Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things Sports Talk Radio - DMV (met)

Zguy28

On 3/27/2024 at 4:12 PM, TD_washingtonredskins said:

I don't tune in much, but I don't think the shows are all that bad. I've lived here for 40+ years and listened to sports radio for most of that time...I think Sheehan, Grant & Danny, Finley, etc. are all perfectly capable local sports guys. 

It was better before 1067 became all sports talk 

I'm old 

On the Junkies this morning, Jason Bishop responding to reports that Maye was not on our list of QBs: "I hope he makes them regret it."

Really? DC host openly rooting against the team? Come the **** on. Can you imagine that being said in Philly or NY? Dude would need police protection.

And Reddit was praising Wilbon in one of the NBC-going-to-NBA threads.

Wilbon may have been in this area a long time but he abandoned support for any of the local teams a long time ago. He is a has-been.

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

@Riggo#44, your Chris Russell hatred is justified, and not harsh enough.  He really might be the worst radio host I’ve ever heard. Example below:

What an absolute clown.  I’ve already said my piece about that garbage caller “Sabah”, but the racial undertones and the stirring the pot is just unlistenable.  He really needs to go.  DC Sports Radio as a whole has to be nuked, if this is what’s considered relevant offseason talk.

Edited by samy316

Meh it's a 1 minute clip of him talking about the number, not a big deal imo.  I definitely get why people don't like him though.

Sabah on the other hand is only allowed on the air because she is polarizing.  She clearly gets people talking.  I mean look you made a post on a forum about her lol.  

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, purbeast said:

Meh it's a 1 minute clip of him talking about the number, not a big deal imo.  I definitely get why people don't like him though.

Sabah on the other hand is only allowed on the air because she is polarizing.  She clearly gets people talking.  I mean look you made a post on a forum about her lol.  

You must be a fan of that garbage.  She’s utterly unlistenable and unhinged.  Thank God for podcasts like Al Galdi, because this trash being representative of DC sports talk radio is why DC isn’t considered a serious sports town.  Do you think that NY sports radio or Chicago sports radio would let unhinged/dumb callers like Sabah call into every radio show and basically devote an entire 3-5 minutes of their ramblings and garbage thoughts?

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, samy316 said:

You must be a fan of that garbage.  She’s utterly unlistenable and unhinged.  Thank God for podcasts like Al Galdi, because this trash being representative of DC sports talk radio is why DC isn’t considered a serious sports town.  Do you think that NY sports radio or Chicago sports radio would let unhinged/dumb callers like Sabah call into every radio show and basically devote an entire 3-5 minutes of their ramblings and garbage thoughts?

No I can't stand her and agree with you she sounds like a looney.  But I can understand why they put her on there.  I mean you have now made 2 posts about he being on Russel's show.  You have drawn attention to her not once, but twice lol.  So it works.

I also don't really know or care if NY or Chicago would put someone like her on.  And I don't care if DC is considered a sports town or not lol that has zero effect on me and my fandom.

The quality of the 2 Audacy stations in DC stink. We know that. We bring it up every few months. They don't have other quality hosts/shows to fill 1 station for a full day. But they go ahead and do 2.

It doesn't matter. But you could send their bosses a note at https://www.audacy.com/theteam980/contact-us.

Though, if you were to do it, I'd go a level up and send a note to Audacy to please save sportstalk in DC. https://audacyinc.com/contact/. It probably won't do anything, but it has a better chance than posting here about it.

1 hour ago, samy316 said:

I used to stream wfan daily 5-10 years ago. Trust me, they have many callers that contact that station who are much worse than Sabah lol.

Anyway, I'm fan with the current lineups, they are far from perfect but things could be worse. 

Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

The quality of the 2 Audacy stations in DC stink. We know that. We bring it up every few months. They don't have other quality hosts/shows to fill 1 station for a full day. But they go ahead and do 2.

It doesn't matter. But you could send their bosses a note at https://www.audacy.com/theteam980/contact-us.

Though, if you were to do it, I'd go a level up and send a note to Audacy to please save sportstalk in DC. https://audacyinc.com/contact/. It probably won't do anything, but it has a better chance than posting here about it.

I personally think that they should just nuke both stations, and start over.  I’d get rid of everyone on both stations (except for Sheehan and Craig Hoffman.  I would also throw money at Al Galdi to lure him back to radio.  The next thing I’d do is ban fan calls from ALL shows. Treat the shows like podcasts, where the hosts have segments and then the only guests would be journalists (like Keim or Standig).  I would run the station like ESPN Radio, in that I would not let any of my shows have any dumbass callers calling in to give their stupid, unhinged takes.  No more callers like Ian or Sabah or anyone else.

Edited by samy316
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, samy316 said:

I personally think that they should just nuke both stations, and start over.  I’d get rid of everyone on both stations (except for Sheehan and Craig Hoffman.  I would also throw money at Al Galdi to lure him back to radio.  The next thing I’d do is ban fan calls from ALL shows. Treat the shows like podcasts, where the hosts have segments and then the only guests would be journalists (like Keim or Standig).  I would run the station like ESPN Radio, in that I would not let any of my shows have any dumbass callers calling in to give their stupid, unhinged takes.  No more callers like Ian or Sabah or anyone else.

Your station would get canceled within 1.5 years. That format would not be entertaining to the masses. 

6 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Your station would get canceled within 1.5 years. That format would not be entertaining to the masses. 

Nah. If that were the case, podcasts wouldn't been taking more and more listeners from radio. 

Right now 980/1067 are running a bare bones operation. 3 and 4 hour long shows. Engineers being dragged in the air to help fill time. Way too many caller segments. Chris Russell who still can't form complete sentences and Doc Walker who must fill in for free. It's like Dan Snyder is running that ****. 

2 minutes ago, @DCGoldPants said:

Nah. If that were the case, podcasts wouldn't been taking more and more listeners from radio. 

Right now 980/1067 are running a bare bones operation. 3 and 4 hour long shows. Engineers being dragged in the air to help fill time. Way too many caller segments. Chris Russell who still can't form complete sentences and Doc Walker who must fill in for free. It's like Dan Snyder is running that ****. 

Apparently they're doing fine, it's harder to keep track these days since DCRTV no longer exists but I'm pretty sure both stations are doing well in the ratings. 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Apparently they're doing fine, it's harder to keep track these days since DCRTV no longer exists but I'm pretty sure both stations are doing well in the ratings. 

https://radioinsight.com/ratings/washington-dc/

Fine is relative. They aren't investing much into quality. So they probably are fine with the results. 

Edited by @DCGoldPants
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

I don’t know if you’ve listened to 106.7 or 980 in the last 5 years, but I can assure you that they’re doing anything but fine.  They’ve had so many ownership changes and instability with host lineups that it’s amazing that both stations are even operating at this point.  Radio as a whole is a dying business, since people under the age of 40 now have Spotify, podcasts or audiobooks to listen to on their drive to work.  Terrestrial radio is an archaic operation at this point, and the listeners to stations like 106.7 and 980 are over the age of 40, and probably more like 50+ if we’re keeping it real.  It would probably do them good to develop a podcast type format to draw in younger listeners.  There are lots of sports fans under the age of 35, who would listen to that type of radio.

I have younger brothers in that 30-35 range who laugh at the fact that I still have 106.7 and 980 as preset dials on my car radio.  The younger sports audience can’t stand the traditional radio format, and that goes double for stations that have horrible sports radio hosts like both stations do AND terrible callers like both stations do.

Edited by samy316

sports talk is for fan callers and hot takes

the more educated of us moved on to podcasts long ago. For instance Keim's podcast is must listen. He rarely gives into the drama and hype and analyzes everything with a reasoned mind. For example everyone was crying about the number drama with JD and Tress and Keim outlined that initially Way was not willing to give 5 up because of what it meant to him and he was the captain. But after being asked again and more discussions he decided to give Daniels the number. There was no animosity or drama, just facts

I will say though for podcasts like Nats Chat where Gaudi is now, or Keim's podcast, they are overly reliant on advertising. You'll be listening and then they shove in 2 or 3 ads. That's why I always have the fast forward button ready to skip ahead 30 seconds or until the actual discussion returns. But you can get a lot of drama-free intel and insight listening to reasonable sports podcasts.

It depends on the podcast, I like Ben Hoffman and his structure isn't much different from radio. However, I don't like McAfee's lack of structure. Its way to immature and stupid, nothing but speculation, Aaron Rodgers and random boneheaded chants and grunts. I'll watch a McAfee clip on YouTube titled "Comander's Draft" or something, he'll mention the Commanders and then go on a 10 minute tangent filled with grunting and stupid ****. If thats where you want radio to head, count me out.

31 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

McAfee is one of the most popular national radio shows though 

How popular is First Take? Being popular doesn’t make it good.

The Screaming Idiot is excruciatingly vapid. He just spouts asinine drama into the microphone because, like Two Minute Rick, his sources have dried up. Audicy is only doing well in the ratings because they have no real competition. They are broke, so they recycle the Screamjng Idiot, his equally unintelligent Loud ass Windbag (Willingham), Doc Walker and other low-budget crap.

It makes me crazy how few on that station are a fan of the teams they cover. This does not happen in NY, Chicago, Philly…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

How popular is First Take? Being popular doesn’t make it good.

The Screaming Idiot is excruciatingly vapid. He just spouts asinine drama into the microphone because, like Two Minute Rick, his sources have dried up. Audicy is only doing well in the ratings because they have no real competition. They are broke, so they recycle the Screamjng Idiot, his equally unintelligent Loud ass Windbag (Willingham), Doc Walker and other low-budget crap.

It makes me crazy how few on that station are a fan of the teams they cover. This does not happen in NY, Chicago, Philly…

He's more tolerable than anyone in the DC market right now. (Pat) 

Edited by ixcuincle