Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Legal Advice: Beards, Religion and Employment

G.A.C.O.L.B.

I've always had sensitive skin, REAL bad acne as a teen. I'm talking Quasimodo, "LOOK AWAY" type acne. As an adult, as soon as I could I've always had some sort of full beard as a kind of cover for it. Keep **** off the skin that keeps it clean and to cover up anything that did pop up. Has worked perfectly.

So fot many,many years I worked as a delivery driver for one of the major pizza chains. There came a point where my beard became an issue. They made it clear that unless it was for religious reasons, it had to go. Ok, it was for religious reasons then.

Been using that ever since (and have actually gotten closer and closer to the religious become real over time as well.)

Well right now job hunting. Found a place where I think I would love to work. Only problem, company policy is no facial hair.

Now am I wrong or would such a policy interfere with my religious federal/state rights? Anyone know?

Why have other companies allowed it then?

Yeah, I think it depends on the type of job it is. In the food service industry you can pretty much count on a strict policy on facial hair. For other companies I think the religious aspect would work in a lot of cases but you never know how bold some places might be in regards to challenging whether or not you're reasoning is legitimate.

Jesus had a beard, right?  I had a beard once and had a job during that time.  It was a scraggly ass beard too.  Now my beard is so gray that I wouldn't grow it to save my life.  Never been a grecian guy.  

:)

I could see it being an issue with food service.  They make beard nets though.

See? I've been out of the food biz for 13 months & forgot all about those...they do make 'em, & most restaurants have them provided, but if you've gotta buy 'em, they aren't expensive, certainly worth it if you need/want.

From my understanding,  the EEOC has said that private employers do have the right to set their own dress and grooming (including facial hair) codes.

UNLESS it's for religious reasons or medical reasons that you need to keep the facial hair. 

Then half the women in my office need to shave the caterpillars on their upper lips.  And the old men with their barbed wire, goes in every direction eyebrows need to go too. 

If someone told me I couldn't have a job because of facial hair, I'd tell them I don't want the job. I usually have a moustache or some kind of round beard or full beard.  Can't go without facial hair.  I'd look worse than I already do.

when job HUNTING it isn't the explicit "we won't hire you because of a beard" as much as the general impression you give.  

if you are looking like this guy: 

Unabomber.jpg

shave teh beard and grow it back later if you still want it.

......and hint... at least 80 percent of beards DO look like unabomber material, when you get right down to it, and 15% of the rest  look like weird freaky miami vice/george michael/metrosexual--- if you want to take the chance that YOU are the 5% that are ok... then run wit that :)

I've worked in the service industry for some time. Though most places say you need to be clean shaven, many are lax on it if it is well groomed and you work hard.

Unfortunately, religious and/or personal rights do not carry any weight. Find a company/owner that is ok with it and you'll be fine.

Archived