Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Random Tech/IT Thread

Gamebreaker

my favorite suggestion was pick a phrase where one word is a color.

pick a way of associating a color with everything, so for ES you might pick red. or maybe burgundy. or gold.

you can change that color for everything and now you have a unique password for every service but you can easily remember it. of course if you're on like 5 different redskins sites you might have the same password, but at least it'd be different than say, your banking password :)

i use keepass. it's an industry standard with a good rep. it's free. and you can put the database on your cloud storage account and sync it with your phone as they have an app for ios or android.

of course then your password database is in the cloud and now the nsa has it so you just cannot win.

Edited by tshile

I use last pass. I typically 'cheat' the system by changing 1 word. For example Got2run4office!will. Then I change run to pay, dance, sing, walk, whatever. So the main password meets the rules but one word is unique.

I use last pass. I typically 'cheat' the system by changing 1 word. For example Got2run4office!will. Then I change run to pay, dance, sing, walk, whatever. So the main password meets the rules but one word is unique.

the only problem with that picture is that it relies on truly random words, but people suck at generating passwords with truly random words. they tend to pick random words from a subset of their life, not from the dictionary set. when you're picking from a sub set of family names, places they live, pets names, vacation spots, cars they drive, where they work, favorite athletes or sports teams... it becomes less hard to 'guess'.

i once had a guy who had this system of generating a password. his password was truly random. it was always unique. but he couldn't ever remember it.

i think his company wasted a few hundred dollars ordering new certificates and keys because he kept forgetting them and the system had no password reset functionality... forget your password and you're paying for a new cert/key and the processing fees.

Ya, I have four root, complex passphrases I use that each have a few set variations (important things I don't use it's unique password anywhere else, and my fingers remember better then I do sometimes). But that's why I like dual-factor because if someone really, really wants my password, I might not be able to stop them.

Edited by Renegade7

this was suggested as the company wide email to send out

"thanks to people being dumb everyone on this list had their password reset. I suggest you think about what you've done"

i wish i could do that :(

The simple fact is password security by itself isn't security. It doesn't matter what password rules you dictate.

I disagree, unless your networking equipment at work is Cisco equipment. I have a CCNA, I wouldn't necessarily call it fairly general. It is tailored specifically for Cisco IOS and touches on some network basics. I would recommend looking into Network+ instead.

I certainly will. CCNA was recommended specifically by one of the network engineers I work with regularly mainly because most of our VC gear is Cisco based.

I'm fairly tech literate and pick up things at a reasonable pace. My background and education in AV helps me a bit in that I understand the concept of signal flow and basic concepts about how devices communicate with one another.

• Like 1

I certainly will. CCNA was recommended specifically by one of the network engineers I work with regularly mainly because most of our VC gear is Cisco based.

I'm fairly tech literate and pick up things at a reasonable pace. My background and education in AV helps me a bit in that I understand the concept of signal flow and basic concepts about how devices communicate with one another.

Well if you have any questions about Cisco terms, commands, access control list, VPNs, whatever,. just drop me a PM.

EDIT: I would recommend working on real equipment to practice with, if you can get your hands on some. If not, a Cisco Packet Tracer program is a decent substitute.

Edited by Gamebreaker
  • Like 1

The best part about getting an apple fanboi to realize their machine isn't as secure as they say it is, is their immediate jump to rationalizing it

(pssst - it's the same problem PC's have and we've been trying to explain to you for a while now...)

Schneier - Mac OS X, iOS, and Flash Had the Most Discovered Vulnerabilities in 2015

Which software had the most publicly disclosed vulnerabilities this year? The winner is none other than Apple's Mac OS X, with 384 vulnerabilities. The runner-up? Apple's iOS, with 375 vulnerabilities.
Rounding out the top five are Adobe's Flash Player, with 314 vulnerabilities; Adobe's AIR SDK, with 246 vulnerabilities; and Adobe AIR itself, also with 246 vulnerabilities. For comparison, last year the top five (in order) were: Microsoft's Internet Explorer, Apple's Mac OS X, the Linux Kernel, Google's Chrome, and Apple's iOS.

:lol:

couple people i wish i could send that too... argued with them about this over and over, they probably still don't get it.

good job beating out adobe, the worst tech company that's ever existed.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 1

Well if you have any questions about Cisco terms, commands, access control list, VPNs, whatever,. just drop me a PM.

EDIT: I would recommend working on real equipment to practice with, if you can get your hands on some. If not, a Cisco Packet Tracer program is a decent substitute.

Thanks for the tip. As soon as I can put the money together to really get the ball rolling on it I'm sure you'll probably hear from me.

• Like 1

The best part about getting an apple fanboi to realize their machine isn't as secure as they say it is, is their immediate jump to rationalizing it

Until web surfing on the Microsoft platform is fixed so that you don't get Malware/Adware/browser ware each time you touch a malicious site it doesn't matter.

Going 6/7 years strong and never ran a virus scanner (other than to randomly check) or adware/malware tools.  My machine is as virgin as the day I bought it :lol:

And for the record, Adobe and Microsoft still lead that list, they just segregate all the MS and Adobe products.  Nice cherry picking.

I have to tell you as a long time Windows guy.. I can remember Windows 1.x... Window's HW sucks ass.

I typically buy new HW every 18 months, have for decades. Last time I bought HW now must have been four years ago, bought a Power Mac, which I duel boot.. It's the best PC I've ever owned.

I'll also tell you running windows 10, which sucks ass btw.. corruptions all over the place.. slow.. very hookie.. I regularly have to boot to IOS to get anything done. I'm not a big fan of IOS because it's not really my wheel house, but it works, which is more than you've been able to say for MS products for a long time.

I'll also tell you if you need tech support.. Microsoft Tech Support is unusable. It's like they went to India and paid the absolute bottom wage... I want to burn Microsoft's HQ to the ground after pulling my hair out with their customer support for a few days..

Ring Ring...

Them -> what's your product ID.

Me -> I don't have a product ID. bought this program years ago, registered it and there is no way to see the product ID in this version of windows from the OS.

Them -> click.

Ring Ring....

Them -> What's your product ID..

Me -> Ok blah blah blah blah blah blah....blah blah blah blah blah blah....blah blah blah blah blah blah....

Them-> Thank you..

Me -> My internet connection is down and won't allow me to connect..

Them -> It's your cable modem.

Me -> When I boot to IOS the internet connection works fine

Them -> It's your hardware manufacture.

Me -> How can it be the HW if I use the same HW boot to a different OS and it works?

Them -> it's your hardware, you have to call your HW manufacture.

Me -> How could that possible be right.

Them -> It's your hardware, there is nothing we can do for you.

Me -> Could I speak to your supervisor

Them -> It's your hardware

Me -> If I remove the internet cable I get a different error.

Them -> it's your HW.