Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox News, Sexual Harassment, Ailes, O'Reilly, Hannity and minions...

Riggo-toni

‘No One Has Control Over Tucker’: How Fox News Let Its Biggest Star Go Rogue

As Fox News finds itself beset by an internal crisis fueled by Dominion’s $1.6 billion defamation suit, long-simmering tensions between network CEO Suzanne Scott and star host Tucker Carlson have taken center stage.

Carlson, according to sources inside and outside the network who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of retribution, has for years been at odds with Scott, a 26-year Fox News veteran who ascended to the top of the network in the wake of a series of sexual harassment scandals that dethroned Roger Ailes.

Her efforts to maintain control of the network’s often divisive coverage have run up against Carlson’s penchant for courting controversy, his proud disregard for facts, and apparently unconditional backing from Rupert and Lachlan Murdoch, the top executives at Fox News parent company Fox Corporation.

“She’s not the biggest fan of what he does,” an industry source familiar with their relationship said. “But he gets viewers, and that’s why he has a direct relationship with Lachlan and Rupert.”

Carlson, in comments to Mediaite, denied there is any bad blood when asked about a power struggle between him and his boss.

“I strongly support Suzanne and have for a long time, and for what it’s worth, I also like her a lot personally,” he said. “I can’t remember a single conflict with her in seven years. The idea that there’s a ‘power struggle’ between us is absurd. I’m a talk show host. She’s the president of the network. I work for her. It’s pretty straightforward.”

A spokesperson for the Murdochs denied Carlson enjoys any special treatment, calling claims otherwise “absolutely untrue.”

One source with knowledge of the inner workings at Fox pointed out that Carlson’s show has five editorial layers before reaching Scott, including Justin Wells, its senior executive producer, Ron Mitchell, a senior vice president, Meade Cooper, the executive who oversees primetime, Tom Lowell, who was just promoted to oversee all editorial, and Jay Wallace, Fox News president and executive editor.

Yet insiders told Mediaite that Scott and Wallace have no control over what Carlson does between 8 and 9 p.m., one of the most-watched hours in all of television.

“No one has control over Tucker,” one former Fox News veteran told me. “I don’t even know if the Murdochs do.”

That lack of editorial oversight was on display earlier this month when Carlson spent two nights of his prime time show airing bizarre commentary about the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol, which he described as a mostly peaceful sightseeing trip by Trump supporters.

The segment angered members of Fox’s news division at the network who spoke with Mediaite, since it came as Fox was still under constant fire from damning revelations in the Dominion case.

The disapproval inside the network was apparent on air. 

The only segment came from Special Report with anchor Bret Baier, the most-watched news program on Fox. Chad Pergram, a respected congressional correspondent who was present at the Capitol during the attack, delivered a report rebuking some of Carlson’s claims while noting the searing criticism from lawmakers.

There was no top-down mandate to ignore the story, Fox News sources said. In fact, some programs were encouraged to cover it. But shows on the news side simply refused.

I asked Carlson what he made of the rest of the network mostly ignoring his commentary. “I didn’t see it. Not my division,” he said.

Click on the link for the full article

Fox News Fires Producer Abby Grossberg, Citing Dominion Disclosure

Fox News cut ties with Abby Grossberg Friday, Variety has learned, citing disclosure of privileged corporate information, after the booker and producer for such hosts as Tucker Carlson and Maria Bartiromo alleged in court filings earlier this week that she was coerced by executives into providing misleading testimony in the $1.6 billion defamation suit that Dominion Voting Systems has levied against the Fox Corp.-backed outlet.

Grossberg, who had worked as a senior booking producer for Bartiromo and head of booking for Carlson, alleged in filings in Delaware Superior Court and the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York that Fox attorneys worked to “coach, manipulate, and coerce Ms. Grossberg to deliver shaded and/or incomplete answers during her sworn deposition testimony, which answers were clearly to her reputational detriment but greatly benefitted Fox News,” according to her Delaware lawsuit.

On 3/25/2023 at 4:22 PM, China said:

Fox News Fires Producer Abby Grossberg, Citing Dominion Disclosure

Fox News cut ties with Abby Grossberg Friday, Variety has learned, citing disclosure of privileged corporate information, after the booker and producer for such hosts as Tucker Carlson and Maria Bartiromo alleged in court filings earlier this week that she was coerced by executives into providing misleading testimony in the $1.6 billion defamation suit that Dominion Voting Systems has levied against the Fox Corp.-backed outlet.

Grossberg, who had worked as a senior booking producer for Bartiromo and head of booking for Carlson, alleged in filings in Delaware Superior Court and the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York that Fox attorneys worked to “coach, manipulate, and coerce Ms. Grossberg to deliver shaded and/or incomplete answers during her sworn deposition testimony, which answers were clearly to her reputational detriment but greatly benefitted Fox News,” according to her Delaware lawsuit.

Ex-Tucker Carlson producer files new claims Fox News lawyers coached her testimony in Dominion lawsuit

The former Tucker Carlson producer who sued Fox News last week alleging she was pressured into giving misleading testimony about the network’s coverage of supposed election fraud has filed new allegations about coercive coaching by Fox lawyers, bias and unprofessional behavior by staff members, and retaliation by the network.

In papers filed Monday morning, Abby Grossberg seeks to correct the Sept. 14 deposition she gave about the network’s coverage of Dominion Voting Systems, which she says was tainted by pressure from Fox lawyers. Grossberg alleges she was not able to see a transcript of her testimony before it was made part of the record, even though she requested a chance to see it six times, while male colleagues were allowed to see their transcripts. She says she was able to review and correct it only more than five months later, after she retained her own attorneys.

“Based on what I understood and took away from the deposition preparation sessions I had with Fox’s legal team which were coercive and intimidating,” Grossberg said in an unredacted errata sheet filed in Delaware, “I felt that I had to do everything possible to avoid becoming the ‘star witness’ for Dominion or else I would be seriously jeopardizing my career at Fox News and would be subjected to worse terms and conditions of employment than male employees as I understood it.”

Amended complaints Grossberg filed Monday morning in Delaware and New York add claims against Fox News for retaliation and discrimination and provide more details about the alleged actions by Fox lawyers during the deposition prep. Grossberg says in the amended New York complaint that the lawyers wanted her to downplay the importance of ratings in decision-making at Fox and that she felt “pressured to respond with a generic ‘I do not recall’ whenever she had the opportunity, even if she, in fact, did have a recollection, albeit perhaps not a perfect one.”

The amended New York complaint also says Fox attorneys would repeatedly say to Grossberg, "'who really can/does recall anything?'" thereby "fraudulently inducing her to deny facts she knew to exist.” 

Dominion wants Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and other Fox hosts and executives to take the stand at trial

Dominion Voting Systems said in a court filing Monday that it wants to put some of Fox News’ top executives and most well-known hosts on the witness stand when its $1.6 billion defamation case against the right-wing network goes to trial.

Among the network personnel that the voting technology company wants to call as witnesses are Fox News chief executive Suzanne Scott; Fox News President Jay Wallace; hosts Sean Hannity, Tucker Carlson, Maria Bartiromo, Laura Ingraham, and Bret Baier; and former executive Bill Sammon and politics editor Chris Stirewalt.

Dominion also said it wishes to call to the stand Abby Grossberg, the Fox News producer who filed lawsuits against the network last week that alleged network lawyers coerced her into providing misleading testimony.

Dominion’s potential witness list, which is not final and will surely face legal challenges from Fox’s lawyers, is part of the routine process of haggling over witnesses while both sides prepare for trial.

Judge to Fox News: Don't make me 'look like an idiot' over Rupert Murdoch testifying

The Delaware judge overseeing a $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News on Tuesday did not seem to buy the argument that founder Rupert Murdoch was too infirm to testify at trial next month.

The judge told Fox's attorneys not to make him "look like an idiot."

The remarks came at the outset of a pre-trial hearing when Judge Eric M. Davis noted that he previously had received a letter stating that the 92-year-old Murdoch "couldn't travel" to the trial in Delaware because of COVID.

"I also have people telling me that he's done some things recently that [show] he's hardly infirm," Davis said, noting that Murdoch had recently announced his engagement to be married for the fifth time and plans to travel between his homes in Los Angeles, Montana, New York and London.

The exchange was the first of several in which the normally impassive Davis warned Fox attorneys to "be careful."

It also foreshadowed a key contention in the widely watched defamation case brought by Dominion Voting Systems against Fox News: Were top executives, including controlling owner Murdoch, responsible for the broadcasting of baseless election fraud claims in late 2020?

Dominion intends to call not just Murdoch but a long list of Fox executives and stars to the stand. The list includes Murdoch's son Lachlan — the head of Fox News' parent company Fox Corp. — and hosts Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity, Lou Dobbs and Maria Bartiromo.

It also includes Abby Grossberg, a senior producer for Carlson and Bartiromo who was fired last week after she claimed, in her own lawsuit against Fox, that the network was trying to pin the blame for the election-fraud falsehoods on her and other female employees, including Bartiromo.

‘Pretty Much a Crime’: Murdoch Blamed Trump Directly For Jan. 6 Riot in Newly Released Emails

Rupert Murdoch, the chairman of Fox Corporation, wrote to Fox News CEO Suzanne Scott on Jan. 20, 2021 that he believed outgoing President Donald Trump pushing claims that the 2020 election was stolen was “pretty much a crime” that led directly to the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol by a pro-Trump mob seeking to stop the certification of the election.

“The more I think about McConnell’s remarks or complaint the more I agree,” Murdoch wrote, apparently referencing Sen. Mitch McConnell’s (R-KY) strong condemnation of Trump following Jan. 6.

“Trump insisting on the election being stolen and convincing 25% of Americans was a huge disservice to the country. Pretty much a crime. Inevitable it blew up Jan 6th,” Murdoch continued, adding:

Best we don’t mention his name unless essential and certainly don’t support him. We have to respect people of principle and if it comes to the Senate don’t take sides.

I know he is being over demonized, but he brought it on himself.

The bombshell email was made public on Wednesday as it was included in slides presented during a court hearing by lawyers for Dominion Voting Systems, which is suing Fox News for $1.6 billion alleging defamation. The voting technology company alleges the network knowingly aired election lies and conspiracy theories about the 2020 presidential election — falsely implicating Dominion.

Media Matters has obtained a slide deck that Dominion lawyers used at a March 28 hearing in the Fox defamation lawsuit.

In an email, Fox CEO Suzanne Scott responds to Fox's Eric Shawn fact-checking a Trump falsehood: "This has to stop now... this is bad business... the audience is furious and we are just feeding them material."

FsZuOs8XwA0IRyW.jpg

Here's a Maria Bartiromo email from November 7 in which she says that "We have to go to a full on war. They have used all systems to defraud." And adds that "Jared says he doesn't want to hear about any conspiracy theory."

"Raw notes" from a November 7, 2020, pre-interview with Kevin McCarthy for Bartiromo's show have him saying there was no "mass cheat" in the 2020 election

Dominion responds to Fox saying Tucker Carlson "respected" Sidney Powell with texts in which he calls her a "crazy person" and various slurs.

FsZwJ3WXwBATJRo.jpg

• Haha 1

Here’s what Fox News was trying to hide in its Dominion lawsuit redactions

Ten days after the 2020 election, Fox News' so-called Brain Room looked into conspiracy theories that Dominion Voting Systems had rigged the presidential election against Donald Trump.

The fact-checking and research division of the network came back with a clear decision: Those claims were false. But the misinformation went on the air anyway.

Details of the Brain Room's fact-check were revealed Wednesday in newly released slides from a presentation by Dominion, which the company showed at last week's pretrial hearing in its $1.6 billion defamation lawsuit against Fox News and its parent company, Fox Corp. The slides cite internal communications and testimony.

Fox News had redacted the Brain Room findings, but the judge ordered Tuesday that they be made public.

Testimony from Fox’s own executives underscored the importance of the Brain Room’s role in verifying information that goes on the air.

“If the brain room had concluded that the charges were, in fact, false, they never should have been aired, correct?” a Dominion lawyer asked David Clark, Fox News’ senior vice president for weekend news and programming, in a deposition on Oct. 21.

“Yes,” Clark replied.

Fox better settle 'cause it sure seems like they're going to lose otherwise.

Ex-Fox Producer: There Are Secret Rudy Giuliani Recordings About Dominion

Abby Grossberg, the former Tucker Carlson producer accusing Fox News of pressuring her to give false testimony in the Dominion Voting Systems lawsuit, filed amended legal complaints on Tuesday claiming there are secret Fox audio recordings of Rudy Giuliani and other Trump allies.

Grossberg, who is suing the conservative networkfor harassment and a toxic work environment, claims that the behind-the-scenes conversations with Giuliani, former Trump lawyer Sidney Powell and Trump campaign officials featured them admitting they had no evidence to support their Dominion election fraud lies.

29 minutes ago, China said:

Ex-Fox Producer: There Are Secret Rudy Giuliani Recordings About Dominion

Abby Grossberg, the former Tucker Carlson producer accusing Fox News of pressuring her to give false testimony in the Dominion Voting Systems lawsuit, filed amended legal complaints on Tuesday claiming there are secret Fox audio recordings of Rudy Giuliani and other Trump allies.

Grossberg, who is suing the conservative networkfor harassment and a toxic work environment, claims that the behind-the-scenes conversations with Giuliani, former Trump lawyer Sidney Powell and Trump campaign officials featured them admitting they had no evidence to support their Dominion election fraud lies.

Oh we need to hear these. It will be entertaining watching Fox pretend they don't exist and watching the conservatives spin. They will probably say its AI generated by George Soros or something. 

Delaware Superior Court Judge Eric Davis on Wednesday sanctioned Fox News and its parent company, Fox Corp., for withholding evidence in the Dominion defamation suit, and said he's considering further investigation and censure. 

According to a person present in the courtroom, lawyers for Dominion Voting Systems played recordings Fox News producer Abby Grossberg made during 2020, which were not handed over to Dominion's lawyers during discovery. 

Grossberg, a former producer for Fox hosts Maria Bartiromo and Tucker Carlson, has sued Fox News and said her deposition was coerced. In an amended filing Tuesday, she said she had recorded conversations with Rudy Giuliani, Sidney Powell and others. 

The sanction gives Dominion a chance to conduct another deposition, at Fox’s expense.

• Like 2

Judge, Fox attorney clash over TV hosts' testimony in Dominion defamation case

An attorney representing Fox News against Dominion's $1.6 billion defamation suit clashed Tuesday with the judge in the case over how some of the network's biggest stars can be questioned on the witness stand once the trial gets underway next week.

Dominion's lawsuit accuses Fox News of knowingly pushing false conspiracy theories about the voting machine company in the wake of the 2020 election, in order to combat concerns over ratings and viewer retention.

"The hosts are going to make the argument that they didn't make the statements," Fox attorney Dan Webb said during a pre-trial hearing in the case, offering a potential window into how some of Fox's biggest stars may explain some of their broadcasts that Dominion has said were defamatory.

"If you argue that," Judge Eric Davis warned, "I will turn to the jury and say [you are] incorrect."

The disagreement came as a warning to both sides from Judge Davis not to make arguments before the jury that would contradict his previous rulings in the case. Davis, in pre-trial rulings last month, shot down one of Fox's arguments in the case: that they were simply reporting on claims that were undeniably "newsworthy." That defense, the judge wrote, "fail[ed] to shield" Fox from liability.

Davis also ruled on falsity, finding that the statements broadcast about Dominion were, in fact, false.