Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

LA Times: ITT Tech shuts down all its schools; students' loans might be forgiven

GoSkins0721

1 hour ago, Major Harris said:

APUS has moved their base from sterling (i think) to my home town.   They are actively involved in the local education system and are a great asset to our community,  they've bought and fixed up half of downtown lol

Yeah, APUS has its base in Manassas and Charelstown, WV.

I put a lot of good work in at ITT, saved my life.  I didn't understand my options at the time (this needs to be explained better in highschool, imo), but I wanted to go to a technical school.  I wanted to learn how to do things.  I was working full-time by the time I finished my associates. 

There's a need for technical schools, ways people can be educated in a trade and working within a year or two of starting classes.  It should not be that expensive, should never get to the point where private loans are needed to fill gaps, and the resources needed to be used more efficiently in regards to hands-on (started to see it slip away from that after I graduated with my Bachelors).  

I just found out today one of the team leads at my company went to ITT. He was former military, so I think he didn't have to pay much or anything at all. But he's an excellent Systems guy and knows Linux like the back of his hand. I wonder how many alumni of ITT ended up as successful as him though. 

4 minutes ago, Gamebreaker said:

I just found out today one of the team leads at my company went to ITT. He was former military, so I think he didn't have to pay much or anything at all. But he knows he's an excellent Systems guy and knows Linux like the back of his hand. I wonder how many alumni of ITT ended up as successful as him though. 

Not many, but you get out of it what you put into it, my experience.  The people that just showed up didn't stand a chance.

• 2 weeks later...

And the blows keep coming for scam for-profit schools. 

The Obama administration on Thursday terminated the federal recognition of the nation’s largest accreditor of for-profit colleges — a rare move that could ultimately jeopardize the ability of hundreds of schools to access federal student aid.

The decision against the Accrediting Council for Independent Colleges and Schools, which is likely to be appealed, was based on Education Department findings that the organization failed to properly monitor and discipline the colleges it oversees.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/09/for-profit-colleges-accreditor-terminated-recognition-228541

30 minutes ago, No Excuses said:

Like I've mentioned, I'm mixed.  I get on the one hand that this for-profit college thing has been doing a lot of harm.  At the same time, we need technical schools that can have people ready to work by the time they graduate.  It looks like Federal Government is going after all for-profit colleges at the same time, but what's the alternative for this very important niche in our education system?  Are people going to be steered towards community colleges, and are they going to be able to meet that demand?

I don't see why community colleges can't meet that demand for technical schools.   Or all other public and private non-profit colleges.   They will expand if there is a niche to expand into.

As far as I can see, there is nothing unique that a for-profit college provides except, well, profits for its owner.   

46 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Like I've mentioned, I'm mixed.  I get on the one hand that this for-profit college thing has been doing a lot of harm.  At the same time, we need technical schools that can have people ready to work by the time they graduate.  It looks like Federal Government is going after all for-profit colleges at the same time, but what's the alternative for this very important niche in our education system?  Are people going to be steered towards community colleges, and are they going to be able to meet that demand?

For what it's worth, this isn't a blanket targeting of all for-profit schools. But most of them likely just lost their accreditor, which means that they can't bull**** their way around and hustle federal student loan money while functioning as diploma mills. They either get to straighten their act out and get accredited by someone who won't be so friendly to them, or get shut down when their students can no longer qualify for federal aid.

Archived