Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CSN.com: THE REDSKINS HAVE AN OFFICIAL STARTING DATE FOR TRAINING CAMP (M.E.T.)

Twelfth man

July 27th is the start date according to the following article; hopefully we line-up a partner team to train with us:

http://origin-prod.csnma.nbcsports.com/washington-redskins/redskins-have-official-starting-date-training-camp

Alright... let me start that over.

Who would you want to practice against?

It seems like that's the en vogue thing to do now.  Most teams buddied up last year with someone.

Who would you want to practice against?

In terms of who I would like the Redskins to practice against, I would go with a well-run AFC opponent:

New England -- came recently so don't think they will come

Pittsburgh -- playing this season so probably not

Denver -- why not the Super Bowl champs

Other possibilities:

Cincinnati -- playing this season so probably not

New York Jets -- could be a good fit for 2016

Kansas City -- could be a good fit 2016

Tennessee -- less desirable but close

Jacksonville -- less desirable but close

Miami -- less desirable but somewhat close

I think the Redskins management and coaching staff seem to want to do it which is why I am favor of it.  Also, I believe it's an opportunity to learn from good organizations and it can add a competitive dimension to scrimmages that can help.

I would actually love it if we practiced against Jacksonville.  Alot of young talent and an up and coming defense would be perfect for the offseason to help whip our offense into shape and let us experiment.  

They're not the most disciplined team by any stretch, but for the middle of the offseason, going up against a bunch of super athletic raw talent prospects will definitley get our guys in good physical shape.  Seems like were trying to get younger too and the Jags are definitley a young team as well.  A more talented team may not go all out during these outings if they are full of established players who have assured roster spots, and I know I'd rather see guys flying around trying to make a name for themselves than someone like Ben Roethlisburger just going through the motions in the same offense.  I don't think that would be as beneficial for us.

Also, the Jags always have high rated draft picks from the last few years and it would be a fun comparison for the fans to watch.  Seeing how our lower "ranked" guys stack up with the higher rated prospects from the draft could be fun to see just how good Scott's eye for hidden gems really is.

That, combined with the relatively low profile, low drama of the Jags organization, would ensure that any storylines coming out of there would be totally football centric.  As a fan I would love that. 

In terms of who I would like the Redskins to practice against, I would go with a well-run AFC opponent:

New England -- came recently so don't think they will come

New England is already paired up with the Bears this year for practices....

• 2 weeks later...
Thought maybe some out of town visitors might be interested in this. Maybe not, but I'll post it just in case. The Richmond Jazz Festival will be going on Aug. 11th-14th. The exact schedule isn't out yet, but they just released a list with artists by days. Saturday and Sunday are the big days at Maymont. Tickets are pricey, $85 for a day or $160 for both days.

Saturday, August 13th

Doors open at 11am | Performances begin at Noon

Herbie Han****

Wyclef Jean

Esperanza Spalding

Vanessa Williams

Ramsey Lewis

Loston Harris

Diane Schuur

Stephanie Mills

Buckwheat Zydeco

Arrested Development

Lucky Chops

Tome Browne & Jean Carne

BADBADNOTGOOD

Sunday, August 14th

Doors open at 11am | Performances begin at Noon

The Roots

Al Jarreau

Michael Franks

Morris Day and The Time

Freddy Cole

Sonny Fortune

Jonathan Butler & Gerald Albright

Tamia

Plunky & Oneness

Sasha Masakowski

Grace Kelly

Ramsey Lewis

Panthers are another good option...except i'm not so sure that a team you're playing against in the season will want to schedule joint practices, no?

I could very well be wrong here....

I may be remembering it incorrectly. But didnt we play New England the year we practiced against them. The beat by like 50 points of something that year.

Not sure...i know we practiced against them 2 years ago, & played vs the AFC South, & then Houston last year, while we played vs the AFC East. Maybe that trend was bucked over 4 years ago? Or not. Don't remember anyone doing it lately though.

I may be remembering it incorrectly. But didnt we play New England the year we practiced against them. The beat by like 50 points of something that year.

It was Jay grudens first year which was 2014 season. We didn't play them that season. We play the AFC East every 4 seasons, and we played them in 2011 (almost beat them with Rex as QB, Brandon banks threw a TD in that game off a trick play) so 4 years later would be 2015 (this past season) where we lost on November 8th.

As for the Texans, we played them week 1 of grudens first year, then practiced against them this past training camp.

Archived