Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: David Amerson, Raiders agree on four-year extension

Huh...good for him, I guess. I was disappointed when we cut him yet understood why the decision was made.

David Amerson is cashing in on a career year.

The Raiders cornerback signed a four-year extension worth a max value of $38 million with nearly $18 million in guarantees, NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Friday, per a source informed of the situation.

A waiver-wire pickup in 2015, Amerson joined the Raiders after two seasons and two games with the Redskins. The struggling cornerback went on to have a standout season, totaling 53 tackles and career highs in passes defended (35) and interceptions (4).

This vote of confidence by the Raiders' front office is another sign that the organization is optimistic about the state of its defense. Head coach Jack Del Rio spoke highly of Amerson's fellow corner D.J. Hayden in June: "I'm excited about his development. ... As a player, it's never too late. You can redefine yourself, turn the corner and peel labels off that maybe people have for you and create your own. I feel like he's on his way to doing that this year." The same could be said for a rejuvenated Amerson.

[...]The former North Carolina State player was named Pro Football Focus' Most Improved Player in 2015, an award that factors in PFF's production grades throughout the season. The analytics site references that quarterbacks had a 140.2 rating when targeting Amerson in 2014, but in 2015, that number has dropped to 62.7.

The Raiders rewarded him for his improvement handsomely Friday.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000675117/article/david-amerson-raiders-agree-on-fouryear-extension

Not that you are doing this Cali, but we need to stop obsessing over former players. He had a good season, but he's still not elite and gets burnt quite often. I'll take any of our CB's on our current roster over Amerson. No ill will towards him, but he was a lazy player here and we don't need that. Good for him for fleecing the Raiders. Enjoy Mark Davis.

He sure did suck here. I have no idea what happened but good for him. Can I get one point of that $34 point 3 million? Come on David. You'll never miss it.

He just did not fit the scheme here. He's good in man when he can press but ask him to play in zone or off man and he struggles. It was a bad piece of scouting/drafting and/or poor coaching here in not making adjustments to get the best out of him.

He just did not fit the scheme here. He's good in man when he can press but ask him to play in zone or off man and he struggles. It was a bad piece of scouting/drafting and/or poor coaching here in not making adjustments to get the best out of him.

They also said he was lazy in the film room and practice.

His head wasn't on right and he was discouraged.

It'll be interesting to see how he responds after that pay day.

Amerson is Brandon Lloyd 2.0 for me. Nice story if you're a fan of the present team they're on, but extremely frustrating if you're not.

Like Lloyd, he took advantage of his pedigree here and found himself in the doghouse more often than not. I don't particularly care for him now that he got his head on straight after screwing us over. I mean, yay, glad we could help motivate you, ahole.

I'm sure we'll hear down the road, when it's easier to be honest about things, how he "didn't take it seriously" or "wasn't giving it his all" as a Redskin but, once cut, he "realized he had to work hard" and "didn't want to lose the opportunity of playing this game".

Brandon Lloyd 2.0.

I'm sure we'll hear down the road, when it's easier to be honest about things, how he "didn't take it seriously" or "wasn't giving it his all" as a Redskin but, once cut, he "realized he had to work hard" and "didn't want to lose the opportunity of playing this game".

Sometimes it's just that easy.  We used to draft a lot of these guys and he was "boom or bust" when we drafted him.  That's why Scot and friends focus on "football players," they're guys who love the game.  Guys who want to play and want to practice and watch film. 

The games I watched of the Raiders last year (one in the early fall and one on Christmas eve) he was still getting cooked on double-moves and gave up a couple of touchdowns.  But if they're happy with him I am happy.

I haven't lost any sleep over Amerson and I will continue not to.

Yeah, and as much respect as I have for the Raiders new regime and what they're doing... they had a TON of space and had to get to the floor if I'm doing my math right.  This helped them.  They'd also never knee-jerk sell out and spend a ton of money on a fringe corner would they? :lol:

Archived