Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The immigration thread: American Melting Pot or Get off my Lawn

Burgold

11 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Question of who has jurisdiction over the grant of waiver =/= question of whether the waiver should be granted.

I thought we and the court agreed the AG does, though they seem a bit confused by the AG's directions and the actions of those under his direction..😎

may or shall?

4 minutes ago, twa said:

I thought we and the court agreed the AG does, though they seem a bit confused by the AG's directions and the actions of those under his direction..😎

may or shall?

Yes, everyone except the BIA and AG agrees that the AG has the jurisdiction.  And everyone agrees it's may grant the waiver.  

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, bearrock said:

Yes, everyone except the BIA and AG agrees that the AG has the jurisdiction.  And everyone agrees it's may grant the waiver.  

if the AG tells the BIA someone else holds a veto does it factor in the AG's may??

I think we are done here.

It's illegal to destroy saguaro cacti. So why are they being removed for Trump's border wall?

LUKEVILLE, Ariz. — In Arizona, cactus rustling — stealing or killing the state’s iconic saguaros is a felony. It’s illegal to shoot or deface the iconic cactuses or to remove them from parks, where the slow-growing succulents can reach more than 60 feet and live up to 200 years. Violators are pursued by state agricultural police, or “cactus cops.”

That hasn’t stopped federal contractors from plowing over saguaros to make room for President Donald Trump’s border wall.

At least a half-dozen saguaros were uprooted this month by crews clearing a dirt road next to new border fencing at Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument, about 150 miles southwest of Tucson, near the Lakeville border crossing.

Remains of the saguaros, some of which stood taller than the 30-foot wall, were dumped, under some other debris, near a hill that crews started blasting with explosives this month to build the wall. The company, Southwest Valley Constructors, has a $789 million contract from U.S. Customs and Border Protection to build 38 miles of border fence in the area.

“They have quite clearly tried to hide the body of this cactus,” said Laiken Jordahl, a former Organ Pipe park contractor who is now a campaigner for the Tucson-based Center for Biological Diversity, which has sued to stop the wall.

During a visit to the construction site last week, Jordahl took photos and video of what he called saguaro “carcasses.” He has posted footage online, spurring outrage. 

Click on the link for the full article

1 hour ago, bearrock said:

Cuban deportation issue is complex and I'm not sure it's a political winner for either side.  Obama made the change in US policy towards deporting Cubans on US soil by reversing wet foot, dry foot.

Wonder how many Cubans Obama deported.  (Including, I'm pretty sure, ones who were already in the country when he changed the policy, to deport them.)  

Just now, Larry said:

Wonder how many Cubans Obama deported.  (Including, I'm pretty sure, ones who were already in the country when he changed the policy, to deport them.)  

The change was made during the last weeks of his presidency (might have been his actual last week), so probably none.  

I'm not giving Trump a pass on this at all.  His immigration policies have a large hand in those Cuban deportations, including my suspicion that some of them probably would have been strong candidates for regular asylum even if not eligible for some of the other benefits under the Cuban Adjustment Act.

I'm just saying as a political and election matter, it's probably a mixed bag with the electorate in Florida.  Just my 2 cents is all.  I mean, I think my disdain for Trump Admin's terrible immigration policy has been made clear in the past.

Oh, I can certainly see that trying to get outraged over Trump deporting Cubans would be a political mixed bag.  

Almost certainly more people thinking "Hey, they're Hispanic, aren't they?" than there are who think "Cuban" is supposed to be a magic pass to immigration.  

Just a case that I've seen Trump do way too many things, and then say Obama did it, for me to just believe it.  

• Like 1

The point of my last reply was not really to take a side on Trump deporting Cubans.  I honestly don't have enough info right now to make an informed opinion either way.  The point was how the media always goes for the more sensational tidbits that they can exploit for fake outrage then tackle issues going on.

Bernie giving an off-handed opinion on 1960's (?) Cuba seemed to get way more attention and "Well what will the Cubans THINK OF THAAAAAAAAT?"  commentary, when there is actually something going on right now in 2020 that the Cuban population in Florida might have something to say about.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...