Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

Got a co-worker that jus saw that after getting approved for doctorate program. 

They really are jus sitting around a table like the Legion of Doom trying to figure how to **** as many people as possible.

Edited by Renegade7
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Got a co-worker that jus saw that after getting approved for doctorate program. 

They really are jus sitting around a table like the Legion of Doom trying to figure how to **** as many people as possible.

When my dad moved to the US in the 70s, the plan was to come here for grad school, find a job and eventually become a citizen. It was all legal and it’s exactly what conservatives point to as “moving here the right way.” His plan should things not work out (eg he couldn’t get a work visa for whatever reason, or got stalled on the path to green card), was to keep enough money to fly back to India. That was it- he didn’t have extra money sitting around to fly home for Christmas or spring break. A policy like this would’ve ended his American dream on the spot. Yes, he could save up enough to try again but that is not at all realistic.

The people getting punished are the ones republicans keeping touting as “the good ones.” They created their own opportunities and went through all the legal pre-screening required to try at the American dream. A lot of media coverage of this focuses on the quality of internet in other countries, but they fail to mention that the financial and personal toll of relocating to another country alone can keep them from ever coming back.

None of this helps us in our incompetent fight against COVID. The cruelty is the point.

The good news for people like my dad  is that Canada is eager to welcome people like my dad who will contribute to the tax base.

Edited by wrilbo67
  • Like 3

It’s just so completely arbitrary. And it’s ultimately going to put more financial pressure on universities to do things that aren’t in the best interests of their community.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I read a post on another board that this is happening at the same time the trump administration pushes to reopen all schools in the fall. They know this will force the hand of universities to open up.

Once again, Trump is using immigrants as hostages in a purely political ploy. He  wants open schools as a backdrop to claiming victory over COVID.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, JCB said:

It’s just so completely arbitrary. And it’s ultimately going to put more financial pressure on universities to do things that aren’t in the best interests of their community.

Might not be arbitrary, he also threatened to cut funds for schools that remained closed.  Trump wants everything to reopen and this puts pressure on colleges to do that.  It also pleases his xenophobic base that favors any move he makes, no matter how petty, so long as it harms immigrants.

• Like 3

https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-private-border-wall-segment-123206928.html

Trump on private border wall segment: ‘It was only done to make me look bad’

Saying it was done to embarrass him, President Donald Trump on Sunday said a reportedly defective section of his new border wall should not have been built by a private company.

ProPublica and the Texas Tribune reported Thursday that a segment of the wall along the Texas-Mexico border was showing dangerous “signs of erosion“ only months after being completed. The section was constructed by Fisher Industries of North Dakota, whose owner called the design a “Lamborghini.” It cost $42 million.

“I disagreed,” Trump tweeted Sunday, “with doing this very small (tiny) section of wall, in a tricky area, by a private group which raised money by ads. It was only done to make me look bad, and perhsps it now doesn’t even work. Should have been built like rest of Wall, 500 plus miles.“ (The misspelling of “perhaps” was part of the tweet.)

Trump subsequently tweeted: “We have now built 240 Miles of new Border Wall on our Southern Border. We will have over 450 Miles built by the end of the year. Have established some of the best Border Numbers ever.“

• Haha 1