Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN: Handgun-firing drone appears legal in video, but FAA, police probe further

China

I for one am excited for a new version of Robot Wars.

All joking aside, a robot war that allowed firearms and flying to be incorporated into the designs would be worth a look.  

... Now back to our over reaction to laws not covering things that have not yet proven to be a threat of any kind. OMG drone with a hand gun attached to it, I'm moving my family into the basement right now! 

Why should that be illegal? You said it yourself, the thing that makes this dangerous is the person, not objects.

And you can legally mount machine guns on your car and drive it around your property, so long as you legally own said machine guns and it is legal to open carry a rifle on private property in your area.

Yea FreeDUMB!

Why should that be illegal? You said it yourself, the thing that makes this dangerous is the person, not objects.

And you can legally mount machine guns on your car and drive it around your property, so long as you legally own said machine guns and it is legal to open carry a rifle on private property in your area.

Let me help you.

point·less
ˈpoin(t)ləs/
adjective

1. 1.
    having little or no sense, use, or purpose.
    "speculating like this is a pointless exercise"
    synonyms:

senselessfutilehopelessfruitlessuselessneedless, in vain,unavailingaimlessidleworthlessvalueless

con·ver·sa·tion
    ˌkänvərˈsāSH(ə)n/
    noun

1. the informal exchange of ideas by spoken words.
      "the two men were deep in conversation"
      synonyms: discussiontalkchatgossiptête-à-têteheart-to-heartexchange,dialogue

~Bang

No. 

A) its reckless and dangerous.

B) define secluded. 

C) a few years from now when drones are flying everywhere how do you know which ones are armed and which are delivering pizza?

A) Except it was just proven not to be.

B ) The law already does with laws about where a person can discharge a firearm on their property

C) The same way I determine whether or not the pizza guy is carrying a pizza or a gun?

A) Except it was just proven not to be.

B ) The law already does with laws about where a person can discharge a firearm on their property

C) The same way I determine whether or not the pizza guy is carrying a pizza or a gun?

So a college student managed to make it work once without killing someone and it's now proven safe? Serious question... are you high?

I'm pretty sure firing a gun from a helicopter or other aircraft is illegal in all 50 states. There is NO precedent for mounting a firearm on a drone that a shooter can use to kill someone (an assassination) remotely. Once you mount a weapon on a drone, it is no longer restricted to your property. It is a dangerous offensive weapon that even with the best intentions could kill someone because of a stiff breeze. 

And the irony here is that it is illegal to shoot down someone else's drone. 

New Jersey man shoots down drone over his property, gets arrested.

So yeah, lets have an insane world where armed (possible untraceable) drones are legal but it's illegal to shoot them down.

I've long had this fantasy about shooting out tires or windows of cars that drive like a-holes around here. Things like cars who get into left turn only lanes, so they can drive up to the front of the line that I'm waiting in, then shove their way in the front of the line.

But I always figured I'd get caught.

I like this plan.

Hi

I'm in a hotel room i just rented.

i'm maybe 3 floors up,, one of thousands of faceless windows looking down into this street.

I have my gun on a drone, and i am flying it along the street.. i will empty the clip into whoever i want, ditch it in a trash can, and then it's just an casual stroll away.. no one the wiser.

catch me if you can.

this ridiculous never-could-happen-and-thus-should-never-be-considered-a-possibility-until-too-late scenario brought to you by very little imagination at all.

BangBangBangBangBang

~Bye

Hi

I'm a responsible gun owner who always obeys every tenet of gun safety.

because, as a responsible gun owner, i know that my gun is perfectly safe when it's loaded and ****ed (primed to fire) and most importantly, flying free and not in my responsible hand.

And it's especially safe when the trigger is operated by a simple mechanical device that would never accidentally fire, because everyone who has ever flown a drone knows how unbelievably easy to fly and control all of them are. None of those hand held controls are difficult or touchy at all.

~Dang

So a college student managed to make it work once without killing someone and it's now proven safe? Serious question... are you high?

I'm pretty sure firing a gun from a helicopter or other aircraft is illegal in all 50 states. There is NO precedent for mounting a firearm on a drone that a shooter can use to kill someone (an assassination) remotely. Once you mount a weapon on a drone, it is no longer restricted to your property. It is a dangerous offensive weapon that even with the best intentions could kill someone because of a stiff breeze. 

And the irony here is that it is illegal to shoot down someone else's drone. 

New Jersey man shoots down drone over his property, gets arrested.

So yeah, lets have an insane world where armed (possible untraceable) drones are legal but it's illegal to shoot them down.

It's been proven that it can be done safely.

Drones are not aircraft and not under aircraft regulations below a certain altitude.

There is no precedent ... and who cares? There isn't precedent for a lot of things, but I don't see people rushing to ban them.

Once you mount a weapon to a drone, the drone is still restricted to your property, just like your car or any other vehicle. The gun is the same whether the drone has it or you hold it. Guns have been, and will always be, dangerous, offensive weapons. Putting it on a drone doesn't change the nature of a firearm.

Assassination? What's to stop them from doing it if it's against the law? We should make it illegal because someone might do something already illegal with it? I mean, are you for banning all vehicle motors over a certain speed because someone run someone over?

A stiff breeze? Do you understand how firearms work? Do you understand how the drown is actually firing the pistol in these videos?

Do you have any idea how nonsensically terrified you sound like? You're basically the modern day version of people who screamed against gays because of the sanctity of marriage.

Hi

i'm maybe 3 floors up,, one of thousands of faceless windows looking down into this street.

I have my gun on a drone, and i am flying it along the street.. i will empty the clip into whoever i want, ditch it in a trash can, and then it's just an casual stroll away.. no one the wiser.

catch me if you can.

this ridiculous never-could-happen-and-thus-should-never-be-considered-a-possibility-until-too-late scenario brought to you by very little imagination at all.

BangBangBangBangBang

~Bye

Couldn't one do the same thing with a pipe bomb, bottle of acid, pigs blood, or like 800 marbles?

Couldn't one do the same thing with a pipe bomb, bottle of acid, pigs blood, or like 800 marbles?

Sure,

Let me run on down to my local retailer and buy me a pipe bomb.

be right back.

~Boom

Hi

catch me if you can.

BangBangBangBangBang

~Bye

Hi

I'm a responsible gun owner who always obeys every tenet of gun safety.

until i just flew my drone into a tree and the trigger mechanism squeezed and shot my buddy.

because, as a responsible gun owner, i know that my gun is perfectly safe when it's loaded and ****ed and not in my hand.

And it's especially safe when the trigger is operated by a simple mechanical device that would never accidentally fire, because everyone who has ever flown a drone knows how unbelievably easy to fly and control all of them are.

~Dang

Do you have any idea how amazingly nonsensical this post is?

Realistically, how does making this a felony stop someone who WANTS TO MURDER people? Do you think they're going to say, "Well golly gosh darn, I would go on a murderous spree, but I only want to do it with a drone and that's a felony"

Seriously, do you believe this college student should go to prison, get a permanent record, and lose some of their constitutional rights for life over hooking up a gun to a drone and shooting it on his property?

Sure,

Let me run on down to wal Mart and buy me a pipe bomb.

be right back.

~Boom

SKU-700-DeluxePlusAlu7ltr.jpg

New+Year+Fireworks+Sales+Begin+jcK4kvgEG

Will likely take you less time than buying a gun.

You really do have a problem with reading comprehension, don't you?
I NEVER ONCE HAVE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT ARRESTING THIS COLLEGE STUDENT.

In fact, any furter attempts to pierce your skull will be suspended until you accurately understand what has been written

so far, you have failed.

Miserably.

In fact, i even wrote a  pair of sentences SPECIFIC to this college student and what he has done, and why that has caused agitation.

If you can find, read it, and comprehend it, you can have an apple.

Until then, 

~Beat it.

Really admiring the speed with which some people can run back and forth between "it's perfectly safe, because it's illegal to take the drone off your property", and "making it illegal is useless if somebody wants to kill someone, because killers don't respect laws".

You really do have a problem with reading comprehension, don't you?

I NEVER ONCE HAVE SAID ANYTHING ABOUT ARRESTING THIS COLLEGE STUDENT.

In fact, any furter attempts to pierce your skull will be suspended until you accurately understand what has been written

so far, you have failed.

Miserably.

In fact, i even wrote a pair of sentences SPECIFIC to this college student and what he has done, and why that has caused agitation.

If you can find, read it, and comprehend it, you can have an apple.

Until then,

~Beat it.

All you've said is that you want to make what the college student illegal because you're scared someone somewhere might do something nefarious with this technology.

Easier to build that then buy a gun.

Lets say you're a cop and you see me walking with a bag, and in it is a new pressure cooker.

you say.. what are you doing with that, and i say, I bought a pressure cooker, i am going to make chicken.

Do you arrest me?

hell no, because that is what a pressure cooker is intended to do.

And what happens if you see me with a pressure cooker that has been modified into a bomb?You arrest me and get hailed a hero because i am likely going to cause mayhem, and a bomb like that is illegal.

Again,, i never have said remove the gun, restrict the gun.

I say you hae to hold it to shoot it.

No way anyone can convince me it is safer floating loaded and primed on a drone there than in the gun owner's responsible hand.

~Bang

Really admiring the speed with which some people can run back and forth between "it's perfectly safe, because it's illegal to take the drone off your property", and "making it illegal is useless if somebody wants to kill someone, because killers don't respect laws".

No one has said it's perfectly safe. Life is not perfectly safe. If we tried to make it perfectly safe, we wouldn't have cars, beer, football, asprin, or swimming pools.

All you've said is that you want to make what the college student illegal because you're scared someone somewhere might do something nefarious with this technology.

I'm sorry, but the person you are attempting to communicate with has determined it to be a waste of our times.

~Thanks

A drone that explodes would be more effective than a drone with a gun at causing terror and at killing people.  Video games have been teaching us that for years.  Nothing more annoying than those enemies that just fly into you and blow up. 

The only way this armed drone thing becomes a real problem is if an industry pops up selling ready made kits and targeting software making an armed drone easy to put together and operate.  If that became popular and dodged gun laws by not actually selling guns, I could see some lunatic eventually getting bangs hotel scenario in his head. 

Lets say you're a cop and you see me walking with a bag, and in it is a new pressure cooker.

you say.. what are you doing with that, and i say, I bought a pressure cooker, i am going to make chicken.

Do you arrest me?

hell no, because that is what a pressure cooker is intended to do.

And what happens if you see me with a pressure cooker that has been modified into a bomb?You arrest me and get hailed a hero because i am likely going to cause mayhem, and a bomb like that is illegal.

Again,, i never have said remove the gun, restrict the gun.

I say you hae to hold it to shoot it.

No way anyone can convince me it is safer floating loaded and primed on a drone there than in the gun owner's responsible hand.

~Bang

It's safer on the drone. Drones don't have negligent discharges. Just like when you put a gun in a shooting dock.

A drone that explodes would be more effective than a drone with a gun at causing terror and at killing people. Video games have been teaching us that for years. Nothing more annoying than those enemies that just fly into you and blow up.

No a drone that can send real time video link to a mortor team would be more effective at causing terror.

A drone that explodes would be more effective than a drone with a gun at causing terror and at killing people.  Video games have been teaching us that for years.  Nothing more annoying than those enemies that just fly into you and blow up.

The thought has occurred to me. I assume that drone-based marksmanship probably sucks. Whereas, as the saying goes, close only counts . . . .

The thought has occurred to me. I assume that drone-based marksmanship probably sucks. Whereas, as the saying goes, close only counts . . . .

Now it does. Team it up with that smart scope and computer tech and it's probably a lot more accurate. Only thing left is to compensate for recoil and how to carry more weight.

It's been proven that it can be done safely.

Drones are not aircraft and not under aircraft regulations below a certain altitude.

There is no precedent ... and who cares? There isn't precedent for a lot of things, but I don't see people rushing to ban them.

Once you mount a weapon to a drone, the drone is still restricted to your property, just like your car or any other vehicle. The gun is the same whether the drone has it or you hold it. Guns have been, and will always be, dangerous, offensive weapons. Putting it on a drone doesn't change the nature of a firearm.

Assassination? What's to stop them from doing it if it's against the law? We should make it illegal because someone might do something already illegal with it? I mean, are you for banning all vehicle motors over a certain speed because someone run someone over?

A stiff breeze? Do you understand how firearms work? Do you understand how the drown is actually firing the pistol in these videos?

Do you have any idea how nonsensically terrified you sound like? You're basically the modern day version of people who screamed against gays because of the sanctity of marriage.

Again. ONE college student did a limited test; FOUR SHOTS, and you think that proves it's safe?  You're standing pat with that? REALLY? 

I'm a gun owner so yeah, I understand exactly how a gun works. DO YOU?

The video doesn't show a target or if it was hit. Just random shots. A percentage of a millimeter movement can send a bullet off target by yards depending on the distance to target. How much movement do you think a gust of wind produces on a drone? 

I'm very confident that I sound like a sane, rational person who can see the potential for both tragic accidents and criminal use of what can only be classified as a home made, military weapon system. How do you think you sound?

Absolutely. Bombs attached to drones should scare anyone. Fortunately the bombs themselves are illegal and this provides some barrier to use as the FBI and ATF do a pretty good job of tracking bomb making materials already. 

No drone zones can go a long way toward reducing the threat as well. Unfortunately a drone with a gun can stand off and still do a lot of damage.

The only way this armed drone thing becomes a real problem is if an industry pops up selling ready made kits and targeting software making an armed drone easy to put together and operate.  If that became popular and dodged gun laws by not actually selling guns, I could see some lunatic eventually getting bangs hotel scenario in his head. 

You just nailed the reason they must be made illegal.

Archived