Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Better Movie Game

757SeanTaylor21

Good one.... my brain tells me FMJ, but my heart tells me Platoon.  Kubrick is obviously a master of the highest regard and this movie is no different, but I do find it to be his "worst" film of his major career section. Platoon is a bit more hollywood-ish but I actually think the limited nature of Kubrick needing to film everything in GB worked against the 2nd half of FMJ too much... there just wasn't enough of a feeling of "vietnam war" going on.  Feels too synthetic during the war scenes without the positives or irony that sometimes plasticity can bring, which is what has always held back this one compared to Kubrick's other major works.

Also, Stone's is an original screenplay while Kubrick's was adapted which gives it some more points too.  I'll take Platoon.

-----------

Also - I went through some of the previous ones and just want to comment on a certain few:

Terminator 2 vs. Aliens - Terminator 2 is probably the best action movie of all time, just enough of certain things, but nothing goes too far, with a grand story and outcome. Aliens hasn't aged very well in my opinion, newt and all the trickle down of her inclusion ruins the movie when compared to the perfection of T2, not to mention other flaws. But luckily James Cameron made the action epic he wanted with T2. 

Rambo vs. The Terminator - Rambo actually ages incredibly well given the circumstance of how Rambo's journey begins being essentially arbitrary police aggression snowballing, while Terminator will forever be the movie that is tainted by stop motion CG for a movie entirely predicated on having an intimidating indestructible villian. Terminator is great otherwise but that's enough for Rambo to win this one IMO.  Terminator BTW is a rare film that I'd wish they'd re-open and re-do the CG.

Shawshank Redemption vs. Schindler's List - the final scene of Schindlers List where all the families descended from those saved by Schindler paying homage to his grave is probably the best final "scene" in a hollywood film of all time.  Absolute perfect centerpiece and I couldn't imagine the film without it.  It essentially gives Schindler's List credibility as a moving monument.  Shawshank is "just" a forever rewatchable classic and probably the more "memorable" film.  Shawshank's final scenes are incredible as well. 

------------

Wall Street vs. Wolf of Wall Street? lol

Full Metal Jacket.

To return to some previous ones:

Full Metal Jacket over Platoon too.

Dawn of the Dead from 78 is a cult classic. The one from 04 is just sad and irrelevant.

And when you guys say Rambo, you mean First Blood right? It's a classic, and it does hold up, but I have to go with Terminator over that one. Terminator is a seminal film from the 80's.

Vertigo over Chinatown too. Chinatown is one of the greatest movies of its decade and is, unquestionably, a masterpiece. But Vertigo is the masterpiece of the GOAT filmmaker.

Also the answer to Raising Arizona vs Big LeBowski is Big Lebowski. The answer to Fargo vs Big LeBowski is Big Lebowski. The answer to any question vs Big LeBowski is Big Lebowski.

And the real True Grit is the film from 2010. It chode slaps the one from 1969. It actually did the book justice.

---------

Ip Man vs Ong Bak?

Kickboxer or Bloodsport.

Fast Times At Ridgemont High or Dazed & Confused

Clueless or Can't Hardly Wait

The Naked Gun or Airplane

No Country for Old Men or There Will Be Blood

Good ones.

1 - Bloodsport

2 - Dazed & Confused

3 - Cluelesss. Jennifer Love Hewitt's boob game was on point in Can't Hardly Wait though.

4 - Push. Impossible choice.

5 - No Country for Old Men. Probably my favorite movie. The film is note perfect and does justice to the work of one of the greatest stylists in the history of American Letters.

I've never heard of IP Man or Ong Back. Guess I'm old....

Ip Man is a modern classic that is a big part of the revival of Hong Kong cinema, which had pretty much been moribund since the mid 90's. Stars Donnie Yen. Soaring themes of Chinese Nationalism. He kicks an unbelievable amount of ass in it.

Ong Bak introduced Tony Jaa. Thai film. Popularized the martial arts without wires movement in South East Asian film for broader Western audiences. The athleticism that Jaa demonstrates in the film rivals Bruce Lee and Jackie Chan in their prime.

I think both are on Netflix. Watch them if you like incredible martial arts choreography.

Daredevil or Green Lantern. You have to pick one. :lol:

Daredevil.   :wacko:

Glory or LOTM

The Raid or The Raid 2

Raid.  

Daredevil or Green Lantern. You have to pick one. :lol:

I hate you for making us do this.  

Daredevil.

Glory and wow Steve that is a hard one between ip man vs ong bak. I love Tony jaa especially in ong bak 2 and 3..that drunken master was incredible. I'd have to say ip man because that was the story of wing chun...had a fantastic story behind it and he whips a lot of rear end.

Deadpool vs kick ass

Glory and wow Steve that is a hard one between ip man vs ong bak. I love Tony jaa especially in ong bak 2 and 3..that drunken master was incredible. I'd have to say ip man because that was the story of wing chun...had a fantastic story behind it and he whips a lot of rear end.

Deadpool vs kick ass

Deadpool

Capt. America vs. Iron Man

The Great Escape or The Magnificent Seven?

I gotta go Great Escape.  Both movies were loaded with bad asses, but TGE's cast was just too strong.  And speaking of memorable scores, Great Escape's was pretty strong too.  It played every time Steve McQ got sent to the cooler LOL.  

Usual Suspects or Reservoir Dogs

I gotta go Great Escape. Both movies were loaded with bad asses, but TGE's cast was just too strong. And speaking of memorable scores, Great Escape's was pretty strong too. It played every time Steve McQ got sent to the cooler LOL.

Usual Suspects or Reservoir Dogs

Reservoir Dogs

Boondocks Saints or Crank

Archived