Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Making my first trip to Fedex Field

kehazlett

I am a lifelong Skins fan but unfortunately have never seen them play on there home field. That will change soon! I have purchased tickets and booked our hotel for next weekend. We will be making the 8 hour drive from Ohio.

Any suggestions on what we definitely should not miss out on? Pregame/Postgame, places to eat or whatever. Just looking for ideas since I have never been and know nothing about the area.

Thanks for any advice,

Kenny

Just go to the es tailgate. A lot cheaper than any restaurant in DC and it's all you can eat. Just bring something to them in return.

Stadium is accessible from metro, just have to walk a mile. Depending on your drive you can park at shady Grove and take the train to FedEx. Switch at metro center and take blue or silver there

...watch this board for the thread about the ES tailgate for the playoff game.  I have heard/read things that point to us having the Sunday 4:30 PM game (especially if we play Seattle)...hope your flight is not until Monday! 

Also, this is the famous Mark The Homer's (MTH) thread regarding everything you ever wanted to know about FedEx Field.  A great source of knowledge.  If knowledge is power, then it is pretty darn powerful as well.

http://es.redskins.com/topic/142397-everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-fedexfield/

Note to MTH : need to remove AAA tailgate and add redzone parking info...

I appreciate all of the valuable info. To answer a few questions.

We will be going to the playoff game. Tickets were purchased off of Stub Hub. I'm sure I over paid but I didn't want to miss out.

We will be making the 8 hour drive. We will be staying at the Courtyard New Carrollton Landover. Planning on staying Friday and Saturday but if game ends up being on Sunday we will hopefully be able to change our reservations to Saturday and Sunday.

MarkB452 I will definitely read the thread you referenced.

Ixcuincle I would love to stop by the ES tailgate.

I'm just so pumped up to actually get to see the Skins play and be around other Skins fans! The only time I have seen them in person was in Cincinnati several years ago. We lost and needless to say it was not the best experience.

If you have the option extend it a few more days and make a real trip out of it. If you've never been to Fed Ex you may have never been to Washington itself. The monuments, the Smithsonian, etc. are so worth experiencing. There are great bars and restaurants for sure, as people above mentioned, but the history is pretty awesome.

I appreciate all of the valuable info. To answer a few questions.

We will be going to the playoff game. Tickets were purchased off of Stub Hub. I'm sure I over paid but I didn't want to miss out.

We will be making the 8 hour drive. We will be staying at the Courtyard New Carrollton Landover. Planning on staying Friday and Saturday but if game ends up being on Sunday we will hopefully be able to change our reservations to Saturday and Sunday.

MarkB452 I will definitely read the thread you referenced.

Ixcuincle I would love to stop by the ES tailgate.

I'm just so pumped up to actually get to see the Skins play and be around other Skins fans! The only time I have seen them in person was in Cincinnati several years ago. We lost and needless to say it was not the best experience.

that's good, seems like you were really excited about this..... buying tickets to the wrong game would been gutrenching....

The game where Sellers fumbled while trying to reach across the goal line?  I was at that game too with my dad and sister (who lives in Cinn.).  I think that game was the beginning of the end for Zorn.

If you are coming to the ES tailgate, can you bring a food item/adult beverage/etc. that is somewhat unique to your city/state? 

People typically bring $10-$15 worth of stuff per person to the tailgate.  Food/Supplies/etc preferred over cash.

Playoff tickets are both on sale now and so easy to get?

There's no like season ticket holders/ loyalty scheme based on past record priority?

Fascinating (f not fair based off that) the way American ball clubs do things. 

Enjoy your trip. Hope it ultimately ends in celebration. 

Hail. 

STH's have first right of refusal for their seats. We'll also have the chance to buy any available seats on Jan 2nd, according to the team. But... I don't think there's many of us left... we're a dying breed

So yeah, I'm sure the team dumped any non-STH held seats on the market as soon as they could.

It's no secrete the team is struggling to sell tickets. There are a few that said they had no problem buying direct from the ticket office for the 2012 playoffs, not being STHs, but... they don't seem to ever give me details when I ask.. (it's entirely possible they gave them somewhere else on the forum and I just missed it)

STH's have first right of refusal for their seats. We'll also have the chance to buy any available seats on Jan 2nd, according to the team. But... I don't think there's many of us left... we're a dying breed

So yeah, I'm sure the team dumped any non-STH held seats on the market as soon as they could.

It's no secrete the team is struggling to sell tickets. There are a few that said they had no problem buying direct from the ticket office for the 2012 playoffs, not being STHs, but... they don't seem to ever give me details when I ask.. (it's entirely possible they gave them somewhere else on the forum and I just missed it)

Well that's something at least in terms of seasonie holders. 

But there's no 'loyalty scheme' so to speak in place above and beyond that on a sliding scale of previous games attended? For example, let's say you have a guy who is a regular at home games, not just this season, but over a duration. And then we hit the playoff's and maybe he misses out in the rush because anyone can just buy one right out of the gate. Pretty unfair system. 

There's no fair way of doing it and someones always gonna' be unhappy. But if they credited tickets bought from the Redskins direct so you had a purchase history would be a good start. Or if folk keep their stubs if they've bought off the secondary market so they have those to show.

But putting playoff tickets immediately on a general sale to anyone  ..... I appreciate we're talking different cultures and approaches but that blows me away and would have me up in arms with the organisation were I a regular. 

Would this roll over to SB tickets too?

Hail. 

The Seattle playoff game was an awesome atmosphere.  It was noisy as hell and there were MAYBE 100 Seahawks fans in the hole building.

Playoffs are different.

I didn't go to the Lions game in 1999, but it was noisy as hell on TV.

Say what you want about FedEx, but we tear that ****er down during the playoffs.

Would this roll over to SB tickets too?

Hail. 

I'm not sure that's possible being that you are catering to two sets of season ticket holders for the Super Bowl.  Plus the "event" crowd, celebrities, politicians, VIPs, yadda yadda yadda.

But if we make a Super Bowl, I have a CD set aside for it. Right along with my CD I set aside for bail money for when I'm arrested at the Caps Stanley Cup parade for public intoxication and lewd behavior.   ;)

The Seattle playoff game was an awesome atmosphere.  It was noisy as hell and there were MAYBE 100 Seahawks fans in the hole building.

Playoffs are different.

I didn't go to the Lions game in 1999, but it was noisy as hell on TV.

Say what you want about FedEx, but we tear that ****er down during the playoffs.

I'm not sure that's possible being that you are catering to two sets of season ticket holders for the Super Bowl.  Plus the "event" crowd, celebrities, politicians, VIPs, yadda yadda yadda.

But if we make a Super Bowl, I have a CD set aside for it. Right along with my CD I set aside for bail money for when I'm arrested at the Caps Stanley Cup parade for public intoxication and lewd behavior.   ;)

Glad to hear that I'm not crazy. I was there for 2012 too. It was LOUD, but after the game folks on the radio and other people I talked to kept saying they didn't think it was that loud. Some even claimed noise was coming in through the PA. Seems to be the hip type thing to do though. Like saying a movie that scared your pants off just wasn't that scary. Never did understand that.

I will say that at points the Dallas game the week before was a bit louder. But when we went up 14-0 on Seattle that place was shaking and you couldn't hear yourself think. Don't think I've ever experienced it that loud before. But the part that will stick with me forever was how quiet it was when the ball got snapped and Griff collapsed. Seemed like a collective gasp of shock, and then as pure a silence you could get out of 90,000 people. You could've heard a mouse fart in that place. It was eery.

Glad to hear that I'm not crazy. I was there for 2012 too. It was LOUD, but after the game folks on the radio and other people I talked to kept saying they didn't think it was that loud. Some even claimed noise was coming in through the PA. Seems to be the hip type thing to do though. Like saying a movie that scared your pants off just wasn't that scary. Never did understand that.

I will say that at points the Dallas game the week before was a bit louder. But when we went up 14-0 on Seattle that place was shaking and you couldn't hear yourself think. Don't think I've ever experienced it that loud before. But the part that will stick with me forever was how quiet it was when the ball got snapped and Griff collapsed. Seemed like a collective gasp of shock, and then as pure a silence you could get out of 90,000 people. You could've heard a mouse fart in that place. It was eery.

Yeah, the 3rd and long after we went 14-0... if Wilson doesn't complete that pass to the TE... it was about to be game over.

But that 3rd and long was the loudest I've heard FedEx next to Eli getting sacked inside the 10 on MNF a month earlier.

Archived