Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Big Contracts, the Draft and the Scottie way

CommDownMan

So in multiple threads there has been talk of Cousins money, Norman's contract...

I know many teams like the Packers sign there own, don't do FA, and don't have contracts like 15 mill to a CB.

In Vinny years we signed a lot of players that didn't work out.  Not putting names here, you all know about it.  Many were cut early and led to a lot of dead money.  We constantly needed to extend guys, do push money into future years.  I don't see a lot on historical dead money, but here is an article from early Synder years.  One year we had nearly 15% of the cap dedicated to players we no longer had!

But as we get used to how SM wants to work, they team is doing well with contracts which helps (Cully won't be a big dead money hit), but he also wants to add/select 8-10 draft picks each year.  These contracts are 4 year deals (potentially 5 for first).  If he averages about 9 players a year, that's a rotation of 36 players. 

Using this link, I will make a draft to draft average:  Using the Rams pick (~15) each round to be generic (better numbers when when win the SB every year :))

1st: 2.2mill, 2nd: 980K, 3rd: 647K, 4th: 595K, 5th: 510K, 6th: 484K, 7th: 469K

Total- 5.885mill, add in a 3rd/4th added each year (7.127 mill)

Over 4 years, we have 36 players at a cost of 28.508 mill.  (This doesn't factor draft picks/min salary increases, but cap goes up, so I'm ignoring for this post).

That leaves 17 players that need to be on roster to hit 53.  This year the cap is 161.4 million.  And the Redskins have 5.2 million in dead money (2.5 to Culliver so far next year), leaving about 156.2 million for player salary this year. 

156.2 current cap - 28.508 if we had been a good drafting team the last 4 years, would leave 127.692 million to spend.  That's an average of 7.5 million for all remaining players.

But wait, there's more...

Toler 680K, Terence Garvin 750K, Tress Way 850K (P will never be 7.5 million).  There are always role players that can be had in the less than 1 mill range.  There will also be players like Gilette 1.1 mill or even Pot Roast 4 mill prove it deals.  Find 10 role players at the average 3 million mark, there will be 97 million for 7 players (or a 13.9 million per player).

There are assumptions in here, but solid drafting makes things easier.  Re-signing your own guys you know can play in your system with reduce the number of players cut eating up dead money.  SM approach allows us to sign Cousins, Norman, Reed and others and just keep on rolling. 

I love where this team is going and am excited by the approach that I think they are taking.

Interesting perspective. You mean he has a three pronged plan? Short, mid and long term, Getta outta here with that common sense stuff. hahaa

I rarely post a new topic, because I don't want to mess with possible bans.  Today, I needed to yell out some common sense before I popped.  Haha.

I probably ought to point out that while Scot is the GM, it's President Bruce Allen that is really involved in the contracts and caps stuff. He might not be a great talent guy, but he knows how to work the numbers. Give the man his due as well. :)

I probably out to point out that while Scot is the GM, it's President Bruce Allen that is really involved in the contracts and caps stuff. He might not be a great talent guy, but he knows how to work the numbers. Give the man his due as well. :)

Well, it works when Scot drafts well, but ok.  Bruce too. 

I rarely post a new topic, because I don't want to mess with possible bans.

You've been a member here for ten years so I'm not sure why you think starting a new, thought out thread like this would lead to a possible ban.

You've been a member here for ten years so I'm not sure why you think starting a new, thought out thread like this would lead to a possible ban.

Well, you've obviously never woken up sweating and gasping for air after a Ban Hammer nightmare.

It's like Catholic guilt at this point... it's just built in, lol. :)

I probably out to point out that while Scot is the GM, it's President Bruce Allen that is really involved in the contracts and caps stuff. He might not be a great talent guy, but he knows how to work the numbers. Give the man his due as well. :)

The thread is about what Bruce Allen has done when you really look at it.  Bruce hired Scot, so this is Bruce Allen's work, and the contract changes happened before Scot.

I love when I hear fans (no one in this thread has) trash Bruce, but praise Scot...and how about the man who hired Bruce?  Can we start to admit that Dan Snyder is doing this right?  It seems like for the 1st time everyone has a role like a traditional NFL team, and he had to agree to that.

I started this one, cause I figured I was good.  I just meant it was the reason for rarely doing it ;)

Well, you've obviously never woken up sweating and gasping for air after a Ban Hammer nightmare.

It's like Catholic guilt at this point... it's just built in, lol. :)

I got a ban for being dumb once, posting an article way late.  I think about Jammal Brown being acquired in a trade.  I was about 10 days late since I had traveled and the thread was pushed to page 2. 

So I got the message, don't be dumb and now I think about 10 times over before I start a thread.  Haha.

The thread is about what Bruce Allen has done when you really look at it.  Bruce hired Scot, so this is Bruce Allen's work, and the contract changes happened before Scot.

I love when I hear fans (no one in this thread has) trash Bruce, but praise Scot...and how about the man who hired Bruce?  Can we start to admit that Dan Snyder is doing this right?  It seems like for the 1st time everyone has a role like a traditional NFL team, and he had to agree to that.

Well, it's definitely a front office topic either way.  Drafting more players and better players helps this method work.  We are also a better team with both SM and BA making decisions over Synder.  Not to mention taking egos out of the mix.

My main point, was people need to relax when it comes to big contracts.  Spending money isn't the issue, it's how the skins of old did it.

Yes, the team needs to be smart about it, but we can handle 5-10 contracts that are 10+ million per year.  Having Cousins, Reed, Norman, Gilette to go with Trent Williams, Kerrigan is not only possible, it is fairly simple to pull off.  The key to continuing is draft well and get players that fit the system (ie pay your own that play well, far more often than hiring mercenaries).  Keep the dead money low and don't restructure to save a few bucks now, and shoot yourself in the foot for the future.

There were many times in the past, we would have posters joke/comment we weren't in cap hell because we wiggled enough cap space to sign _____.  To me we crushed our depth and the second _____ was hurt or sucked, we were screwed.  Win or lose, I love this current process and know that even if we regress next year, that continuing this process we have a recipe for a lot more winning season in the future.  Considering the joke that we've been at times, even a bunch of 8-8 to 10-6 seasons with a few playoff victories would make me happy.  Obviously, I want more, but I'll take the progress.

I think it is Eric Schaffer that is pulling the magic off on the contracts. 

https://www.wcl.american.edu/secle/founders/2015/20150409a.cfm

Behind The Scenes Of A NFL Front Office With Eric Schaffer, Washington Redskins’ V.P. of Football Admin./General Counsel   Thursday, April 09, 2015

12:00 PM - 1:00 PM

American University Washington College of Law

4801 Massachusetts Avenue, NW, Washington, DC Room 603 

Join the Sports & Entertainment Law Society to hear about what goes on behind the scenes in a NFL front office with Eric Schaffer, the Washington Redskins’ Vice President of Football Administration and General Counsel. Mr. Schaffer has worked with the Redskins for thirteen seasons and will discuss his role with the Club, his experiences in a NFL front office, and his career.

As Vice President of Football Administration, Mr. Schaffer is the Club’s chief contract negotiator and responsible for strategic planning, management, and the salary cap. Mr. Schaffer also conducts extensive research and analysis of NFL player contracts and evaluates roster composition throughout the League. As General Counsel, Mr. Schaffer advises the Redskins on all legal matters and oversees sponsorship, licensing, vendor, and employment agreements.

Scot says who to sign

Schaeffer does the contracts

Bruce holds it all together

Dan cheers them on

that idea has lost a lot of steam.

Sounds like a functional franchise. What a concept. Took Dan a few years to realize this was a business that needed a structured process for operating. What's next? Food and Beverage? 

Sounds like a functional franchise. What a concept. Took Dan a few years to realize this was a business that needed a structured process for operating. What's next? Food and Beverage?

I think the stale pretzels are a steal at $8 a pop and seriously, where else can you get a canbottle of bud light for $10?

I just daydreamed a terrible world... The Redskins without Scot McCloughan. After 20 years of nonsense, I don't know if our optimism would ever be as honest again

When does his contract expire? If we continue turning it around we likely will find ourselves in a bidding war for him at that point. No cap space issues on GMs just better hope that Snyder sees him as important as a Josh Norman to our success

Archived