Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins vs. Cowboys in Week 2 - History

TD_washingtonredskins

Kleese, my apologies if this is your domain, but I was thinking back to a couple of pretty exciting week 2 matchups with the Cowboys (1991 and 2005). So I decided to go back and see how often we've played Dallas as our second game of the year. Overall, we are 3-3 against them and, oddly, this is the first time since 1960 (their first year in existence) that we'll host them in week 2. 

2006 - A decade ago we came off a surprise playoff run to lose our opener on MNF and turn around to face the Cowboys on a short week (stop if you've heard this before). We went down to Dallas and, outside of a Rock Cartwright KO return for a TD, never really gave them a game. We ended up losing 27-10 in a pretty forgettable performance to drop to 0-2. We beat Houston and Jacksonville to claw back to 2-2 that year, but then limped our way to a 5-11 season. 

2005 - The Midnight Miracle in Big D. This was another putrid offensive game for us. We came off a grinding 9-7 win at home on opening day against Chicago and didn't even do that well through the first 55 minutes of the Monday Night game in Dallas. Our D played pretty well and kept us within arm's reach, but I don't think anyone really expected much. I remember when Brunell hit Moss for a long TD on 4th-and-15, I was just kind of quietly excited that we scored a TD (our first of the season). Parcells got conservative and we held them to get the ball back. I believe it was the first play from scrimmage after taking possession after that when Brunell hit Moss again on a 70-yard bomb to ruin the triplets' induction into the Cowboy Ring of Fame! 

1991 - This was a great measuring stick game for us. We destroyed the Lions to open the season on Sunday Night Football (on TNT back then, I think) and came into the Dallas game knowing that they were going to be a tough team. They were young, but more talented than we were. In fact, in some ways, this was Coach Joe's final win over Dallas when he could feel superior to that team (we beat them again the following year, but it was a very desperate game at RFK that we needed to make the playoffs). Anyway, this game started horribly and I remember being so pissed as a 15-year old watching the first half. We missed tackles on Emmitt allowing him to score and eventually fell behind by 11. We clawed back to only be down 1 at halftime. That's when my parents made me go to bed, so I listened to the rest of the game in bed and quietly celebrated as we wore them down and ultimately won 33-31 (closer than it seemed as Dallas scored a TD late). 

1964 & 1965 - Who could forget these two 6-8 McPeak years? :)Twice in a row, we visited Dallas in week 2 and both times we lost on our way to long losing streaks to start the season. Nothing of note really stands out in either game (unless an old-timer can chime in). Sonny's stats were pretty pedestrian and we scored 25 points combined in the two trips down to Big D. 

1960 - I'm only giving this a separate line because we won and it's the only other time we had the Cowboys in DC in week 2. It's also the first game of the rivalry we know and love. A couple other notes...this was our only win in 1960 (Dallas didn't win a single game). We finished 1-9-2 on the year. 

2005 game i was a freshman in college.  The game was NOT going well and I was drowning my sorrows in cheap beer and listening to my new classmates razz on me for rooting for the Redskins.  By the time the 4th quarter rolled around, every one of them had left or passed out.  Moss' 2 touchdowns went completely unnoticed by everyone except me, and it wasn't until the next morning that I was convinced they really happened, and weren't just the alcoholic hallucinations of a wishful fan trapped in Patriots territory.

Good times. 

I was going to wait til Monday to post these videos since it falls on the day of next Monday, but since it was brought up in here and if we lose Sunday many may not feel like watching these, so here you go...

Game Intro MNF 2005...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57-aaPbaVJU

Sportscenter right after the game and Sportsnite the morning after...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nD0QWsuV89s

I would upload the whole game to Youtube but the NFL will likely bite my head off if I did. 

I will never forget that MNF comeback. I happened to be home alone that night. My girlfriend called me about 5 minutes before the end of the game, and I was ****ing about the team. I had to put the phone down for a sec to grab my umpteenth beer to drown the sorrow. That was when the Mos grabbed that first TD. I started screaming and jumping and freaking out. After I settled down, I heard my girlfriend yelling into the phone I put down. I totally forgot I was talking to her. I grabbed the handset and told her I was ok. We talked for a few and then the second TD came... I still think she has hearing loss in one ear from my yelling after that. That was one to remember. So many emotions wrapped up in so little time.

The next favorite comeback against Dallas was the one where we forced a fumble at the end of the game, Taylor scooped it up and ran back the ball... got facemask penalty with 0:00 on the clock. Game cant end on a penalty so we got the 15 yarder, and long filed goal attempt... and Novak took us home for the win. I still remember me and a bar buddy were the only skins fans at the bar that day... yet somehow we had the entire place (except for the Cowboys fans) all chanting "Novak! Novak! Novak!" That crowd made me feel like we were at the game.

HTTR!

2005 was amazing. I was 17, so I basically stayed up until whenever back in those days when MNF went into the a.m. occasionally.

Yeah it was just 14 pts, but that was the worst half of football I've ever seen, against a team that was Not very good. They could've been up by a fg and you'd  have thought it was impossible. That's how bad it was. Plus they had their triplets ceremony that game too, and it had been so long since we beat them in Texas Stadium that those guys were still playing back then. I was sooooo pissed off (was screaming f bombs everywhere).

Then boom, out of nowhere Brunell hits Santana for a quick 6 and you're like "alright, that was tight, at least it won't be a shutout :mellow:  ". Then we get the ball back again, and I think that was the ridiculous 4th and forever that Brunell channeled his old Jaguar days and converted via scramble. Then the next play he unloaded, and made one of the most perfect throws I've ever seen. And I probably hit my head on the ceiling.

Then the next sequence on D Sean Taylor nearly decapitated on of their receivers (I think it was Patrick Crayton). He hit dude so hard, the way the ball flew out you'd think it was his liver or something. One of the nastiest hits ever. Even John Madden had the "Bah gawd they killed him!" JR voice.

Fun times. Of course the next day at school all the Boys fans said we got lucky, so it was fun when we annihilated them 35-7 (still pissed about that garbage time TD from Julius Jones) later that winter when both teams were in the playoff hunt.

We've largely split with them since then, but before that, we were almost always swept. So to return the favor for the first time in forever, felt pretty damn good

Like others have said, 2005 was a never forget game. I'd recorded the game to watch when I got home from work on the Tuesday and sat through for the most part totally demoralised. At some point midway through the fourth, I'd had it. Started to fast forward to get to the end only to catch the first Moss touchdown. Frantically stopped and rewound to watch the whole drive, then figured maybe I should watch the rest, y'know, just in case. Second Moss touchdown and I'm jumping around the room, punching my fist in the air. Incredulous that for the first time in ages we might just be the ones to come away with an undeserved victory for a change. Sure, the repeat match up at home is the more fun game to watch, both go down in rivalry lore, but this one was arguably the more cathartic. 

2006: We scored no offensive TDs in three divisional road games.

2005: Even after the amazing comeback, there was serious angst about our putrid offense. Skins had a bye after that game and it was like night and day when we returned against Seattle. Offense fairly good until David Patten hurt at Tampa.

1991: Lohmiller had FGs of 53, 52, 45, and 46 yards. What a display.

• 4 months later...

Archived