Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Help! Defaulted Student Loans (and other debt fun)

Rdskn4Lyf21

Wisconsin group says Biden’s student debt plan has ‘improper racial motive’

A group in Wisconsin claims President Biden’s plan to cancel up to $20,000 in student loan debt violates federal law by intentionally seeking to narrow the racial wealth gap and help Black borrowers.

The allegation is among the claims in a lawsuit filed Tuesday by conservative legal outfit Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty on behalf of the Brown County Taxpayers Association. The complaint largely relies on arguments of executive overreach that have been raised in other legal actions to block Biden’s plan.

It stands out, however, by also bringing race into the mix.

In promoting the debt forgiveness plan, the White House has said it could help narrow the racial wealth gap and advance racial equity. But the lawsuit argues that those statements constitute an “improper racial motive” and violate the constitution’s guarantee of equal protection of the laws.

“The White House has indicated that one reason to do this is that they believe it would disproportionately benefit certain racial groups,” said Rick Esenberg, president and general counsel of the Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty. “The racial motivation supports these taxpayers standing to challenge [the policy] and informs yet another constitutional difficulty with the program.”

Click on the link for the full article

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Cooked Crack said:

Probably trying to stop scams. Had a coworker say the application was up but I think she may have gotten a phishing link.

They need to have a form so that it is an opt-in program to address the argument put forth in one of the lawsuits that an infinitesimally small number of people would be better off not taking the forgiveness (or hey, save taxpayers money for the dumb****s who don't take it because of their political leanings). 

4 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

They need to have a form so that it is an opt-in program to address the argument put forth in one of the lawsuits that an infinitesimally small number of people would be better off not taking the forgiveness

and make sure it notes which party is responsible for them getting this free money.  Wonder how many Gop-ers will opt in.

3 minutes ago, The Almighty Buzz said:

and make sure it notes which party is responsible for them getting this free money.  Wonder how many Gop-ers will opt in.

After GOP Congresspeople went apoplectic about the student loan forgiveness, only to have THE WHITE HOUSE post their forgiven PPP loans on Twitter for all to see, I don't think the form needs to note which party stands where. 

Just now, PleaseBlitz said:

After GOP Congresspeople went apoplectic about the student loan forgiveness, only to have THE WHITE HOUSE post their forgiven PPP loans on Twitter for all to see, I don't think the form needs to note which party stands where. 

Yes it does.  Slap them in the face with it.  Hell, make this the transparent background.

il_570xN.3594068092_pk0e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/26/2022 at 12:10 PM, Ball Security said:

There has to be lessons learned from the PPP distribution.  Similar to healthcare, instead of going through employers, give the help to those that need it.  Put the money into making sure people who lost their jobs/business can maintain their housing and are fed.  Yes, the details behind that are hard, but that’s the framework I’d start with.

Another lesson learned: don't let corrupt administrations administer such programs:

Trump officials removed '2.7 million' PPP fraud flags from 'the largest corporations' during his lame duck period

The Paycheck Protection Program (PPP), which was part of the CARES Act of 2020, was launched under former President Donald Trump in response to the COVID-19 pandemic and continued into the Joe Biden era. Some PPP loans were investigated by federal officials and flagged for potential fraud. But according to a Project on Government Oversight (POGO) report released on Thursday, October 6, the Trump Administration eliminated an abundance of flags during its final weeks in office.

Truthout’s Sharon Zhang reports that according to POGO’s report, Small Business Administration (SBA) officials “eliminated 2.7 million flags between December 2020 and January 2021, as the Administration was in its lame duck period.”

In an article published on October 6, Zhang notes, “Special preference was given to the largest loans, which often also went to the largest corporations. On January 16, 2021, four days before President Joe Biden’s inauguration, Trump’s SBA wiped 99 percent of special review flags — which were given out to every loan above $2 million for separate investigatory purposes.”

Click on the link for the full article

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

The 3 I've seen so far are weak, and all filed by partisan GOP legal outfits, i.e., not what I would consider the varsity.  This article is behind a paywall, but seems to indicate there are at least 5 now.  

Odd. Guess I used my 1 free per month view for it. 

but yes, 5. Seems the one today has the best shot. The others have either already been dismissed or haven’t even had a date set yet (and reads like that’s because they are bad arguments and not really being taken seriously)

and that the one today, while the “best” of the bunch, is not very good. 

FWIW, the 7th circuit threw that case out because "taxpayers" don't have standing to sue over every government program that spends tax money, and this particular request was to handle it as an emergency, which it just isn't. 

Once again, all of these cases are bull**** challenges brought by bull**** legal outfits.  The attorneys in this one are the the "Wisconsin Institute for Law and Liberty" and once again, if a legal outfit has the term "liberty" in its name (and no doubt bald eagles and pictures of the Founders all over its website), you can bet its not a top-tier provider of legal services.  Someone tag me if any of these challenges are brought by Kirkland & Ellis or Cravath. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Cooked Crack said:

This looks a lot like the other one that got denied.  Main claim is that the program is mandatory and therefore harms people who may get their student loans relieved through other government programs (where they would not have to pay state tax on that amount) and they would have to pay state taxes through this program.  Looks like the government already addressed the issue (it now requires an opt-in), so it's not clear what the issue is. Plus the Department of Education simply removed the named plaintiffs from the program (LOL) so they may not even have standing anymore. 

Lawyers are still a non-profit outfit that uses the term "liberty" like 100 times on its website, still not the varsity.