Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your friendly Friday night youtube music thread Vol. II (with respect to vol. I's OP--rincewind)

Jumbo

18 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

It still blows me away that this came out in 88. I swear it's ten years ahead of it's time...it always screws up my memory and sense of time, if that makes sense.

It fits perfectly in with the Grateful Deads 80s lead guitar sound. Mutron 3 envelope filter is still the hottest part of "What I Am". 🤓

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

It fits perfectly in with the Grateful Deads 80s lead guitar sound. Mutron 3 envelope filter is still the hottest part of "What I Am". 🤓

I'm not familiar with Grateful Dead at all. Did their 80's albums have the same studio/production sound? This has a near-perfect balance of instruments and depth that IMO wasn't really met until the mid to late 90's.

6 minutes ago, Metalhead said:

I'm not familiar with Grateful Dead at all. Did their 80's albums have the same studio/production sound? This has a near-perfect balance of instruments and depth that IMO wasn't really met until the mid to late 90's.

Shakedown Street, Fire on the Mountain, and Estimated Prophet all feature the mutron 3 envelope filter. Jerry used it a ton live on various songs in the 80s. The guitar solo on What I Am is that highly sought after sound imo. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Shakedown Street, Fire on the Mountain, and Estimated Prophet all feature the mutron 3 envelope filter. Jerry used it a ton live on various songs in the 80s. The guitar solo on What I Am is that highly sought after sound imo. 

Those are the albums? I'll check 'em out.