozen financial companies with assets between $50 billion and $250 billion from the highest levels of scrutiny by the Federal Reserve, the nation’s central bank. Supporters argue that the legislation would bring much-needed relief to midsize and regional banks that were treated like their much larger counterparts under the 2010 legislation known as Dodd-Frank. Opponents say it would weaken the oversight needed to stave off the type of dangerous lending and investing that brought the U.S. economy to its knees.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/10-years-after-financial-crisis-senate-prepares-to-roll-back-banking-rules/2018/03/04/e6115438-1e37-11e8-9de1-147dd2df3829_story.html?utm_term=.f1dab2371e6d

• Haha 1