Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Guardian: Timmy Smith: the rise, fall and rise of the Super Bowl’s most mysterious legend

Switchgear

If I remember correctly, Smith was getting the majority of the carries against Chicgo and the Vikings, the two games before the Super Bowl. Really not a shocker that Gibbs started him.

He got most of the atts. against Chicago since Rogers was a little dinged up. Att were split against Minn. Rogers was the still very much expected to be the starter. It was totally a surprise for Smith to be the named SB starter: Joe Gibbs Doug Williams and Timmy Smith himself. That is really the whole point of the article.

Saturday afternoon I was hanging out at the team hotel. It was crazy and awesome. We were walking outside and Timmy Smith was sitting on a stoop by himself. No one was talking to him because no one had any idea who he was. I said to my friend, there's Timmy Smith, let's go say hi. I walked up to him, and basically just said "Good luck tomorrow, I think you should be the starter." He laughed and said thanks. There is no question he had the greatest game any Redskin RB ever had.

Come on Timmy, don't give us this 3rd hand account. Tell us what really happened to you

He got most of the atts. against Chicago since Rogers was a little dinged up. Att were split against Minn. Rogers was the still very much expected to be the starter. It was totally a surprise for Smith to be the named SB starter: Joe Gibbs Doug Williams and Timmy Smith himself. That is really the whole point of the article.

Last ever skins game for Rogers - he retired at the end of the season due to too many niggling injuries - Smith had the world at his feet replacing a great running back and just snorted it all away

But we all know the real star of that game was Doug Williams. And there can only be one hero. The media won't allow two

I think if you couple that with the fact that we have so many stars (to us) from the 80s teams that no one in our fanbase has really done the work to keep the Timmy Smith accomplishment alive.

His run-ins with the law were not in keeping of the values of the team from that time. 

Definitely an interesting piece... but it's been up for a few days now and I've just now clicked on it early on a Sunday because I'm bored.

"It's hero time"

Honestly, these are the words i said to a pseudo bandwagon Bronco fan when i saw Williams loosening up on the sidelines after he went down and left the game for a play.

Butch davis was his name, and he was having himself a blast laughing at me in the first quarter. 

You know the type.. "I don't care about football, but because you actually do, i will root against your team and laugh it up like i had loved the Broncos all my life".

He had a ball in that first quarter. Then  Williams went down and he was prancing around exclaiming the game was over.

I saw williams warming back up and I knew.. I stood up and told him to sit down and watch, because "it's hero time:"

i had no idea how much of a hero he would be, but i knew the Redskins were going to march right back into the game when i saw him on the sidelines.

Butch left in the 4th quarter.

i know this is a Timmy Smith thread, but screw it, this same story is repeated annually... so i figure i will repeat mine.. annually.

~Bang

Love it Bang

I had a good size bet w/ a friend for that game. When Doug went down the phone rang, he's on there whooping it up and gloating. In my usual self-destructively stubborn way, I gave him a load'a **** and doubled the bet. By the third quarter he wouldn't answer the phone, and I didn't see him for more than a week. When I did he was down in the dumps, not because he lost but because he had to explain to his wife that he'd lost $500 'cuz of his big mouth.

Rode him like a pony for years over that.

Great story Bang!  I must add my own. It's not as dramatic, but still...

I had a SB party and I told everyone that if we held them to a FG on that next drive after the TD, we would win easily. Everyone nodded yes but I am not sure anyone believed me, including myself. We did hold them and then 2nd Q happened and of course the rest as they say is history. It was awesome!  

Side note: We all agreed to drink a shot of tequila after every score. So to this day I am not sure I remember too much of the 2nd half other than we won and they never challenged us.

Love it Bang

I had a good size bet w/ a friend for that game. When Doug went down the phone rang, he's on there whooping it up and gloating. In my usual self-destructively stubborn way, I gave him a load'a **** and doubled the bet. By the third quarter he wouldn't answer the phone, and I didn't see him for more than a week. When I did he was down in the dumps, not because he lost but because he had to explain to his wife that he'd lost $500 'cuz of his big mouth.

Rode him like a pony for years over that.

As a rule i don't bet on Redskins games,, my heart causes me to lose money.

On that game i had one measly ten dollar bet with a friend of mine who said that Jay Schroeder would play.. I took the bet, and that ONE play while Williams was out cost me the Hammy.

~Bang

Beathard, who drafted Humphries, wanted him in SD. He got Casserly to trade him for a measly 4th round pick...which was used on a punter who got cut in training camp.

But it was Joe Gibbs who wanted Humphries off the roster, as Gibbs was unimpressed with Humphries' stubborn lack of work ethic (unwillingness to lose weight and to work out at Redskins Park in the offseason, that is).

Casserly, as usual, failed to capitalize, it's true.

Gibbs later called it his biggest mistake.

Archived