Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

More on Armstead/Trotter

StevieInferior

From an Insider Article on CPND:

Yes, the stories are true about the Redskins and their linebackers. If middle backer Jeremiah Trotter's play doesn't improve in the next six weeks, he'd be a strong possibility for a cap cut. The same apparently holds true for Jessie Armstead, though we're not sure why. He's not the problem.

We also heard that the linebackers, as well as coordinator George Edwards, were upset with coach Steve Spurrier when they read this, thinking the leak came from him. But it didn't. That's a front office leak and once the players and coach realized that, all was well again -- at least on that side of the building..

Great job FO...it's a great idea to threaten your players in public.

Sorry if the title of my thread ticked som of you guys off

Originally posted by jbooma

I don't undertand the logic here, Trotter is just now almost up to a year ago from his surgery. Normally that procedure takes a year to heal. We need to get people who understand football and fast :(

Booma-

I think Trotter's problem is mental, not physical.

Someone needs to have said it. I wish Edwards and Spurrier would tell these LBs that if you do not play your assignment, ie no free lancing, you will find your a$$ buried on the depth chart. These guys blowing off their assignment has costs the team some big opportunities.

My bet is that if Jeremiah Trotter is let go, we will be seeing him cause havoc for some other club, and we will be left to scratch our head and say "why didn't he do that for us?" Now, granted, I haven't been the biggest fan of our backers this season and have been critical of Trotter in particular, but the fact of the matter is that our LBs are playing being a disgraceful d line. In Trotter's case, the fact that he's coming off surgery doesn't help. I think we are underestimating Trotter and Armstead, myself included. Put two less experienced backers in our lineup and even more weaknesses are exposed in our defense.

Well I haven't seen most of the Redskins games on TV, but from what I read, Armstead won the Atlanta game with his sack and safety.

On the other hand, LaVar cost us the Giants game in OT when he blitzed and didn't cover their fullback on their last drive.

Trotter cost us the Carolina game when he blitzed and didn't cover Stephen Davis on that 4th and 1.

What I don't understand is why George Edwards has given the players the option of deciding when THEY want to blitz. As I recall when Richie Petitbon was the DC, HE decided on which players were to blitz on any given play. :rolleyes:

You bring up a good point Inmate. Personally, I feel that coaching has as much to do with our complaining towards our LBs as anything else. Marvin seemed to make these guys play a much more disciplined style. I don't remember them being caught out of position as much a year ago as we are seeing this year. Fact of the matter is that this team has alot of great individual talents that aren't being harnessed properly. Why is it that Trotter can look so good with the Eagles, and then he comes here and is nothing more than average?

They only let them freelance because that's what Arrington wants to do.

It's almost like, what Lavar wants, Lavar gets.

He cried all last year about Marvin making him line up at DE, he cried about not being able to freelance under Ray Rhodes, I don't remember him crying when Shotty was our D- Cordinator ( but I could be wrong)

I think Edwards needs to lay the law down and tell these backers to stop freelancing, stay in position, or be out of a postition. Quit trying to be a players coach and do what needs to be done to win!

Keep Trotter everyone should keep in mind that it takes a year to HEAL from ACL surgery, but to recover from that injury it takes about 18 months to get back the quickness and explosiveness he had in Philly. Santana Moss is one who comes to mind, who tore his ACL in his rookie year and had a slow 2nd and looks as if his explosiveness has returned.

I think it's just the organization blowing off steam about being beaten seveal times this year by the selfish freelancing of the LB corp. All three have done it, Trotter vs. Carolina, Lavar vs. T.B & N.Y, and Armstead vs. Falcons. As you can see, it's a perception that it's o.k. to shuck your responsibity if you think you can make a highlight reel play. That's coaching. I'm not one of those who believe Edwards should be fired...... I do however think he should be grabbing the facemasks of the three above and telling them enough is enough.

If this rumor is true and the FO leaked it, then this team is more screwed than I realized. Cutting those 2 would be almost as stupid as leaking that they're thinking about it.:doh:

I've seen every minute of every game and been to 2 of them, and I can tell you that Trotter and Armstead are not why this defense blows. Trotter has gotten badly burnt on some gambles, but how else are we ever going to pressure the qb? You can say he lost the Carolina game with the blown coverage on Davis, but you could also say we lost the game on a goaline fumble, a td that should have been a fumble, 2 blown easy td passes, or a missed FG. Our tackles suck, which make a MLB's life very difficult. Wait and see what happens if Trotter gets hurt or benched and Mitchell gets in there. And Armstead, well he's played consistently well. He's not the big playmaker anymore, although that safety was awesome, but that's what we have Lavar for. If one of the young guys beats him out for the starter spot next year then great, but he'd still be great to have around as a back up and vet leader. I think his salary is low anyway so why not keep him? This is just stupid, I hope it's not true.

Guys, Shyt has been leaking from our FO from the beginning of the season when word got out the Wuerful & Watson were going to be cut.. This only adds fuel to fire that burns in this organization...... This whole Spurrier thing stinks !!!!!!!!!!!!! And according to a few of my inside sources, if thyis shyt doesn't turn around, quite a few players are not going to bite their tongues after the season ends. !!!!!!!!!

There was a reason the Beagles and Midgets let Trotter and Armstead go in FA and it's haunting us now. They make tackles, sure but down the field. Trotter was horrible last year BEFORE his injury. Armstead was better last year but hes crossed the line into Geezerland...

Kudos to the FO for stumbling on the obvious ...

this is beginning to feel more and more like 2000 when the two headed hydra of the Danny and Norval, with recriminations going back and forth and people in the media and fans trying to discern exactly WHO is responsible for the mess :(

ever hear that old refrain about voting.........throw ALL the bums out? :)

again, my wish list for the Redskins:

1. New owner

2. GM

3. New head coach

4. Lots of disinfectant

The Eagles let Trotter walk because he wouldnt play his assignments and he had a degenerative knee condition. There is a reason the no teams were even interested in giving up a mid round pick for Trotter after Philly franchised him.

This is not something new for Trotter and it isnt Edwards that caused it.

As for Armstead, he is average now and in decline.

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Well I haven't seen most of the Redskins games on TV, but from what I read, Armstead won the Atlanta game with his sack and safety.

On the other hand, LaVar cost us the Giants game in OT when he blitzed and didn't cover their fullback on their last drive.

Trotter cost us the Carolina game when he blitzed and didn't cover Stephen Davis on that 4th and 1.

What I don't understand is why George Edwards has given the players the option of deciding when THEY want to blitz. As I recall when Richie Petitbon was the DC, HE decided on which players were to blitz on any given play. :rolleyes:

True true. Couldn't be truer-er-er.:twitch:

Why in the hell would you allow a scheme in which the linebackers are allowed to game in and out call their own blitzes? I do understand that this is what many teams do. They read the offense and make a call. It seems as if the contingencies aren't working though. WHen Trotter or Lavar blitzes, they have to make damn sure that someone is going to pick up their man.........

Archived