Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

teams name changes

quettefan

With the prospects of St. Louis potentially relocating to L.A., I've been thinking about how the Cleveland "rule" might apply to name changes and have the following suggestions:

• L.A. becomes the Rams (again)
  • St. Louis (IF they ever get another team) become the Cardinals (again)
  • Arizona becomes the Arizona Phoenix

highly doubtful that the Bidwell's would consider changing the name (if I have my history right, they're the oldest franchise in the league? initially they were the Chicago Cardinals and founding members of the NFL?)..but if the Cleveland rule is to be honored, shouldn't Arizona adopt a new name?

...oh: not what you were expecting when you saw the title?  ;)

With the prospects of St. Louis potentially relocating to L.A., I've been thinking about how the Cleveland "rule" might apply to name changes and have the following suggestions:

• L.A. becomes the Rams (again)
  • St. Louis (IF they ever get another team) become the Cardinals (again)
  • Arizona becomes the Arizona Phoenix

highly doubtful that the Bidwell's would consider changing the name (if I have my history right, they're the oldest franchise in the league? initially they were the Chicago Cardinals and founding members of the NFL?)..but if the Cleveland rule is to be honored, shouldn't Arizona adopt a new name?

...oh: not what you were expecting when you saw the title?  ;)

I think that's a cool idea. I like re-establishing the legacy and history that some cities and franchises had. Having a Cardinals franchise in St. Louis would be pretty cool. But, does that mean that the Cardinals team that has been playing in Arizona for a quarter of a century would forfeit all of its history when they become the Coyotes/Phoenix/Cactus? Or would they keep the past 25 years and the St. Louis Cardinals would pick up where they left off (whichever year they moved to Phoenix)? 

Interesting thoughts. Just a heads up, this probably belongs in ATL (Around the League) since it's not really Redskins related. May want to move it before the Mods "help you".

thanks goskins...it was my mistake and that's *exactly* what happened (within 30 minutes the mod's had gently moved my baby to the right crib)

I think that's a cool idea. I like re-establishing the legacy and history that some cities and franchises had. Havg a Cardinals franchise in St. Louis would be pretty cool. But, does that mean that the Cardinals team that has been playing in Arizona for a quarter of a century would forfeit all of its history when they become the Coyotes/Phoenix/Cactus? Or would they keep the past 25 years and the St. Louis Cardinals would pick up where they left off (whichever year they moved to Phoenix)? 

Unfortunately I'm sketchy on how the league handles stats for teams that move. Hoping someone can help clarify.

The way I think it works is as follows (using examples):

- when Baltimore moved to Indianapolis and remained the Colts, then all of  Johnny Unitas' Baltimore Colts records went to Indianapolis, too

BUT

- when Cleveland lost the Browns to Baltimore, and they became the Ravens,  I don't think that the Browns stats went to Baltimore 

IMHO, stats/records should remain with the City, and not follow the team. As an extreme example, say that "frozen tundra" Packers move to sunny Miami...Green Bay climate is nothing nothing like Florida so the stats from the old team really aren't indicative of their new location or fan base.

St. Louis Jaguars doesn't sound bad.

I thought that the Cleveland rule mandated that the team moniker would never again leave the City's fanbase (so, the "Browns" would always stay with Cleveland, "Jaguars" always with Jacksonville, etc.)

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me (and should probably shut down this thread, too)

I don't think there's a standard...I think it's something that they do on a case-by-case basis.

When Cleveland left for Baltimore, it was determined that there was far too much history with that city so they would essentially have a couple-year break and then the expansion Browns would continue history. The new Ravens (the old Browns team) started with a blank record book. 

In other cases, the Rams and Cardinals simply moved cities but the franchise stayed in tact. 

Jaguars should move to Mexico City. Work the logo a bit to give it a Aztec feel and it will fit right in. Have them play 7 of their home games in LA.

Leave the cardinals where they are. Threaten to send the raiders to Alaska if they keep complaining. Explain to San Diego that the choice is between where they are and Jacksonville. Apologize to the Rams for leaving them in a hell hole like St Louis.

Problems solved.

• 2 weeks later...

St. Louis is a hell hole.  Everything about that place pretty much sucks and I've been there quite a bit for work.  Yuck.  Not to mention aren't they having some underground fire at a nuclear waste site?  That place may not exist too much longer.

That landfill fire has been burning underground since 2010. The illegally dumped nuclear waste is roughly 1,200 feet away with no barrier. The EPA says the fire is contained while the locals claim the fire is moving. 

So St Louis could be the next Pripyat, Ukraine. 

This parallels the 1962-infinity mine fire in Centralia, PA. That fire isn't contained and is still moving underground. 

So what do they do? Do they move the Rams to LA or leave the trash team in the trash city? 

Archived