Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN: REDSKINS MINICAMP PRACTICE REPORT (updateable as we go)

Jumbo

Seriously!?!? London Fletcher comes to mind

Ok...just saw this. To say fletch had a few good years is crazy. He led the league in tackles for how many years? His pass coverage was great, particularly later on at his stint with the skins. He is a HOF MLB in my mind. Oh yea, and he knew the defensive calls better than the DC.

I love London as much as the next guy, but he was no ray Lewis.

And his coverage was awful. Last few years QBs were just lobbing out to the TEs for easy yards.

He could run the D and was a great MLB for us. I wouldn't say he was dominating.

I've been a Redskin fan since 1971 and London was our most dominating MIKE ever. The Pettibon/Allen defense did not really focus on the MIKE.

he probably was our best. He was very good and will probably make the HoF.

He was better all around on the Rams though, which kind of is my point.

The only thing that scares me is our run defense. It was pretty horrid at times last year. We have a lot of talent on the edges and at rushing the passer but if teams are able to line up and run it down our throats that will open up the passing game no matter what. I can certainly see us dialing up the sack numbers on teams we can get out to a lead on and make one dimensional. But a dedicated running team will scare me a bit until we prove we can stop it.

I think guys like Ziggy Hood and Reyes are wildcards that I'm cautiously optimistic will help and that the D-line will get a nice rotation going that can keep guys fresh and get it done in the run game. But I won't be surprised if teams have success running against us again this year. Hopefully this offense, which is clearly not lacking playmaking talent, can consistently light it up this year so we can force teams to be a little more predictable and pass happy in their playcalling because that will obviously play into the strength of our defense - cover corners and great pass rushers on the outside. 

I love London as much as the next guy, but he was no ray Lewis.

And his coverage was awful. Last few years QBs were just lobbing out to the TEs for easy yards.

He could run the D and was a great MLB for us. I wouldn't say he was dominating.

he probably was our best. He was very good and will probably make the HoF.

He was better all around on the Rams though, which kind of is my point.

Ok, Ray Lewis is a first ballot HOF'er and possibly the best MLB to ever play. If this is your only benchmark, then yes you could be right. Lewis was not excellent in coverage, no MLB is. I'm not sure how you watched Fletch, but he was about as dominant a MLB during his time here as existed in the NFL. His coverage skills were better than you give him credit for and better than Ray Lewis. A MLB is not supposed to be dominant in coverage. Fletch lived in the backfield and was a sideline to sideline standout. His understanding of the game surpassed most coaches. It's a huge slight for this lack of recognition. He was spot on when he referred to himself as the Susan Lucci of the NFL!

Like I said. I want a healthy Sean Lee type.

Just about every team besides the Panthers want that...

I love the Compton hype like everyone else, but I'm pretty sure PFF gave him terrible marks last year and ranked him as our worse defensive starter. I like our secondary and I like our OLBs, but the gut of our defense is still a big question mark. But, I'm still going to glass-half-full it because this locker room and team rapport is so much stronger than what it's been for the last decade or two. That kind of stuff has a way of masking any talent deficiencies. 

Just about every team besides the Panthers want that...

I love the Compton hype like everyone else, but I'm pretty sure PFF gave him terrible marks last year and ranked him as our worse defensive starter. I like our secondary and I like our OLBs, but the gut of our defense is still a big question mark. But, I'm still going to glass-half-full it because this locker room and team rapport is so much stronger than what it's been for the last decade or two. That kind of stuff has a way of masking any talent deficiencies. 

Yeah, I think both Compton & Foster were exposed in the GB game. I'm hoping Barry's creative defenses with the addition of Cravens help shore up the middle. Or that both Compton & Foster have improved 

I watched KJarrett at TC last year in Richmond. It was apparent he had "it" and was going to play a role on the defense. He was so quick to close on run plays, passing blockers, & sticking his nose in to make tackles. I'm hoping to see that, and more, from Cravens at camp this year. 

Cravens stats from his sophmore & junior years at USC might be a good indication of the type of player he will be. 

"Cravens totaled 154 tackles, including 32.5 for loss, to go along with 10.5 sacks, five interceptions and 15 pass breakups."

Definitely reasons to be optimistic about the defense this year...

—The Redskins are shifting into a variety of defensive fronts. The rules regarding coverage of practice state that I can’t go into detail on them but I think that fans will be excited to see them when the season starts.

Damn Tandler got me so intrigued when I read that last night. One of the few positions that I've been pessimistic about is the DL, so this is welcome news... whatever it means. 

Have to think 4-3 is a possibility at this point.

We have the line for it.  That also put Kerrigan in the LDE spot and Junior at the RDE spot.

EDIT:  Not sure we have the LBs (at least not the depth)... but Cravens could fit into that mix nicely. 

I've been a Redskin fan since 1971 and London was our most dominating MIKE ever.  The Pettibon/Allen defense did not really focus on the MIKE.

Did Hanburger not play MLB? 

King of the clothesline. Run around his end at your peril.

He and the Mad Stork were instrumental in getting that removed from the game.

Oh he lives down the street from my house in Fredericksburg, I've met him.  I just didn't know which linebacker spot he played.  Always assumed he was MLB.

And fwiw, I wouldn't call Fletcher, as much as I loved him, a dominant MLB.  He was solid, but he never took over a game.  You never had to know where he was... but believe me he knew where you were.

There just aren't that many dominant LBs at a time.  Urlacher, Lewis, Keuchly... those guys are dominant.  I would put Patrick Willis and London Fletcher in the next category (not to sidebar).

That's just a position it's hard to "dominate" because you're responsible for so many other things most of the time.  And it's rare you're given a chance to effect the game yourself.  But if you provide good coverage and tackle well, and force the occasional turnover, in my book you can play as long as you can provide that.

http://www.csnmidatlantic.com/washington-redskins/redskins-te-coach-calls-jordan-reed-most-exciting-player-nfl?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo&yptr=yahoo

Reed focus

Redskins tight end Jordan Reed enjoyed a breakout season in 2015, setting a host of personal and franchise records. But, in the estimation of tight ends coach Wes Phillips, the 25-year-old is just getting started.

“I don’t think he’s hit his ceiling,” Phillips said recently. “For my money, he’s maybe the most exciting player in this league.”

“He does something every day at practice, really, that makes the whole team just say, ‘Wow,’” Phillips added. “And these are NFL guys. These are elite athletes. For him to be able to do that, it really brings a spark to the team. Not only do we get a big play from him, it really gets guys juiced up and ready to go.”

<edit>

“He’s kind of picked up where he left off from last season,” said Phillips, who is entering his third season with the Redskins and is the son of Broncos defensive coordinator Wade Phillips. “He was obviously playing great throughout the season, but especially late in the year. And he’s really just picked up from there. He’s doing a great job on his routes. He’s working very hard in the run game to improve on some areas we’re focused on.”

As Phillips noted, one of Reed’s top priorities this offseason has been improving his blocking. Last season, his performance was uneven in this area. Indeed, six of his 12 penalties were holding fouls and often were the result of poor technique.

<edit>

more at link

I watched KJarrett at TC last year in Richmond. It was apparent he had "it" and was going to play a role on the defense. He was so quick to close on run plays, passing blockers, & sticking his nose in to make tackles. I'm hoping to see that, and more, from Cravens at camp this year. 

Funny you mention him at TC last year.  I was standing in the VIP section "Thanks to my job".  I had never met an active Redskin and it was fan appreciation day.  I was in the front and a lady was behind me talking about how D-Hall had taken her son under his wing and he was really impressing coaches.  Turns out it was Jarrett's mom.  Very nice lady but I remember thinking "yeah this guy wont make it through TC lol".  I didnt get a god look at him on the field but Jarrett was the first "Active" Redskin I ever met.  I remember watching him throughout the season rooting for him soooo hard!  Just an interesting story. 

Archived